ESC Mounting For Kraton Roller

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Fireteam
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Mojave
  7. Senton 3s
  8. Typhon 3s
Hey guys, just wanted to get some feedback. I'm putting together a K6 roller, I have a Axial Vanguard motor & esc that I'm putting inside of it. If you look at the first picture you'll see that the mounting holes are off by a hair. The ESC rubs against the servo mount, thus preventing the holes from lining up correctly. The second picture is an alternative way that I'm thinking of mounting it with double sided tape. Will the motor connections be ok being exposed and mounted in this orientation, or are there any other ideas I should try? Thanks.

20221025_115450.jpg

20221025_115644.jpg

If it fits it fits! I use double sticky tape too. If it is good quality tape it should hold! Looking good :cool:

I saw that Axial (Castle) combo on Ebay and was temped. Let us know how it rips. Came with the 2200kV motor?

If it fits it fits! I use double sticky tape too. If it is good quality tape it should hold! Looking good :cool:

I saw that Axial (Castle) combo on Ebay and was temped. Let us know how it rips. Came with the 2200kV motor?
Yessir that's the ebay combo, came with the 2200kv motor still sealed in the packaging. Once I did my research and saw that they were made by Castle I pulled the trigger! 😁

Either orientation is fine. Trim the servo mount if it rubs the ESC.
The best consideration is actually trying to mount the esc with holes that line up onto the ESC Tray with screws. Drill holes as needed. Then use double sided tape as well as 2 screws to hold the ESC. If only using tape, use a zip tie to add security. These ESC's can eject with impacts using duble sided tape alone. No matter the tape used. Been there. I only use Automotive weather resistant 3M brand double sided tape. I clean well with a solvent or alcohol, and heat the tape a bit with a heat gun. Another stronger way is to use silicone adhesive instead of tape. Again if you don't use 2 screws, I would add a zip tie.
Some ideas....

Edited.

If I have the choice, I like my ESC motor wires facing the motor directly, not along the edge of the chassis.:cool:

Last edited:
How long are the motor cables? I was going to use a TC combo in my kexb, but the motor cables are too short..only by a half inch or so. Too close to be adding extensions for my liking so I didn't use the TC combo.
Either orientation is fine. Trim the servo mount if it rubs the ESC.
The best consideration is actually trying to mount the esc with holes that line up onto the ESC Tray with screws. Drill holes as needed. Then use double sided tape as well as 2 screws to hold the ESC. If only using tape, use a zip tie to add security. These ESC's can eject with impacts using duble sided tape alone. No matter the tape used. Been there. I only use Automotive weather resistant 3M brand double sided tape. I clean well with a solvent or alcohol, and heat the tape a bit with a heat gun. Another stronger way is to use silicone adhesive instead of tape. Again if you don't use 2 screws, I would add a zip tie.
Some ideas....

Edited.

If I have the choice, I like my ESC motor wires facing the motor directly, not along the edge of the chassis.:cool:
I agree, I use double sided tape in a pinch, but only when combined with a cable tie.
I've used a piece of paper to make a template from the esc, then laid it over the esc plate and drilled new holes through the plate. I much prefer using screws for holding the electronics. Safer, and easier to service if needed.
Oops, sorry, didn't see the tabs on the sides of the esc the first time..guess no need for a template. Depends on the wire length as to how I'd orient the esc, whichever makes it easiest to secure the wires I'd say.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great advice everyone. I think I'm going to end up trimming that little piece off so the motor connections can face the motor like the OEM orientation. After that I'll drill new holes to mount it, along with some tape. @KnowAir The motor cables are actually pretty long, I'm not sure how they compare to TC wires, but connecting them cables shouldn't be an issue at all.

Another method is add a small piece of plastic plate to raise the ESC up above the rib/tab ,so you don't need to hack it off..
Some double-side tape should help raise and hold this new plate so you can mount the ESC the way you like.

Another method is add a small piece of plastic plate to raise the ESC up above the rib/tab ,so you don't need to hack it off..
Some double-side tape should help raise and hold this new plate so you can mount the ESC the way you like.
Tex in the house!!! You know he could probably make you something incredible to make that fit like OEM. 👀

Great idea Tex, but luckily the seller included an extra esc mounting plate with the roller he sent me. I figured ehhh if I screw the hack job up too bad on this one, then I'll just make use of the spare:ROFLMAO:

Alright guys so here's the finished product. Dremeled off that little plastic ledge and drilled some new mounting holes. It sits pretty flush now. I'm pretty happy with the results. One odd thing I noticed, that I hadn't caught before was that this ESC has no On/Off switch. It also only has one plug for a fan which is already being used by the fan on the ESC itself. I panned on running a fan on the motor but I'm going to have to get a splitter & converter. The port for the fan on the ESC is even smaller than the regular 2 Pin JST connection 🤦🏽

20221026_085900.jpg

20221026_100145.jpg

20221026_100155.jpg

Alright guys so here's the finished product. Dremeled off that little plastic ledge and drilled some new mounting holes. It sits pretty flush now. I'm pretty happy with the results. One odd thing I noticed, that I hadn't caught before was that this ESC has no On/Off switch. It also only has one plug for a fan which is already being used by the fan on the ESC itself. I panned on running a fan on the motor but I'm going to have to get a splitter & converter. The port for the fan on the ESC is even smaller than the regular 2 Pin JST connection 🤦🏽

View attachment 252281

View attachment 252282

View attachment 252283
Looks great to me👍 What are you using for a receiver? Got a spare channel? You could use it for the motor fan. None of my rigs have esc's w/spare plugs, so all motor fans run off channel 3 of my flysky receivers. Works for me.
I should add that I run minimally spec'd fans though..no 40x28 hi powered units needed for my use. May make a difference if you run high powered fans.

Looks great to me👍 What are you using for a receiver? Got a spare channel? You could use it for the motor fan. None of my rigs have esc's w/spare plugs, so all motor fans run off channel 3 of my flysky receivers. Works for me.
I should add that I run minimally spec'd fans though..no 40x28 hi powered units needed for my use. May make a difference if you run high powered fans.
That's actually a great idea. I'm using a Spektrum SR315, I'll have one free Aux port so I'll use that for the motor fan. Thanks!

That's actually a great idea. I'm using a Spektrum SR315, I'll have one free Aux port so I'll use that for the motor fan. Thanks!
You bet! I'm a bit of a hacker so if the fan wire isn't long enough, or I want to use 2 fans on a motor I just use whatever wire I have on hand to splice in and extend as needed. I find that leads from spent servos work really well, just remove the 3rd wire that I don't need. Works great since it already has the correct connector for the receiver. Add heat shrink to soldered connections and it's mint👌

Alright guys so here's the finished product. Dremeled off that little plastic ledge and drilled some new mounting holes. It sits pretty flush now. I'm pretty happy with the results. One odd thing I noticed, that I hadn't caught before was that this ESC has no On/Off switch.

Odd..
How are you suppose to 'program' it without the On/off Button AND Settings switch?

It also only has one plug for a fan which is already being used by the fan on the ESC itself. I panned on running a fan on the motor but I'm going to have to get a splitter & converter. The port for the fan on the ESC is even smaller than the regular 2 Pin JST connection 🤦🏽

View attachment 252281

View attachment 252282

View attachment 252283

I'd get a pack of these JR Y-splitters ,to split the power from your ESC's fan to your additional motor fan..
Instead of routing it all the way around from your receiver.. (Less possible interference / electric noise from those electronics. IMHO.)

https://www.amazon.com/Spektrum-Futaba-Harness-Splitter-Airplane/dp/B07PHDYZXN/ref=sr_1_12_sspa

Odd..
How are you suppose to 'program' it without the On/off Button AND Settings switch?

I'd get a pack of these JR Y-splitters ,to split the power from your ESC's fan to your additional motor fan..
Instead of routing it all the way around from your receiver.. (Less possible interference / electric noise from those electronics. IMHO.)

https://www.amazon.com/Spektrum-Futaba-Harness-Splitter-Airplane/dp/B07PHDYZXN/ref=sr_1_12_sspa
Good points! Hadn't even thought about the programming..maybe it's not programmable?
I understand the splitters are a good choice for piggybacking fans, I'm just that uh, frugal!!😁🤣🤣

Good points! Hadn't even thought about the programming..maybe it's not programmable?
I understand the splitters are a good choice for piggybacking fans, I'm just that uh, frugal!!😁🤣🤣

It's printed right on the side of the ESC >> "Fully Programmable"

1666801245374.png

Or, is it done via Bluetooth?
I doubt it... but who knows.

It's printed right on the side of the ESC >> "Fully Programmable"

View attachment 252295

Or, is it done via Bluetooth?
I doubt it... but who knows.
Castle link? I downloaded the manual but didn't look yet..
https://www.rcdocuments.com/axial-ae-4-vanguard-xl-esc-manual/
Soo the link I posted is kinda bogus. Not really any help for programming.
I did however find something interesting.. $70 for this esc. Be sure and check shipping costs before getting too excited. I have a MT4G3 TT that I was going to buy parts for, till I saw the shipping costs from TT🤢
https://shop.thundertiger.com/products/ax31091-ae-4-vanguard-xl-esc
Oh, then this..the combo for $95? Shipping on the esc alone is $41.. wtf? And why does Thunder Tiger have axial parts? Are they affiliated? I though axial was HH? @slick2500 ?
https://shop.thundertiger.com/products/axial-vanguard-esc-motor-combo?_pos=1&_sid=171c699c0&_ss=r

Last edited:
So I found this PDF about calibrating Transmitter and receiver through the ESC, but nothing about programming yet. This is turning out to be a lot tricker than I anticipated 😫

Attachments

• AX90032-i002_-_Yeti™_XL_1-8th_Scale_RTR.pdf
    439.3 KB · Views: 83
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back