Kraton diff binding no matter what.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
correct me if im wrong (and link me the mugen gears) but is that not for the 6s line up?
im talking 4/3s line up.

You are correct. I had automatically thought that you were referring to 6s line. My apologies.

Right so I followed the advice and put the shim on the opposite side than in the manual and drove the car with the max power set to 75% and I guess that's too much cos the input gear stiped
So new input (ring is completely fine) and limited max power to 50% after about 10 mins of going up and down a straight but of road I come in and swap the washer back to the normal side, again at 50% I do 10 mins up and down the road then I up it to 75% taking it easy for another 10 mins.
I removed the limit and taking it easy I get up to about 80% of max power and the input gear stipes, what the hell am I doing wrong?

Right so I followed the advice and put the shim on the opposite side than in the manual and drove the car with the max power set to 75% and I guess that's too much cos the input gear stiped
So new input (ring is completely fine) and limited max power to 50% after about 10 mins of going up and down a straight but of road I come in and swap the washer back to the normal side, again at 50% I do 10 mins up and down the road then I up it to 75% taking it easy for another 10 mins.
I removed the limit and taking it easy I get up to about 80% of max power and the input gear stipes, what the hell am I doing wrong?
I wouldn’t put the shim on the other side. I would only put it on the gear side.

I wouldn’t put the shim on the other side. I would only put it on the gear side.
oh.. well i swear someone said to...
but it didnt strip when i had it on the wrong side but after i moved it back, could me putting it on the wrong side have lead me to stripping the input?

oh.. well i swear someone said to...
but it didnt strip when i had it on the wrong side but after i moved it back, could me putting it on the wrong side have lead me to stripping the input?
I believe that someone did. I’m not saying they’re wrong, but I wouldn’t put the shim on the other side myself. What was the reason to move it?

I believe that someone did. I’m not saying they’re wrong, but I wouldn’t put the shim on the other side myself. What was the reason to move it?
idk why they said to swap it, i couldnt really work it out cos its not like it spaces it more away but i assumed they knew better than me so i tried it, maybe its just so you don't lose it?

The 0.3mm shims I got have rust on them. So this is definitely needed.

You should look into getting stainless steel shims from 3Racing. Quality stuff and comes in a bag of 0.1, 0.2, and 0.3mm in many different IDs.

For 3/4s diffs:
1) Make sure all bearings are properly seated on the diff cup assembly and pinion gear.
2) Install the diff assembly and pinion into diff yokes in its relaxed state (no shims).
3) Tighten the screws as you normally would.
4) Move diff assembly back and forth (side to side) to gage backlash.
5) Disassemble yoke and add shim(s) as needed.

No shims should be needed opposite ring gear side as this will push ring gear away from the pinion gear (as @jondilly1974 previously stated). Make sure that bearings are properly seated as this might give someone the impression that shim would be needed opposite ring gear).

Last edited:
You should look into getting stainless steel shims from 3Racing. Quality stuff and comes in a bag of 0.1, 0.2, and 0.3mm in many different IDs.
For 3/4s diffs:

1) Make sure all bearings are properly seated on the diff cup assembly and pinion gear.
2) Install the diff assembly and pinion into diff yokes in its relaxed state (no shims).
3) Tighten the screws as you normally would.
4) Move diff assembly back and forth (side to side) to gage backlash.
5) Disassemble yoke and add shim(s) as needed.

No shims should be needed opposite ring gear side as this will push ring gear away from the pinion gear (as @jondilly1974 previously stated). Make sure that bearings are properly seated as this might give someone the impression that shim would be needed opposite ring gear).

i think the issue might be that the ring and input gears are too tight of a mesh so adding shims would just make it worse
and about making sure all bearings are seated i have some bearing presses and pullers so that shouldnt be an issue

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back