Talion Center Dif. Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

authorjim

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Hello to all
Just recently got a talion. Was working great and breaking it in.
All of a sudden at nearly full speed. It made a terrible grinding noise.
when I took it apart And found a partially ground up acorn type nut in there.
I didn’t realize the spur gear and pinion were so open to debris.
Did anyone have the same experience?
Jim

Hello to all
Just recently got a talion. Was working great and breaking it in.
All of a sudden at nearly full speed. It made a terrible grinding noise.
when I took it apart And found a partially ground up acorn type nut in there.
I didn’t realize the spur gear and pinion were so open to debris.
Did anyone have the same experience?
Jim
Yes the center diff is quite open a object can get lodged in there. You just have to listen and get to know the sounds your RC makes and know when something needs looked at.

Yes the center diff is quite open a object can get lodged in there. You just have to listen and get to know the sounds your RC makes and know when something needs looked at.
We'll eventually be thankful that these essential mechanics are so easily accessible. You probably just got a binding and could maybe never happen again. Plus, an acorn won't hurt your gearing at all. Pick it out, stick a new pack in and send it. Arrma can take it ?

Yeah, it should be able to chew through wood no problem ?

Yeah, it should be able to chew through wood no problem ?
Not sure it was an acorn. It’s really hard like a piece of wood. Had to take diff out to get it out.
the gears are okay but diff housing is scrapped up.
Diff bolts came loose and fluid came out.
what diff fluid weight should I use?
Jim
Here are some photos of diff after it was cleaned of debris

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Not sure it was an acorn. It’s really hard like a piece of wood. Had to take diff out to get it out.
the gears are okay but diff housing is scrapped up.
Diff bolts came loose and fluid came out.
what diff fluid weight should I use?
Jim
Here are some photos of diff after it was cleaned of debris
500k minimum for center.

Thanks for the quick response. Any recommendations on where to buy it. Also, I assume you take out the bolts holding the gear on and put fluid in after you separate the gear from the diff. Any other things I should watch out for. I am obviously new at this.
Thanks
Jim

Thanks for the quick response. Any recommendations on where to buy it. Also, I assume you take out the bolts holding the gear on and put fluid in after you separate the gear from the diff. Any other things I should watch out for. I am obviously new at this.
Thanks
Jim
I use Team Associated oils, but really any brand is fine. They really are pretty much the same. Grab what’s available to you.

As far as disassembly, yes, you just remove the four screws on the main gear and it will pop off the cup. Fill it up to the cross pins and reassemble. Make sure not to over tighten the screws into the plastic cup.

Also I should mention you should inspect everything for damage. The stock fund should not have came out, so look for holes or tears to the gasket. If it all looks good, run with it. If something looks wrong, post up a pic for evaluation.

Thanks again. I will do what you suggested and see what develops.
Jim

That's the main reason I use the Arrma metal diff housing option part at the center. Been there like you. Even this metal one got some debris wear now, but remains functional and intact. Sometimes you cant hear it until its too late. I usually check the chassis mid pack and flip the rig over to tap out garbage. Depends how dirty the field is.:cool:

That's the main reason I use the Arrma metal diff housing option part at the center. Been there like you. Even this metal one got some debris wear now, but remains functional and intact. Sometimes you cant hear it until its too late. I usually check the chassis mid pack and flip the rig over to tap out garbage. Depends how dirty the field is.:cool:
Good suggestion
Thanks
Jim

Does anyone know the front center and rear diff fluid weights stock for the talion.
Jim

Does anyone know the front center and rear diff fluid weights stock for the talion.
Jim
Front and rear stock is 10,000
Center stock is 100,000

You can play with those but most people will run Heavier in the front than rear and Heaviest in the center.
You can find countless combinations here on the forum and none are necessarily wrong and none are perfect for every driver. 500,000 center is a most popular choice as Slick mentioned.

Thanks to crimsonfancy hand jimbobjr.
both good info. I am getting a new diff it looks to worn down to me as well. And under speed and pressure it will fail
Have to wait a bit to fix it but I still have my nasty granite blx.

jim

Be careful the plastic housing is not worn through. Check for tiny pin holes, the new fluid will just fly out and make a mess.
Seeing the screws some through the housing concerns me some and it might be time to pick up another or maybe even upgrade. I wore my Typhon center diff housing into a taper in a similar situation but for me it was the loop connector I failed to secure.
stock
https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/AR310433
upgrade
https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/ARA220050
alternate upgrade
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N7OB...comp-feature-rscomp-wm-5&ref=aa_rscomp_rsrdg2

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back