Kraton Alternative to Drywall Tape / Shoe-Goo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
either way 😆
Don’t lie. You like the fumes.

I did bedliner like that once. Most of it flaked off after crashes. It just didn’t flex.

You should just spend the time doing the shoe goo/drywall tape method then coat with rubberized undercoating spray. It’s worth the effort.

So things came up so I'm very late but here is my 10$ bed liner spray job. 1 coat. Fine sand paper to scuff. High quality alcohol cleaner. Taped it off. Didn't remove the tortilla tape around body post holes. (I will. Then respray areas.) Haven't bashed yet. Painting letters on tires. Total experiment. 3 diff paints. When I find the 1 then gonna take off tread and wheels and spray clear coat. Typhon mega wing "modified" mounted

20210509_185010.jpg

20210510_120739.jpg

I tried this works great but the tape is rubbish.
20210108_044353.jpg

So I use this now with the plastidip and I've had good results.
20210317_180819.jpg

This is an outcast body is did with a construction silicone/sealant called formoa, thing is damn bombproof but is heavy af.
20210114_050332.jpg

That Formoa shell looks as tough as a brick and just as heavy. How did the plastisol (Plasti-Dip) work? That stuff is stretchy, but light. I'm curious about how it works if laid on thick.

Rhino or Line X bed liner.

That Formoa shell looks as tough as a brick and just as heavy. How did the plastisol (Plasti-Dip) work? That stuff is stretchy, but light. I'm curious about how it works if laid on thick.
Honestly I can stand in the outcast shell and it pops back up 🤣. Yr right though heavy af.
The plastidip works a treat with a few coats I'll post pics later.
For me the formoa is the best but because its so thick its difficult to work with so I may try to thin it somehow for an easier application.

I just did this the first time on a cheapo body I had laying around. I used shoegoo and drywall tape. The tape didn't adhere worth a crap. Figured buying brand name would matter, so I got "duct tape" brand. Used almost an entire thing of shoegoo... On tape that moved, I'd put a bit of goo on it and let it sit a minute, then it stayed. I put a thin layer of glue pressed into the tape on the whole thing with a couple layers of tape around the body mount holes.

$25 painted body
$10 roll of tape
$7 tube of goo

The tape will work for 5+ bodies, so not a whole lot per body.

The smell of shoe goo was awful and is still lingering in my office/RC room even after 4 days.

I don't really care, I just had the body in the closet with a few others for revo's and whatnot. This one was for a stampede, but it's too short and I'm running a probodyrc body on it now that it's a slashpede. I modified a couple mounts for the stampede to put it on my eJato. Will see how it does in the coming months.

2021-0507-eJato-TruckBodyMounts-side-bodyOn.jpg

Heads up UK peeps , if your happy with black...home bargains has the dogs bollox evostick sealant adhesive for only £1.99 instead of £11.99 RRP even £9.99 @ Screwfix etc.....

^^
The white std tape is crap.
There's an orange super sticky one and also a pink one which is super sticky.
I used the duct brand tape again... still sucked, but used E6000 instead of shoegoo on my maxx body. End result seemed pretty similar.

If I end up not using a probodyrc body in the future, I'll get a new roll of the mesh tape and try to find the pink or orange stuff your talking about.
2021-0523-maxx-BodyMeshedE6000-02.jpg

The E6000 smell didn't hang around nearly as long as the shoe goo smell did. I did that one 3 weeks ago and the body still smells like a skunk when I get near it on the truck rack.

Saw a commercial today about "flex paste", I wonder how that adhere's to the bodies:
https://flexsealproducts.com/products/flex-paste

Looks more viscous than flex seal.

4 years and still going, the original V3 that came with my kraton. Fiberglass and shoe goo. A little drywall tape to clean up the edges. Shoe goo the body then add fiberglass then shoe goo on top.

6D83D4AA-3F06-47DC-B678-D93741A84DB2.jpeg

2CA56A6F-5DA5-4565-880C-EA9E0010E672.jpeg

6919DDB6-1349-4256-82B5-AE161E9B12BE.jpeg

A8EEC8F4-6E8A-4D36-B94F-D04C3C00F85F.jpeg

Last edited:
I use a dual temp glue gun with gorilla glue stick on high with a wide tip and a narrow... Fill in all the sharp corners and lay it as reinforcement in prone areas. Then I add a bit of gorilla tape on the flat areas. Works great on the kraton body for me as well as others.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back