Does the hobby still need "ladies tournament" brackets?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mockduck

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fazon
  2. Granite
  3. Voltage
I would rather this thread not devolve into right vs left politics or attacks on other people's opinions, but I have been genuinely considering approaching my local hobby shop to ask why they continue to have a Ladies Tournament bracket for most/all of their RC weekend events. Doesn't it seem odd in 2020? I can see it being a community growing thing if the ladies prefer to have their own bracket and tournament, but I also bet there are some ladies out there who bristle at the idea, and ultimately gender seems totally irrelevant to me when it comes to RC cars.

That said, I'm a generally "cis" white male, so this totally doesn't impact me personally, other than I would feel not right about entering a tournament that had a separate ladies bracket. Figured I'd like to hear from a few of the ladies if possible on their preference, and thoughts from the wider community on how to approach their local hobby shop with the idea without making it seem like a personal attack, and I guess figure out if this is even something I should consider actually doing.

I would rather this thread not devolve into right vs left politics or attacks on other people's opinions, but I have been genuinely considering approaching my local hobby shop to ask why they continue to have a Ladies Tournament bracket for most/all of their RC weekend events. Doesn't it seem odd in 2020? I can see it being a community growing thing if the ladies prefer to have their own bracket and tournament, but I also bet there are some ladies out there who bristle at the idea, and ultimately gender seems totally irrelevant to me when it comes to RC cars.

That said, I'm a generally "cis" white male, so this totally doesn't impact me personally, other than I would feel not right about entering a tournament that had a separate ladies bracket. Figured I'd like to hear from a few of the ladies if possible on their preference, and thoughts from the wider community on how to approach their local hobby shop with the idea without making it seem like a personal attack, and I guess figure out if this is even something I should consider actually doing.

Honestly, I'm shocked that there's even enough ladies showing up to have their own tournament to begin with! But I agree with you, in any competition where physical strength isn't a factor you might as well just combine everyone into big tournament. Like it'd be weird if they had gendered SATs or chess tournaments. The only thing you'd have to be weary about is neckbeards who get butt hurt and decide to rage at women who beat them. That was an issue back when I was playing Magic the Gathering at the local card shop and those guys earned themselves a ban.

@Mockduck youre a feminist mate! Totally agree with this conceptually. @Astronought spot on too. There's no bias as a result of gender in rc, so no reason why it shouldnt be blended IMO.

My wife is a high achieving female (dr) and bristles, rightly imo, at any suggestion she cant equal a male colleague on the basis of her sex. She usually then just out excels them at everything because shes awesome at what she does!

Yes because women aren't affected by the illness known as "infectious manlyness disease" that causes us to be controlled by rage when another bro-dude is winning
Yes because women aren't affected by the illness known as "infectious manlyness disease" that causes us to be controlled by rage when another bro-dude is winning
But honestly, you guys and gals are right.

As a matter of fact, women have faster response time, so they have potential to dominate the hobby (sport?). I wouldn’t exclude women from the “normal” races, but still allow them to maintain their own women’s only races if they prefer it. Basically as men we don’t need to make that call. Let them decide and accept their choice.

Only time I believe we need a separation is of they are physical sports. Other than that I don't think there should be a separation of sexes because the car does all the work and the physical differences between men and women don't affect the outcome.

My daughter and I race ( 2wd and 4wd modified SC ) , LOL ,so speaking for my daughter she doesn't need a ladies class , she does just fine racing against whomever male/female/age .
She has extreme patience , drives smooth , prediction , tight lines , etc . She started when she was 15 , she is now 18 . From day one she showed a natural knack for it . Some vids in my thread .....
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/racing-withdrawals-lol.27579/

Back in my racing days we had an open class. Those races usually involved younger kids (boy/girls) typically sons/daughters of the guys that were racing competitively. If any woman wanted to race with us she would have been more than welcome to race in any class she wanted. I tried to get my wife into it back then but that failed quickly when she went WOT off the track into the crowd lol.. They scattered like roaches! :ROFLMAO:

My daughter and I race ( 2wd and 4wd modified SC ) , LOL ,so speaking for my daughter she doesn't need a ladies class , she does just fine racing against whomever male/female/age .
She has extreme patience , drives smooth , prediction , tight lines , etc . She started when she was 15 , she is now 18 . From day one she showed a natural knack for it . Some vids in my thread .....
This is awesome. My daughter is five, hope i get to do some stuff like this with her when shes older :)

This is a big motivator for me in that what if your daughter went to an event and got put in the "ladies class" where maybe there are just a few other female contestants, rather than be a part of the full event?

This is a big motivator for me in that what if your daughter went to an event and got put in the "ladies class" where maybe there are just a few other female contestants, rather than be a part of the full event?
[/QUOTE]

Never even thought of that as every race we've attended never had a female class , they had a beginners class , and yes there were some females , mostly younger . Then I'd say I'd hope they would give the option to race in either .

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back