Kraton Alternative to Drywall Tape / Shoe-Goo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm close to approaching the body reinforcement phase of my Kraton EXB build (Drywall tape + Shoe Goo) and I'm not looking forward to it..... Fiddly and messy.

This would probably defeat the purpose by costing more, but would an alternative be to simply use two bodies Shoe-Glued together? Again not sure it makes sense considering the whole point is to not have to buy a second body quite so soon, but just wondering if anyone has attempted that?
just get a russian body and all your problems go away. they just don,t look as nice but very strong

Going to throw my .2 here:
-I did the shoo goo and drywall tape on my granite body and it's held up great so far.
-I had a tube of roofing clear silicon and used that instead of shoo goo for my Granite and it's also held up fantastic. That tube cost around $8 and you get 5x more than a small $6 tube of shoo goo lol. I'll be using roofing silicon from now on.
-Why use your fingers, when you can use FOAM PAINTBRUSHES!! work SMARTER not harder guys!! Ok you cant reuse them, but they cost around $5 for a big bag at your local hardware/paint store (home depot/lowes).
-Still wear a mask and do it outdoors (if you can).

I ended up doing dry wall tape with Gorilla crystal clear grab adhesive. Which is the stickiest substance known to man.

However, it came out relatively well and is much improved.

6DFAE221-0D72-44E9-BC28-E587F28F66C1.jpeg

Toxicity of Shoe Goo doesn't surprise me. Anything that smells that bad can't be good to breathe. I tackled the job on the weekend. Used a full on 3M respirator and latex gloves, then aired out the house completely! Was as messy as expected. 2.5 tubes of shoe goo.

Body still stinks though (my RC body stinks; my body smells very pleasant) so I have it in the garage. Hopefully toxicity not so bad when it's dried.

Agreed. Sounds like you covered your bases, too.

Sometimes, the "good stuff" is the nasty stuff, like quick disconnect electronics cleaner, brake cleaner, and drain de-clogger...

Shoe goo is a butadiene-styrene copolymer. It would be nice if it could be sprayed on thin, but I can't think of any products with similar formulation in a rattle can. I'll keep my eye out (I am a hazmat approver for a power plant, three sewer plants, and a shipyard. I see a lot of SDSs...)

Drywall tape ( make sure you hot glue it down on the edges a little bit) and a can of the spray Flex Seal stuff. I put on a few very light coats and allowed to dry between, body has held up over a year. Turned out quite a bit lighter weight than my E6000'd body. Then again I did put 3 big tubes on it....pretty much indestructible though haha.

I like my thick black gorilla tape... holds together pretty well, maybe not as solid as the show goo method but not nearly as expensive time consuming or hand murdering 😂🤣

View attachment 138064View attachment 138065
This works well I think. It’s all I have ever done to my bodies
You could go with the stuff they put on truck beds. Save you money in the long run. I went to one of those places and the guy did it for $40.

View attachment 142919
If you decide to try this yourself be sure to scuff body before applying. I did this to my mt8e and help up well

Not as durable as these options but better than nothing some gorilla duct tape over the body mount areas and inside the fenders has helped extend the life of my body by at least 30% I'd say. Much less weight and mess too.

Has anyone heard of 3M Blenderm tape? We use the stuff for hinging and repairs on airplanes, but I also use it with great success for mending lexan. It's cheapest on Amazon in 1" rolls. The stuff is a spooky kind of amazing, as if the design was smuggled from a secret space program lab or something. I'm not really into RC body condoms with the goo and all, I just replace 'em, but for those of you stretching the life out on bodies this stuff may be to your liking. It would weigh a ton less.

Agreed. Sounds like you covered your bases, too.

Sometimes, the "good stuff" is the nasty stuff, like quick disconnect electronics cleaner, brake cleaner, and drain de-clogger...

Shoe goo is a butadiene-styrene copolymer. It would be nice if it could be sprayed on thin, but I can't think of any products with similar formulation in a rattle can. I'll keep my eye out (I am a hazmat approver for a power plant, three sewer plants, and a shipyard. I see a lot of SDSs...)
What about silicone caulking? I bet there's a product on the shelves, right next to the other adhesives that would be perfect. I mean, if you can do it for a couple of bucks? You don't have to make permanent-forever, like using construction adhesive, but something in the caulk categorey.

It's all fair game but keep in mind what you want to accomplish.

You have 2 types of body damage, tears and punctures. Tearing is minimized by the drywall tape and punctures are prevented by something with resistance yet flexible enough to not crack. Shoegoo is almost ideal for it, any silicon will be too soft imho.

No idea on gorilla glue but anything with the shoegoo properties outlined above will work.

I never had any luck with any tape, even when I 'activated' the glue with heat. Always had a corner lift adding dirt etc, it never prevented any tears as dirt comes through the initial crack and it looses adhesion.

I've seen truck bed liner used too on YouTube but never tried it
I have actually started it. Only the rear bumper area figuring im going to cut it when I mount my wing. I washed with Dawn dish soap. Scruffed with fine grit sand paper. Can of liner was $11.

16201590277343334392827573233387.jpg

I have actually started it. Only the rear bumper area figuring im going to cut it when I mount my wing. I washed with Dawn dish soap. Scruffed with fine grit sand paper. Can of liner was $11.

16201590277343334392827573233387.jpg
Was hoping it would also color in areas where paint bben scrapped off. After next coat I'll post it

You could go with the stuff they put on truck beds. Save you money in the long run. I went to one of those places and the guy did it for $40.

View attachment 142919

Keep us posted as to how it holds up.
What He Said 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 🤘 (y)
I'm gonna try the "Dogs B*ll*x " with High-Tack Drywall tape just based on cost and good experience with Evostick's "Sticks like Sh*t" product.

But Very interested in some review comments and better still after bashing shots of the truck bed liner and self-applied liner products.

Could you airbrush some detail on the truck bed liner Body? so windows and some minor paneling that might just give it a little more presence and visibility? that body has some cool lines that would really lift that black shell..

NB. I don't even know if bed liner will accept paint at all, let alone get over the texture complications, but I'd wanna try :)

Lol I personally like doing the shoegoo method. Its calming to my overworked brain. But before thst I used the gorilla tape method as well.
Don’t lie. You like the fumes.

View attachment 143839

Was hoping it would also color in areas where paint bben scrapped off. After next coat I'll post it
I did bedliner like that once. Most of it flaked off after crashes. It just didn’t flex.

You should just spend the time doing the shoe goo/drywall tape method then coat with rubberized undercoating spray. It’s worth the effort.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back