Do I choose the red pill or blue pill?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheels007

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
Matrix/Morpheus jokes aside, what color Loctite do you use for a pinion grub screw? I thought I had a decent amount of blue on the grub screw. However after 6 or 7 runs the pinion slid off. Has anyone found red better?

I only use blue. Make sure you clean off any dirt or grease on the threads before applying the blue. You can use red just understand you will need a torch to break the loctite when removing.

Matrix/Morpheus jokes aside, what color Loctite do you use for a pinion grub screw? I thought I had a decent amount of blue on the grub screw. However after 6 or 7 runs the pinion slid off. Has anyone found red better?
I use blue.

Be sure to clean the grub screw and let the locktite dry for 24hr.

I guess I should have added it was a new pinion and didn't drive the truck for a week:confused:. Maybe there was residue from manufacturing or just a fluke? I'll clean it up and try again.

For the motor pinion blue should be fine when applied clean.

On my limitless spool i do use red, not only on the grub but even between the pinion and the axle. It does require some heating up with a torch to get it lose again.

I guess I should have added it was a new pinion and didn't drive the truck for a week:confused:. Maybe there was residue from manufacturing or just a fluke? I'll clean it up and try again.
I only use Loctite 242 and it holds up. You're on the right track regarding manufacturing residue. Give the gear and grub screw a cleaning with acetone or some other strong degreasing agent before you apply the Loctite and, as someone already pointed out, let it set up for 24 hours. Another underrated variable will be the tools you're using. Particularly with smaller hex drivers it pays dividends to not cheap out on your tools so you can torque them down properly without stripping them out. Wera and MIP make high quality bits that will save you a lot of grief. If you already have that taken care of, ignore the second half of this post :)

Are you using blue 243? (Bottle is red, but it's blue type) There's a couple different types of blue. I believe the 243 is a step above the reg blue, but still not permanent like red

20220903_102703.jpg

Only ever use grubs once, then bin them👍🏼 They’re cheap enough, the last thing you want to do is strip one in a pinion..!!
Oh, and I use blue 242 or 243

I used below. I couldn't find a number 2xx on the bottle:
blue stick.jpg

How about this stuff?:
20220903_110934.jpg

I only use Loctite 242 and it holds up. You're on the right track regarding manufacturing residue. Give the gear and grub screw a cleaning with acetone or some other strong degreasing agent before you apply the Loctite and, as someone already pointed out, let it set up for 24 hours. Another underrated variable will be the tools you're using. Particularly with smaller hex drivers it pays dividends to not cheap out on your tools so you can torque them down properly without stripping them out. Wera and MIP make high quality bits that will save you a lot of grief. If you already have that taken care of, ignore the second half of this post :)
I have MIP driver bits and bought the Corally tool set. I had to replace a few cheap drivers and was missing some tools/drivers. No more stripped screws :)

Last edited:
Are you using blue 243? (Bottle is red, but it's blue type) There's a couple different types of blue. I believe the 243 is a step above the reg blue, but still not permanent like red

View attachment 241030
Depending on what type of metal you are trying to secure with 242 you should be using loctite primer. 243 doesn't require a primer. The primer is a cleaning agent and adhesion promoter.

View attachment 241030
243 is more oil resistant so yes it does work better. Still, need to clean everything with alcohol at the bare minimum to remove residual oils etc. from manufacturing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back