DIY Foam tire truer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LibertyMKiii

Aerodynamics speed junkie
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Mojave
  3. Typhon 6s
I am going to give foams another solid try this spring/summer season.
One thing that comes along with foams is cutting them down. Ideally you do not want to run them at full diameter except for maybe drag racing?

Foam tire truers that are decent quality (not brushed motors) are well over $400.00

I thought I would give it a stab making something with a drill press as I had a need to purchase one anyway for other projects. To adapt for tire truing uses..... this took was an 8mm rod with a hole drilled so you can install an Arrma wheel hex. At that point you can install the 1/8 foam wheel/tire and insert it on the drill press.

I already had the small vice that bolts onto the platform of the drill press. I also already had the lathe turning carbide tool.
From there you just align the carbide cutting edge and use the drill presses' up and down movement to cut down the tire. It is messy business so a shop vac is a must.

The Ryobi 10" drill press was under 200.00 after tax and should be a much more useful tool than a stand alone tire truer! I went with this model for the laser and light function at a similar price as other units.

1644867237206.png

One thing that comes along with foams is cutting them down. Ideally you do not want to run them at full diameter except for maybe drag racing?

Foam tire truers that are decent quality (not brushed motors) are well over $400.00

I thought I would give it a stab making something with a drill press as I had a need to purchase one anyway for other projects. To adapt for tire truing uses..... this took was an 8mm rod with a hole drilled so you can install an Arrma wheel hex. At that point you can install the 1/8 foam wheel/tire and insert it on the drill press.

I already had the small vice that bolts onto the platform of the drill press. I also already had the lathe turning carbide tool.
From there you just align the carbide cutting edge and use the drill presses' up and down movement to cut down the tire. It is messy business so a shop vac is a must.

The Ryobi 10" drill press was under 200.00 after tax and should be a much more useful tool than a stand alone tire truer! I went with this model for the laser and light function at a similar price as other units.

View attachment 200073
What is the max RPM for that drill? You will want to build a box surround to retain all the dust. Might even want a shop vac hookup somewhere close to try and keep it sucked up as you go.

What is the max RPM for that drill? You will want to build a box surround to retain all the dust. Might even want a shop vac hookup somewhere close to try and keep it sucked up as you go.
It has 2 pulleys with multiple options so the speeds range from 620 rpm to 3100 rpm. The induction motor is very large and rated at 1/4 HP so it should stay cool for jobs like this.
Yes I have a large shop vac and will likely need to make a dust shield of some sort. Luckily being a bench top version I can pretty easily move this thing over to the garage floor away from all my other stuff to do the messy work.

View attachment 200073

Fantastic idea and Very creative DIY tool!
Talk about making a drill press Multi-purpose! Bravo!!

Here's a few dust shrouds that should help cut down on the mess..
Drill press dust vac adapters

Looks like I may have to fork out 60.00 for a tire truing bit. Anyone had feedback on which ones they use?
Amain offers this one from CRC

View attachment 200100
^
Ouch..!

Couldn't you use a couple of razor blades in a "custom holder" to achieve the same effect?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back