Battery cell issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrma92

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I just purchased another rig ( kration 8S ) With that a few new batteries.X2 Dynamite - 5000mah 4s & X2 gensacearespammers 7200mah 4s.

Both battery sets have about 10 runs on them. I’ve always used them in matching sets. Always been stored and balanced charged.

3 days ago I had to return one of the gen ace batteries because one of the cels was bad. Now I come to find today one of my dynamite batteries has a bad cell.

I’ve been using a SkyRC D100v2 dual charger for both battery types.

Running the batteries in a arrma kration 8S with a Spektrum 160 ESC

Why am I experiencing these isues

What C rating do those batteries have? The Kraton 8s is heavy and a power hog. Needs very high C ratings. 75c-100c min. C ratings from a name brand will probably be more legit. I have several gens-ace-r-spam 6S bricks for all my 6S rigs They are good. Numbers legit. I don't have an 8s. I am not sure Dynamite is that good. I could be wrong. I avoid that brand for electrics and stuff. Others may chime in with what they are using in the 8S. But low C batteries will not cut it for the K8s. :cool:
Edit: Do you find your lipos hot to the touch?
Do you get LVC (low volatge cut) ? Does the ESC shutdown when it gets too hot (Thermal Cut). These are fail safes and something to question.

Last edited:
What C rating do those batteries have? The Kraton 8s is heavy and a power hog. Needs very high C ratings. 75c-100c min. C ratings from a name brand will probably be more legit. I have several gens-ace-r-spam 6S bricks for all my 6S rigs They are good. Numbers legit. I don't have an 8s. I am not sure Dynamite is that good. I could be wrong. I avoid that brand for electrics and stuff. Others may chime in with what they are using in the 8S. But low C batteries will not cut it for the K8s. :cool:

My apologies for not adding that info dynamite batteries are 5000mah 4s 50c & gensacearespammers batteries are 7200mah 4s 75c

Also gensacearespammers battery was the first to have this issue.

My apologies for not adding that info dynamite batteries are 5000mah 4s 50c & gensacearespammers batteries are 7200mah 4s 75c

Also gensacearespammers battery was the first to have this issue.
I added some questions above. Batteries go out of balance. How do you store them? Should be charged to 3.8 voltage/cell and most chargers have a storage mode that brings it to 3.8v. Do you charge and use them right away. Then put in storage again soon after. Lipos sitting charged for 3+ days is no good also. Ruins the cell sooner than laterWhat are Internal resistance of each cell? Did the packs swell up at all. Deform? Hard case or soft case lipos? Defective cells happen from time to time. Not the fault of the user. I say 50C is too low for the 8S/160ampescand that motor. From my experience lipos run sweet for as long as 40 cycles. Then they start to go south and one cell cant keep up with the rest. Industry standards say more. But reality for me is maybe 40. And that's a name brand battery. Just some thoughts. I never like to recommend lipos to people because there are so many variables with them and what works for some and not for others. I try different brands. As of late I have new yowoos, Graphene lipos (2) 3s 5000mah, 100C's for my Limitless. They are still new. And I like them. Yoowoo makes HRB lipos also. And many like them. But when it comes to lipos you want fresh, not sitting around for a year. That's how you end up with bad ones sometimes.
Hard to control sometimes. Depend who you buy from. I get my gens-ace-r-spam direct from Cali. Great tech support. The yoowoos were Amazon bought. You want to buy from a vendor that sells a lot of lipos to get the fresh ones. IMO :cool:

C rating is ok.
I would assume you run your truck to LVC level, that is a surefire way to ruin your batteries rather quickly.
Stay above 3.6V at any given time, typically 3.7V per cell with a little room for error.

Plus what @SrC stated about storage level, never store empty or fully loaded.

Set your Firma 160 ESC to 3.4v(highest) LVC in the settings. Confirm that it is. By default it may be at 3.0. And it can be set as lowa as 2.6v in that settings menu. That spells disaster. That will definitly do a number on your cells even bringing them down to 3.0v.(n):cool:

I added some questions above. Batteries go out of balance. How do you store them? Should be charged to 3.8 voltage/cell and most chargers have a storage mode that brings it to 3.8v. Do you charge and use them right away. Then put in storage again soon after. Lipos sitting charged for 3+ days is no good also. Ruins the cell sooner than laterWhat are Internal resistance of each cell? Did the packs swell up at all. Deform? Hard case or soft case lipos? Defective cells happen from time to time. Not the fault of the user. I say 50C is too low for the 8S/160ampescand that motor. From my experience lipos run sweet for as long as 40 cycles. Then they start to go south and one cell cant keep up with the rest. Industry standards say more. But reality for me is maybe 40. And that's a name brand battery. Just some thoughts. I never like to recommend lipos to people because there are so many variables with them and what works for some and not for others. I try different brands. As of late I have new yowoos, Graphene lipos (2) 3s 5000mah, 100C's for my Limitless. They are still new. And I like them. Yoowoo makes HRB lipos also. And many like them. But when it comes to lipos you want fresh, not sitting around for a year. That's how you end up with bad ones sometimes.
Hard to control sometimes. Depend who you buy from. I get my gens-ace-r-spam direct from Cali. Great tech support. The yoowoos were Amazon bought. You want to buy from a vendor that sells a lot of lipos to get the fresh ones. IMO :cool:

Thanks for the reply.

C rating:
gensacearespammers = 70
Dynamite = 50

Lipo hot:
gensacearespammers I found hot- tested the battery and returned is under warranty because one of the cells was damaged.

Just today I found one of my dynamite batteries warm after a run. Tested it and one cell is .17v lower and the others

LVC setting:
LVC is set to high.

ESC thermo shut down:
No my ESC has yet to shut down.

Battery usage:
I balance change my batteries 2-3 hours before I use them.

After each use I put my batteries in storage until I use them next.

You pretty much got it. Good habits.(y)
Now check your ESC LVC cut threshold. Make sure it is all the way up to 3.4volts. Highest setting. I posted above. LVC may be deep discharging them. Read in the ESC manual how to do it manually by light and beep sequence if you don't have a programming card for your Firma 160. This is a very important setting, if you haven't done this already. LVC should cut when one of the cells drops to 3.4v and not lower than that.
Good luck.:cool:

You pretty much got it. Good habits.(y)
Now check your ESC LVC cut threshold. Make sure it is all the way up to 3.4volts. Highest setting. I posted above. LVC may be deep discharging them. Read in the ESC manual how to do it manually by light and beep sequence if you don't have a programming card for your Firma 160. This is a very important setting, if you haven't done this already. LVC should cut when one of the cells drops to 3.4v and not lower than that.
Good luck.:cool:

Thanks SrC for the help.

I’ve ran through the program setting multiple times to double check my double checks. Lol.

I will keep a close eye on all aspects of charging and usage on these batteries to find the problem.

In saying all this ^^^^ when it comes to changer settings.

I’m using a sky RV D100 v2.

1- What should be my discharge rate ( amps ) in storage mode?

2- End voltage is 3.76-3.78

discharge 1c or slower.
be safe :cool:

I just purchased another rig ( kration 8S ) With that a few new batteries.X2 Dynamite - 5000mah 4s & X2 gensacearespammers 7200mah 4s.

Both battery sets have about 10 runs on them. I’ve always used them in matching sets. Always been stored and balanced charged.

3 days ago I had to return one of the gen ace batteries because one of the cels was bad. Now I come to find today one of my dynamite batteries has a bad cell.

I’ve been using a SkyRC D100v2 dual charger for both battery types.

Running the batteries in a arrma kration 8S with a Spektrum 160 ESC

Why am I experiencing these isues
i am experience the same witm my new Kraton 8. Have the 3 smart 5200 LiPo batteries. each cell no more than 3.15 to 3.19 volts. my s2100 charger
indicates charged. then i only get 5 minutes of run time. Sucks.

my smart 5200 indicates charged after charging in my Spectrum S2100 charger. i get only about 5 to 6 minutes of run time . i have a kraton 8 truck. The voltage in the cell show 4.20 volts average. batteries have very little run time. i was getting about 25 minutes when I first purchased the batteries. So I don't think i am getting a full charge. Is it safe to discharge these batteries? thinking it my let me get a full charge. I am new at this RC hobby. Hope you can help.

my smart 5200 indicates charged after charging in my Spectrum S2100 charger. i get only about 5 to 6 minutes of run time . i have a kraton 8 truck. The voltage in the cell show 4.20 volts average. batteries have very little run time. i was getting about 25 minutes when I first purchased the batteries. So I don't think i am getting a full charge. Is it safe to discharge these batteries? thinking it my let me get a full charge. I am new at this RC hobby. Hope you can help.
thanks.
my s2100 does have the storage feature. i will take 2 of the batteries I have and try the storage option and see what happens. so when I want to use my rc truck i will need to bring the batteries to a full charge?

I charge the batteries about 2 hours before I go driving the K8 . Turn of truck. unplug the battery cable,. Let batteries set maybe for 1-2 days , then charge up and go driving. Hoping by having the battery in the go thru the "storage process" on my S2100 charger my help. Then slow re-charge at 2 amp to be safe. thanks again for you info. it's been helpful

I hope I read your post correctly.:unsure:

You absolutely need to Storage charge your lipos immediately after use. (when finished bashing) You are ruining the lipos if you don't.
It appears you are leaving your lipos stored in a Discharge State. (n) No good.
Lipos are always Storage Charged to 3.8v/cell (1C rate as if Full Charging) when at rest and stored. Even for a day or 2 of non use.
It appears you are depending on the Smart Lipo to do all the work.
And it simply does not.
:cool:

I hope I read your post correctly.:unsure:

You absolutely need to Storage charge your lipos immediately after use. (when finished bashing) You are ruining the lipos if you don't.
It appears you are leaving your lipos stored in a Discharge State. (n) No good.
Lipos are always Storage Charged to 3.8v/cell (1C rate as if Full Charging) when at rest and stored. Even for a day or 2 of non use.
It appears you are depending on the Smart Lipo to do all the work.
And it simply does not.
:cool:
Thank You. I will try the storage charge.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back