Vorteks Best diff oil front an rear.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moogy

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Vorteks
Hey guys, I have had my vorteks for about 2 weeks now. I'm want to change the diff oil.. just wondering if anyone on here can help me out with some options please.
Cheers

There is no best diff oil. It depends on preference. You need to know what you want to change. Diffs allow the two wheels they're connected to spin at different speeds. Spinning at different speeds helps you turn. Heavier diff oil makes the two wheels spin at closer to the same speed. Heavier diff oil provides more equal power to both wheels, which can increase traction, reduce spinning out, and help the car accelerate better. But too heavy and you'll start to reduce your turning. As a general rule, heavier diff oil in front helps you accelerate without spinning out coming out of turns. Heavier oil in the rear reduces sliding out when going into turns.

Do you spin going into turns, coming out of turns? Do you mostly drive straight line, or do you like to turn and spin a lot? Heavier oil is better for traction and acceleration. Lighter oil is better for tighter turning.

For the Arrma 3s line, people use 10k-50k, often heavier in front. Stock is 10k front and rear. Search RC differential oil tuning. There are many guides on the internet. These are the first 2 that came up for me. Then experiment with these tips in mind.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=diffe...57j69i64.8280j0j1&pglt=43&FORM=ANNTA1&PC=DCTS
https://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/differential-oil/

Last edited:
There is no best diff oil. It depends on preference. You need to know what you want to change. Diffs allow the two wheels they're connected to spin at different speeds. Spinning at different speeds helps you turn. Heavier diff oil makes the two wheels spin at closer to the same speed. Heavier diff oil provides more equal power to both wheels, which can increase traction, reduce spinning out, and help the car accelerate better. But too heavy and you'll start to reduce your turning. As a general rule, heavier diff oil in front helps you accelerate without spinning out coming out of turns. Heavier oil in the rear reduces sliding out when going into turns.

Do you spin going into turns, coming out of turns? Do you mostly drive straight line, or do you like to turn and spin a lot? Heavier oil is better for traction and acceleration. Lighter oil is better for tighter turning.

For the Arrma 3s line, people use 10k-50k, often heavier in front. Stock is 10k front and rear. Search RC differential oil tuning. There are many guides on the internet. These are the first 2 that came up for me. Then experiment with these tips in mind.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=diffe...57j69i64.8280j0j1&pglt=43&FORM=ANNTA1&PC=DCTS
https://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/differential-oil/
Cheers thanks for the reply.
I'll do some research an have a read thanks again for the info mate

I find that the 3s diffs don't really behave like a normal (bevel) diff in terms of effect of oil viscocity, already at 2k it feels as heavy as 10k... i ended up putting grease on my rear diff as i tried to make it feel lighter and no matter what oil i used felt as heavy as the 10k at the front..

did someone here tried different viscocities and had other experience?

I find that the 3s diffs don't really behave like a normal (bevel) diff in terms of effect of oil viscocity, already at 2k it feels as heavy as 10k... i ended up putting grease on my rear diff as i tried to make it feel lighter and no matter what oil i used felt as heavy as the 10k at the front..

2k and 10k aren't going to feel much different. Diff oil goes all the way to 25million wt.

It does feel different on my 6s cars, 2k feels pretty open, and it goes lineary from there. on the 3s even 2k feels 'stiff', and 10k feels 'very-very-tiny-little-bit-stiffer–than-2k'

I see what you mean.
FWIW, Grease is equivalent to 1k cst silicone oil.

I was thinking of going 20 front and 20 rear
I tried 20 front and rear and it worked well. It provided more controlled wheel spin/slide than 10k. I like to spin/slide, so I'm currently running 10k, but I'm thinking of going back to 20 again. In any case, it's a fine place to start. If you want to spin/slide more, go lighter, if you're still spinning/sliding too much go heavier.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back