Kraton Aussie RC Playgrounds Brutally honest opinion of the K8S. Video

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smokes - I just realised that at current exchange rate he paid even less for the truck than I did £899 ~=1775 AUD ...
Sadly you guys get ripped off though. Doing a US to Aussie dollar exchange, it should only cost $1400 maximum, the same price as the Xmaxx 8S here, both of which are $899 US dollars. That's Horizon Hobby's doing, and what makes it worse is you can't use discount codes with HH products.
Thankfully a hobbyshop here called Crazy Hobbies, who are known for the "cheapest price guaranteed" are now selling the K8S for $1450 Aussie dollars

the X maxx in most places is £50 more expensive than the K8S - I looked at the K8S (massive, looked good) didn't had special battery connectors (traxxas), radio didn't look appealing to me at the time owning a DX4 pro (but being a futaba guy for air) - but in the end it didn't mean much - upgraded to a DX5 pro, bought the smart batteries and charger and bits and bobs - if you don't want to or cant afford to go for a model that you are able to maintain, repair and/or upgrade - has always been the advice I have been given and gave ever since. and I honestly believe what my K8S has gone through so far it has been really forgiving to my wallet - still due to run it first time on stock with a 23T pinion - maybe it will wake it up even more

USD to other ratio has always been poop - thanks to the oil ... remember in his video - Arrma base is the UK, literally 90 minutes up the road from me ...

Last edited:
Every Arrma vehicle has its issues. Well, I don't own the Mojave so I can't comment on that. From what I've seen, that one is spot-on. But as for the infraction, mine can't make it through a full battery pack without hitting thermal at least twice. The rear center dog-bone warps out of shape. And it chews through tires like nobody's business. I could make a list of weak points and trouble spots on every Arrma truck I own. I just don't understand why the Kraton 8s is getting hammered so badly by people. I truly believe it has less weak spots than the 6s version, yet many here I think the 6s version is the greatest truck to ever be built. And don't get me wrong, I love my kraton 6s. But I dumped a ton of money into it.
Not only every Arrma but every RC has its issues.
I don't see it being hammered by people and also don't see the need to be so defensive about criticism.
The 6S versions definitely have their flaws, they are all over this forum.

Arrma teased us with "something you've all been waiting for" and came up with "The King of Kratons".
You buy one, throw in some lipo's, drive it and it just doesn't live up to the expectation Arrma gives it.

And that is totally different with the 6S line. When you buy it, throw in a 6S lipo and drive it you get that young boy whoehaa feeling again.
It's much easier to forgive it's flaws because of this.

We can spent hours debating about the details (size of gears, esc, chassis, radio) but i really think this is the major difference between the Kraton 6S and 8S (out of the box).
the X maxx in most places is £50 more expensive than the K8S - I looked at the K8S (massive, looked good) didn't had special battery connectors (traxxas), radio didn't look appealing to me at the time owning a DX4 pro (but being a futaba guy for air) - but in the end it didn't mean much - upgraded to a DX5 pro, bought the smart batteries and charger and bits and bobs - if you don't want to or cant afford to go for a model that you are able to maintain, repair and/or upgrade - has always been the advice I have been given and gave ever since. and I honestly believe what my K8S has gone through so far it has been really forgiving to my wallet

USD to other ratio has always been poop - thanks to the oil ... remember in his video - Arrma base is the UK, literally 90 minutes up the road from me ...
Can we please stop comparing the K8S with the X-Maxx? They are completely different trucks, both great.

Last edited:
To me it's a V1 vehicle from Arrma and will improve if they continue with the 8s line. I think it's a cool truck but decided to wait for at least the next version to buy. I'm not broke, poor or worried about cost... I'd just prefer to wait because I know Arrma constantly improves.

Every Arrma vehicle has its issues. Well, I don't own the Mojave so I can't comment on that. From what I've seen, that one is spot-on. But as for the infraction, mine can't make it through a full battery pack without hitting thermal at least twice. The rear center dog-bone warps out of shape. And it chews through tires like nobody's business. I could make a list of weak points and trouble spots on every Arrma truck I own. I just don't understand why the Kraton 8s is getting hammered so badly by people. I truly believe it has less weak spots than the 6s version, yet many here I think the 6s version is the greatest truck to ever be built. And don't get me wrong, I love my kraton 6s. But I dumped a ton of money into it.
The K8S is NOT poorly designed. I cannot agree with anyone stating that. The platform is beyond solid, diffs bulletproof, the bulkheads are the thickest I've seen on ANY truck, & I have most of the true 1/5's out there. Just because it has a few bad components, doesn't mean the entire truck is poorly designed. Some people can't understand that. If someone can say this thing is poorly designed after seeing it or running it then we can talk about it. I don't see it self-destructing or eating its diffs with every run like another pathetic ASSy money pit. Arrma can either revise the junk or let aftermarket tackle it. I'll still run the heck out of it either way.

As for the people downing the 8s since the 6s is so great, apples & oranges :cool: What does the 6s have to do with the 8s? They can definitely break the same way, but that's about it. My v2 Kraton, OoB blew a rear bearing in the same hub that's in the v4, with the same pathetic thin bearing that can't handle a few hard turns. HR makes a rear hub with a huge bearing, problem solved. But that same mess been on the 6s for 3 yrs - & even that is a revision from the v1. That's just one problem aftermarket has solved for the 6s trucks. All the cash you can shuck at the 6s won't give it the awesome diff designs in the 8s. I don't get it. I never seen people so caught up on trying to launch such a bigass heavy truck into space. Every last time I took too much air with my 1/5's something broke, from the 30lb DB to the 40lb 5t. How in the hell can I expect a 30lb car to fair any better just because it has the Kraton name. I'll hand it to the guys who are trying to make this beast remotely bashable.

From what i see and concidering the scale of each trucks, the 6s can take more beating than the 8s before bending. You can't compare a 10lbs truck with a 3mm chassis plate to a 24lbs truck with only 1mm more of thickness, this willl obviously be an issue, even with stamped shape in the chassis, hobao tried this too, this doesn't help to reinforce a chassis plate if the material isn't good quality. When i saw 4mm 6061 aluminum chassis, i though, um, my 1/8 HPI vorza as a 4mm 7075...And some even say that they managed to bend this chassis. The 1/7 hobao has a 4mm chassis too, for a smaller truck.

Arrma teased us with "something you've all been waiting for" and came up with "The King of Kratons".
You buy one, throw in some lipo's, drive it and it just doesn't live up to the expectation Arrma gives it.

And that is totally different with the 6S line. When you buy it, throw in a 6S lipo and drive it you get that young boy whoehaa feeling again.

posting way too often but I didnt own any other arrma before the K8S - I saw the videos, bought it, ran it and I was well amazed about the speed, handling and size and stuff on my first run ask my missus without ears I would have smiled a circle - I still think like that but seeing videos of Ed, Eric and Van makes you slightly reconsider but thats a different league - as mentioned I bought the M2C chassis in case I need it not to upgrade right away, if my chassis bends I got a replacement on the shelf same as for spares for my Notorious or Granite (both bought shortly after the K8S - well possibly because I like what I got with the K8S and didnt mind spending more on aarma) - I only compare it to the X Maxx as it looks more MT similar to my Granite (higher body, ride etc) and I am considering it for purchase nothing else - I don't slag models off no need to - own one, make your experience with it or leave it - I am not brand affine either - I like to buy what I want to buy not what others tell me to buy but I also believe I should be able to compare ... some people complain about the K8S but the amount of videos I see where Kev Talbot breaks his XMaxx and other models I just put them into the same bucket - what goes up must come down - compare that to one of my helis hitting the ground its at least a £350 bill - no questions asked, pilot error, electric fault or material giving way doesn't matter ... I have crashed a heli into the ground on purpose for safety reasons and still had a blast due to the flight I had with it and as it did hit a huge puddle and the splash was epic ... get over it, things will break its a matter of when only not if ... in other terms, shoot a bullet proof vest with a 50cal - still designed to be tough and protective but still wont stop it ...

Last edited:
Imho, more a rc car is big more it look like to be slow for the same speed. So i think some people expect to have the same feeling with a bigger scale, i mean by comparing a 1/8 to a 1/5, the 1/5 are way more heavy, if we bring them to the same scale, 1/1, the Kraton 6s would weight 80lbs, when for the K8S it would be close to 100lbs, if you change the motor for a bigger one it will be more and same about the batteries, it is a huge difference, the driving experience can't be same. Imo, 1/5 isn't for me and won't give me what i get with the 1/8, both are fun, but different.

There is also the fact that a 1/5 compared to a 1/8 won't move the same in a rough terrain, the 1/5 will be able to absorb more, when the 1/8 will jump like a grasshopper (depending on how you have set up your shock also, for speed in rough terrain or avoid to bounce after a big jump landing, we can't always have setting which works in both condition), the size/weight ratio really make a difference, and finally the two scale aren't purpose to do the same things.

Last edited:
Idk if this is true but on the 8s esc you need to wait for the slow beeps to hit 8 then you can run it?
Yup. That’s commonplace for all high powered escs.

The throttle doesn’t work until the ESC arms (which is after the last beep)

Idk if this is true but on the 8s esc you need to wait for the slow beeps to hit 8 then you can run it?

Wait the end of the beeps is nothing :LOL: This even goes faster than count 6 seconds.

I would like to see a quicrun 150A in the 6s BLX, i prefer the parameters in the quicrun. Hobao even sell their trucks with it and the programing card.

Wait the end of the beeps is nothing :LOL: This even goes faster than count 6 seconds.

I would like to see a quicrun 150A in the 6s BLX, i prefer the parameters in the quicrun. Hobao even sell their trucks with it and the programing card.
Yeah, it’s not like it takes an hour for the esc to arm. I was just letting him know that’s why you don’t get throttle until the final beep. I’d also like to see the quicrun 150a in the 6s line but that’d make no sense budget wise for arrma.

About the K8S, i would be agree about the electronic, it seems a little bit on the "just enough power" for the size of the truck. It is also true that for the first time, you can't get the speed written on the box with what is in the box, this ins't what Arrma has done with all of their cars so far, you normally reach easily the expected speed. No mater about that it is only a motor pinion to buy or add fans because the motor will get hot, it is different than the other cars. It really seems they reach a manufacturing cost with this car that they don't have with the others and this force them to do short cut.

Not only every Arrma but every RC has its issues.
I don't see it being hammered by people and also don't see the need to be so defensive about criticism.
The 6S versions definitely have their flaws, they are all over this forum.

We can spent hours debating about the details (size of gears, esc, chassis, radio) but i realy think this is the major difference between the Kraton 6S and 8S (out of the box).

Arrma dropped the ball by not throwing in a speed pinion. Imagine if they didn't include the speed pinion with the Talion. You bring it home, throw a 6s battery in and blast down your driveway at a whopping 45 mph. Arrma would get crucified for that and rightfully so. I don't know what they were thinking by undergearing it badly and not including an optional "fun" pinion. If they did, no one would be calling it a slow turd ?

I watched it this morning. Great video @Aussie RC Playground
With all the hype arrma started with the release it was a bit of a dispointment. There were issues immediately. Yet they knew there was issues. The early release units had problems. Nothing was addressed. Now how to fix it? Granted not all people bash hard. So not all will fail but lots will. Makes for poor advertising.

I think it was a great review and I’m an Arrma fan boy. Did anyone lie or try to embellish to make Arrma look bad? NO and in fact you tried to not make them look as bad as they could have. Nothing is perfect and now people have a clear understanding on what to expect if they jump in. I for one watched as you waited for a long time and if a buyer had the same issues, imagine how they would feel if not warned about that. A V1 launch vehicle is hard to nail down the first go around, and I’m sure Arrma will get it right like they did the K6S.

Are you saying that people have used the stock infraction chassis with stock bracing, no reinforcements whatsoever, and converted it to a monster truck with no issues? Full send, no bend? My infraction chassis is bent from the one touch up it had with a curb. I can't possibly see it handling a monster truck setup and not bending. Even the shorter kraton 6s chassis bends.

I really don't think it's fair to play armchair quarterback when you've never driven or owned any of these trucks. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but the largest truck you own is a Typhon. If you owned a kraton 6S I think we could have a more reasonable discussion. Because like I said earlier, which you ignored, if you think the 8S is poorly designed then you *have* to think the same thing of the 6s. Do you understand what I'm saying? Both will bend the chassis. The 6s will also bend the steering plate and the shock towers. Both will bend the center brace. the 6s will also break the plastic suspension mounts. The 6s comes with crappy plastic chassis braces. Would you call that a good design? I can't make you understand this, Jon. All of their trucks are built to a price point. I wish they had designed the 8s stronger and just jacked up the price. But we all know what would have happened if they did that.
I am going to try to say this as diplomatically as I can Ed because I do respect you and all that you do for the board. I know you have greatly helped others here. It’s admirable

I don’t need your permission or approval to my own opinion. This isn’t the first time you have attempted to tell me when I’m allowed to have an opinion but it will be the last. I don’t need to meet your high water mark in order to express my two cents.

You don’t have to like it. You are free to tell me I’m mistaken. I can take that. What I will no longer take is you telling me when or how to express myself.

I hope we can move on from this because I really don’t wish to escalate this into something it doesn’t need to be. ✌?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back