Castle 1717 took a dump

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Linky link Found this one. Says V1. What’s that all about? I have a PPS mount. I’m looking for M4x30 mounting holes. This doesn’t specify.
I can't say for certain but I'm willing to bet that v1 is m4x30. I found pictures stating that the v1 58xx was m4x30 and then I also came across this

1653065630207.png

Which states v1 is m4x30. That seller also has an open box version of that motor for a little cheaper haha.

I can't say for certain but I'm willing to bet that v1 is m4x30. I found pictures stating that the v1 58xx was m4x30 and then I also came across this

View attachment 218785
Which states v1 is m4x30. That seller also has an open box version of that motor for a little cheaper haha.
That says 5850. Same difference I guess? TP’s website says the new one (2015) is M4x35.

That says 5850. Same difference I guess? TP’s website says the new one (2015) is M4x35.
ahh I misread lol but yea I think it's probably safe to assume its m4x30. You could always send them a message though. I'm still waiting on my 5650 from tppowerusa. 3 more days will be a month. -_-

ahh I misread lol but yea I think it's probably safe to assume its m4x30. You could always send them a message though
Just did. It’s the last one so I hope they hurry. Lol
Ehh. I ordered it anyways from that link. Should be here next week. Also picked up another XLX2 from my LHS just now. Guess I'm a TP guy now. lol

Last edited:
Just to clarify some info in this thread not all TP Motors have a metal case over the rotor. Only the high RPM CM or SCM motors have that. The rest are Kevlar wrapped like most brushless motors. There is some sort of issue with the Castle 1717 as this issue happens all the time but castle won't own up to it.

The only 2 motors I would recommend from Castle is the 1515 (for light weight 4s setups) and the 1721 motor is great also.

Even still my money always goes to TP Power.

Just to clarify some info in this thread not all TP Motors have a metal case over the rotor. Only the high RPM CM or SCM motors have that. The rest are Kevlar wrapped like most brushless motors. There is some sort of issue with the Castle 1717 as this issue happens all the time but castle won't own up to it.

The only 2 motors I would recommend from Castle is the 1515 (for light weight 4s setups) and the 1721 motor is great also.

Even still my money always goes to TP Power.
Well I ordered a 5670 1270kv and a 5650 1440kv. Hopefully they hold up better.

Oh crap
Those are going to be too fast.... You should send them to me and I'll take care of them for you!

LOL those should be great! You wont have RPM related blow ups with those lower KVs. I suspect you will get the best results out of the 5670.

I have that 5670 1270kv in my kraton 8s and it's nice. You definitely need good batteries as I get cogging/stuttering when going 0-100 with my cnhl 120c racing 8000mah batteries but my 6000mah yowoo graphenes perform excellently.

I actually just started to test "start power" setting in castle esc settings. I've been using low on everything but after trying med on the kraton 8s with that beefy ass motor it makes a really big difference, really big lol. I think the magnets in that motor are ridicolous, even pushing the kraton on the floor it sounds like a machine gun.

Oh crap
Those are going to be too fast.... You should send them to me and I'll take care of them for you!

LOL those should be great! You wont have RPM related blow ups with those lower KVs. I suspect you will get the best results out of the 5670.
Well that makes me feel better. Lol. The 5670 is going in the new speed build and the 5650 is replacing the 1717 in the street basher. I’ll just sell the 1717 when I get the replacement.

Well that makes me feel better. Lol. The 5670 is going in the new speed build and the 5650 is replacing the 1717 in the street basher. I’ll just sell the 1717 when I get the replacement.

That should do well assuming you have some big pinions ;)
Its crazy how fast the $$$ adds up just for pinion gears from SAGA

Linky link Found this one. Says V1. What’s that all about? I have a PPS mount. I’m looking for M4x30 mounting holes. This doesn’t specify.
Yeah that't an older version the don't even make any more and you could order it direct from TP at that price.
It would be a 4y wind from the 5650 line and if you get on direct you can pick the flateds shaft sealed can no water cooling for car in there option v2 can for your 30mm PPS block.

A note after doing the math even though the 1440 is a 200max amp its only a 110 amp continues something to not as the continues is what you want to look at for you ESC as like a max5 is 200A continues. so IMO your looking to low in KV for a 8s RIg,

If you need help finding the continues amp draw this video has all your formulas to get it .

Yeah that't an older version the don't even make any more and you could order it direct from TP at that price.
It would be a 4y wind from the 5650 line and if you get on direct you can pick the flateds shaft sealed can no water cooling for car in there option v2 can for your 30mm PPS block.

A note after doing the math even though the 1440 is a 200max amp its only a 110 amp continues something to not as the continues is what you want to look at for you ESC as like a max5 is 200A continues. so IMO your looking to low in KV for a 8s RIg,

If you need help finding the continues amp draw this video has all your formulas to get it .
For a basher running a 6 pole TP Power with a Hobby wing ESC then yes you can go higher KV....
For a speed runner with a XLX2 you cant go above 1450kv with a 6-pole motor. They have a bug in the castle control software that does not like 6 pole motors with higher KV under extreme loads. Under light loads it probably wouldn't be noticed.

Had to cancel the 5650 order. It was 35mm spacing. I'm gonna search around and see what I can find in stock. Rather not wait a month to get the car back up and running.
Rmamba claims 2-3 weeks if you order from him but its like 30$ express shipping

Ordered through TP. Guess I’ll wait. Wonder how a HW 1650kv would hold up in the meantime.
Haha lowkey I regret ordering from tp instead of mamba cause my motor still not here. I'm actually currently running a hw 1650 with my mmx8s but i replaced the bearings. I've been running it on 8s while waiting on the 5650 and it's been pretty good. with 2x 12v fans off a 4s pack. Geared 29/40 on a limitless

Haha lowkey I regret ordering from tp instead of mamba cause my motor still not here. I'm actually currently running a hw 1650 with my mmx8s but i replaced the bearings. I've been running it on 8s while waiting on the 5650 and it's been pretty good. with 2x 12v fans off a 4s pack. Geared 29/40 on a limitless
Replaced the bearings because they crapped out or just because? Thinking about ordering one to use for the time being and if it lasts I’ll throw it in the O6sEXB when the TP arrives.
I’m only running 23/44 gearing as this isn’t my speed run car.

Replaced the bearings because they crapped out or just because? Thinking about ordering one to use for the time being and if it lasts I’ll throw it in the O6sEXB when the TP arrives.
I’m only running 23/44 gearing as this isn’t my speed run car.

Tbh I only replaced them because MR duke suggested it if wanting to run it on 8s. I don't know if I "had" to. I ran it on 8s few times before I replaced the bearings and it was fine.

Tbh I only replaced them because MR duke suggested it if wanting to run it on 8s. I don't know if I "had" to. I ran it on 8s few times before I replaced the bearings and it was fine.
Maybe I'll get one then. My buddy runs one in his Infraction but he's clueless to motor temps. I told him to back down on the gearing but he doesn't GAF and that thing runs hot as hell and is still kicking.
I’ll just run it on 6s until I get the TP motor, just to be safe. I can still slide around and have plenty of fun. :p

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back