Castle XLX 2 and 1100kv motor issues. Or XLX2 faulty anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? How long ago was that? What connectors were you using? I lost count how many packs, jumps and crashes I have on my XLX2. I did damage the connectors going to the board (the battery ones) on one of my XLX2 ESCS. I pulled on them thinking they were renovable. They are not. They are soldered on. Stupid mistake. Before that it was running perfect (the XLX2). My friend is trying to resolder it, but it's very hard to do. I had to order another one and will be installing it soon 🙄
I'd say its been about a month and a half ago or so, brand new K8s Exb and electronics. Took of at about 30%, went about 6 or 8 feet lost power, fire came out the esc then a few seconds later it blew up the new power hobby 130c graphene packs too. It's was nuts. But castle replaced it with no problem, just got it back together a few days ago.

I noticed that even if I put the LVC on my XLX2 at 3.5V, it still manages to get one of my cells on my batteries to below 3v. Check it out. The batteries storaged charge fine after this. They are brand new new too

20220205_170125.jpg
20220205_170104.jpg

Last edited:
I noticed that even if I put the LVC on my XLX2 at 3.5V, it still manages to get one of my cells on my batteries to below 3v. Check it out. The batteries storaged charge fine after the this. They are brand new new too

View attachment 198122View attachment 198123
That's funny, my replacement one seems to be doing this aswell almost the same numbers. Same on 2 different sets of batteries too. Powerhobby 8000 130c, and Smc 9700 120c (QS8 conects) Power hobbys went up in flames on the charger for no apparent reason a couple of weeks ago.

20211229_173349.jpg

20220124_180310.jpg

That's funny, my replacement one seems to be doing this aswell almost the same numbers. Same on 2 different sets of batteries too. Powerhobby 8000 130c, and Smc 9700 120c (QS8 conects) Power hobbys went up in flames on the charger for no apparent reason a couple of weeks ago.

View attachment 198129

View attachment 198130
Holy crap. I've puffed a few batteries with the XLX2 and HW ESCS and I think it's because I never checked if the LVC was working correctly. That and my extreme crashes from 26ft plus don't help 🤦

Sounds like the LVC is on auto and not custom? If you plug low charge batteries it will automatically lower the LVC value to 3.5x7 (when running 8s), which is 3.06v on 8s. If batteries come unplugged while jumping then this can easily happen. Set the value manually to 28v (3.5x8) and it will no longer lower the value.

Sounds like the LVC is on auto and not custom? If you plug low charge batteries it will automatically lower the LVC value to 3.5x7 (when running 8s), which is 3.06v on 8s. If batteries come unplugged while jumping then this can easily happen. Set the value manually to 28v (3.5x8) and it will no longer lower the value.
I use the Bluetooth link. Can it be done through there? Thanks

Yeah it's in the setting, first one actually. Where it says auto lipo and can be set manually. then the second line under that where it says to set voltage.
Ah OK. Perfect. I see it. I'll try it out. Thanks 👍. Learned something new today
Screenshot_20220206-100118.jpg

Hope it helps. Had the same problem myself, and this fixed it. No more sub 3V cells, lol.

Edit: You might also want to set manually the cell count on Max5/Max6 as well, if you haven't already.

I only have 2 runs with my xlx2 k8s system but so far so good. Temps been really good so far too. First run I had 34/47 and second run was in snow with 31/47. Using a tp 5670 1270kv and we know tp motors typically at least 100kv higher than stated so probably more like 1370kv. Y wind but they've released the firmware for the d wind motors months ago.

Hope it helps. Had the same problem myself, and this fixed it. No more sub 3V cells, lol.

Edit: You might also want to set manually the cell count on Max5/Max6 as well, if you haven't already.
Yeah I'm having the same issue with my HW ones too. And I just figured this out after a few years. Damn I'm dumb. I was too busy sending these things 26ft plus into the air. I got the program card and set the value to high LVC cut off on setting #3 option #4 (stock option is #3), which is not working well!
I'll see what happens next time I run my rigs. Thanks again. Wait, so should I choose the cell count to 8s in option #2 and set the LVC to disabled?

Screenshot_20220206-214137_Drive.jpg

Setting it to "8s" will lock the LVC value. I would try "High" as well. My batts usually end up at around 3.5-6v with this setting.

Setting it to "8s" will lock the LVC value. I would try "High" as well. My batts usually end up at around 3.5-6v with this setting.
Cool. Thanks. I'll try that. Yeah I think that the "disabled" LVC option is not a good idea. I already have it to cut off "high". I just need to put the setting #2 to 8s 👍

Cool. Thanks. I'll try that. Yeah I think that the "disabled" LVC option is not a good idea. I already have it to cut off "high". I just need to put the setting #2 to 8s 👍
I wish I would have seen this thread a couple of hours ago because I ordered the xlx2 now I'm having 2nd thoughts
I wish I would have seen this thread a couple of hours ago because I ordered the xlx2 now I'm having 2nd thoughts

I'm currently running the XLX2 AND 800KV MOTOR on my Outcast 8s and have tried 39/39 gearing and 35/39 gearing with just some heat issues and old batteries puffing but that's about it. I ran it almost nonstop too. Rich mentioned to me that he's heard some catch on fire. What I've seen was exocage have the excessive overload code with the 1100kv on the K8S and Xmaxx, but I think he's over geared with 40/47 gearing I believe. Anyone else? I'm about to try the 1100kv motor from Castle on it but now I'm having second thoughts ?
Kraton 8s exb Xlx2 leopard 56113 1050kv 32/39 chnl 120 c 8000mah - standing backflip, Stock tires or duratrax hachet xs. Monster combo .

After setting everything to manual cut off, my batteries are not being drained too low anymore. Don't worry. It's a great ESC. You just have to tune it, which is very easy to do with either the Bluetooth link or through your PC. I do my tuning with the Bluetooth link personally. I have 4 of these XLX2 ESCS. Even the Max 5 and Max 6 (and even the Max 8 ESC) from hobbywing was draining my batteries too low. Those issues were also solved by setting up the LVC manually 👍

I'm going to be honest and say that the XLX2 is not ideal for extreme bashing. It's meant for speed runs a street bashing (I feel the same about all the Castle systems TBH). Watch my XLX2 fail towards the end of the video

More details of the fail. The bullet came unsoldered from the board

More pictures of the bullets that came unsoldered from the board. I sent a warranty request to Castle for both ESCS since I bought them last year in November so they both still have warranty. Even if they fix or replace them, I think that I'm going to sell them and switch over to a Max 5 ESC. Basher approved and long term durability is key for me. Not how powerful the product is or whatever. Heck, even the sensored function goes away because the sensor breaks inside the motor (that happened to both of my 2028 1100kv Castle motors). So yeah, this sucks 😕

20220324_090623.jpg
20220324_090614.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back