First Aftermarket Tires, One bigger than the other? (Maybe considering other options)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a more proper venting of my tires today after getting a small tube like a lot people recommend. Happy with the results, except I can kind of where it went through the belting mesh. Obviously it had to. I just wanted to double check that it's ok to vent tires that are belted?

I finally Took them for their first run today and they seem rather wobbly, like the wheels aren't perfectly circular. It gave the truck the shakes somewhat. Is it normal to buy wheels and have that happened? Will it fix itself over time, or can I do anything about it. Is this a balancing issue? Something I don't know anything about, of course. :)

I finally Took them for their first run today and they seem rather wobbly, like the wheels aren't perfectly circular. It gave the truck the shakes somewhat. Is it normal to buy wheels and have that happened? Will it fix itself over time, or can I do anything about it. Is this a balancing issue? Something I don't know anything about, of course. :)
Everything else is stock besides ur tires? Have u ever taken it apart? Can u post a video?

Everything else is stock besides ur tires? Have u ever taken it apart? Can u post a video?
Oh Gosh no it’s not even close to stock. I have essentially made a Mega into a BLX and then some. I’ve had to completely rebuild the truck once due to cracking the chassis.

But having Said all that, the stock tires never wobbled.

Oh Gosh no it’s not even close to stock. I have essentially made a Mega into a BLX and then some. I’ve had to completely rebuild the truck once due to cracking the chassis.

But having Said all that, the stock tires never wobbled.
U may switch them around...check to see how bad outa balance...were seated good on the hex....all 4? Not that its hard but totally starting to baffle me 😆. Put stock back on just to see if they still smooth?

U may switch them around...check to see how bad outa balance...were seated good on the hex....all 4? Not that its hard but totally starting to baffle me 😆. Put stock back on just to see if they still smooth?
I did have them on good and tight. I’m gonna put the old ones back on later when I get a chance and see if there is a difference.

Kinda starting to regret the whole Duratrax thing…and belted. The tires are so darn firm. The stock ones are nice and squishy which for me seem like a good thing. Is the aftermarket tires being more firm due to belting, or are most after market ones like that?
I promise you don't get belted. I have tried them all like I said. If you are going to be mostly offroad then your best bet is getting non belted Badlands or Hyrax and then getting some Kevlar rope and some flexible CA glue. You basically belt the unbelted tires and you get the best of both worlds. And yes put a piece of tape over the hole in the wheel and make a couple holes in the tires on opposite sides. I just burn a hole in mine. Quick and easy. This is a picture of my Hyrax with the kevlar cord. You just wrap it a couple times and then put the CA glue on the ends and a couple other spots and you are good to go

View attachment 164449

View attachment 164450
Would you mind reminding me why you recommend against Trenchers?

I did have them on good and tight. I’m gonna put the old ones back on later when I get a chance and see if there is a difference.

Kinda starting to regret the whole Duratrax thing…and belted. The tires are so darn firm. The stock ones are nice and squishy which for me seem like a good thing. Is the aftermarket tires being more firm due to belting, or are most after market ones like that?

It's all in the thread above, belted tires are generally more firm. Another reason my recommendations are what they are

So your asking 4 two things that you can't have at the same time. Squishy soft tires are going to balloon. Belted firmer tires are going to be a little less forgiving. Go unbelted with the kevlar cord. Close as u gonna get wanting what u asking for.

Unfortunately, I have seen this same result numerous times with Duratrax tires. Didn't you say these are beadlocks? If so you can try to reinstall them and see if you can do a better job. With tires you really want to try not to stretch everything to one side when installing them on the rims. Once you get em in the bead, work them around the rim to get the "stretch" evened out around the rim, if that makes sense.

Unfortunately, I have seen this same result numerous times with Duratrax tires. Didn't you say these are beadlocks? If so you can try to reinstall them and see if you can do a better job. With tires you really want to try not to stretch everything to one side when installing them on the rims. Once you get em in the bead, work them around the rim to get the "stretch" evened out around the rim, if that makes sense.
^^^^^Do this^^^^^

Yeah they are bead lock tires. I honestly don't think I am up for redoing the Bead lock.

I took them for another asphalt run today at a nearby college with a wide open parking lot and have decided I just do not like how these feel/handle.

I don't know if it's the tires being a bit different in size, or them being wobbly, or due to fact that they are a heavier material and belted, but they just have some really funky quirks.

The big one I noticed is when I full gun my Granite on 3S (which goes about 50), it wheelies but the truck is very unstable and can't hold the wheelie on the Duratrax Lockups. For comparison, my stock Granite Dboots can hold a wheelie as long as I want and is pretty straight and stable. Is it not holding a wheelie a sign of bad traction? Or something else?

Although I do not do this regularly, I went in reverse full speed and the truck could not stay stable in reverse and nearly wobbled and flipped over while on the Lockups. Again for comparison, my stock tires go backwards no problem. I do have AVC on my Granite. I don't think that is a factor, but wanted to mention it.

I check with where I bought them, and told them of my issues with the tires and they are still ok with me returning them, so I'm going to take that route and return them. Looks like I am back to square one sadly!

Thank you all so much for your advice in this thread.

Yeah they are bead lock tires. I honestly don't think I am up for redoing the Bead lock.

I took them for another asphalt run today at a nearby college with a wide open parking lot and have decided I just do not like how these feel/handle.

I don't know if it's the tires being a bit different in size, or them being wobbly, or due to fact that they are a heavier material and belted, but they just have some really funky quirks.

The big one I noticed is when I full gun my Granite on 3S (which goes about 50), it wheelies but the truck is very unstable and can't hold the wheelie on the Duratrax Lockups. For comparison, my stock Granite Dboots can hold a wheelie as long as I want and is pretty straight and stable. Is it not holding a wheelie a sign of bad traction? Or something else?

Although I do not do this regularly, I went in reverse full speed and the truck could not stay stable in reverse and nearly wobbled and flipped over while on the Lockups. Again for comparison, my stock tires go backwards no problem. I do have AVC on my Granite. I don't think that is a factor, but wanted to mention it.

I check with where I bought them, and told them of my issues with the tires and they are still ok with me returning them, so I'm going to take that route and return them. Looks like I am back to square one sadly!

Square 1 is better than ⬛-50$

The fact that your tires are all different diameters means the truck will be trying to turn. Your diffs are going to be working more, like even in a straight line, one wheel is trying to travel a longer distance than the other, just like going around a curve. Them being noticeably out of balance is just going to wear things out faster and cause all kinds of issues. Send them back.

Last edited:
Is balancing something more due to Beadlock tires or Glued? Or does any tire you buy potentially have balance issues?

All the Duratrax, Proline tires I have bought belted or non-belted....non have been perfect with no wobble and some have imperfection...yes Duratrax is the worse but performed excellent once balanced. However, I balance all of them! So do not look at the wobble in the tire so much for new tires when bashing will not be an issue....but balance them with clay or tape or whatever so it has a nice balance rotation this will help your bash for balanced tire rotation... They all wobble but balance them.

Oooh ok. I didn’t realize that is what you do. I was more picturing tying a rope and then tying the ends of it together. I wouldn’t think that you glue the ends. That holds the strap and keeps the tire from ballooning? I can’t say for sure I’m going to go this route, but I appreciate the info.

Why are belted tires so much thinner? If anything, I would think the opposite would be the case. Thicker, stronger so they have less ballooning.

Please let me know if I should make a new tbread for this topic but: If I keep my Duratrax MT tires. Do I want to vent them (Can you/should you vent belted tires) or seal up the rim hole and not have any holes? Most of my driving is over dry terrain….but going through puddles is also fun. I’ve also been to the beach a few times…

If you are referring to the new belted Badlands MX HP those are thinner...not all belted tires are thinner but this one is and one I think you looked at once for the belted Badland. I actually use that one on my Losi DB Pro that uses 2.2/3.0 SC tires but this one is narrow enough it works....again I after no ballooning and they are great for THAT RC

Is ballooning still a factor for belted?
I had not thought about jumps and landing. I guess that’s why the tires are at least Rim vented?

If I vent the tire do I definitely plug the hole on the rims?

Ballooning is not a factor for belted. As someone said there is a trade-off belted are firmer so cannot have both for it to be soft...but it's about personal taste.

Venting for ballooning... I know people say it does help but to my eye, I cannot see it helping in the past. Venting is great to do to remove stuff out the tire, yes for that fact. I would not vent a belted tire. Venting as an answer to stop the major ballooning some see, no not a one-fix solution.

All the Duratrax, Proline tires I have bought belted or non-belted....non have been perfect with no wobble and some have imperfection...yes Duratrax is the worse but performed excellent once balanced. However, I balance all of them! So do not look at the wobble in the tire so much for new tires when bashing will not be an issue....but balance them with clay or tape or whatever so it has a nice balance rotation this will help your bash for balanced tire rotation... They all wobble but balance them.

If you are referring to the new belted Badlands MX HP those are thinner...not all belted tires are thinner but this one is and one I think you looked at once for the belted Badland. I actually use that one on my Losi DB Pro that uses 2.2/3.0 SC tires but this one is narrow enough it works....again I after no ballooning and they are great for THAT RC

Ballooning is not a factor for belted. As someone said there is a trade-off belted are firmer so cannot have both for it to be soft...but it's about personal taste.

Venting for ballooning... I know people say it does help but to my eye, I cannot see it helping in the past. Venting is great to do to remove stuff out the tire, yes for that fact. I would not vent a belted tire. Venting as an answer to stop the major ballooning some see, no not a one-fix solution.
Thank you for all that, very helpful information. Since the Duratrax are going back, I am looking at what I am going to get next…but I will keep balancing in mind going foward.

Based on my stock tires which are vented, it doesn’t seem to help one bit for ballooning, that’s for sure. :)

Thank you for all that, very helpful information. Since the Duratrax are going back, I am looking at what I am going to get next…but I will keep balancing in mind going foward.

Based on my stock tires which are vented, it doesn’t seem to help one bit for ballooning, that’s for sure. :)

I found it a challenge to lock on what tires I liked. I have wasted a lot of money buying tires and got a little back by selling mint, or new, or lightly used tires back to wonderful ppl here like the Duratrax, Badlands, etc....

I wish I were closer to people or in a group to see other's experiences in person to make a better tire decision. So I feel your stress Man money is money don't want to waste too much of it...see the price of gas...not like we can use the tires and return as used, dirty tires.

Glad to help best of luck here!

I found it a challenge to lock on what tires I liked. I have wasted a lot of money buying tires and got a little back by selling mint, or new, or lightly used tires back to wonderful ppl here like the Duratrax, Badlands, etc....

I wish I were closer to people or in a group to see other's experiences in person to make a better tire decision. So I feel your stress Man money is money don't want to waste too much of it...see the price of gas...not like we can use the tires and return as used, dirty tires.

Glad to help best of luck here!
Yeah I hear ya. I live in the Bay Area (California) but the nearest Hobby shop Is 35 miles away. I haven’t really had a chance to meet anyone or drive with anyone. I think there is some RC group nearby but I haven’t connected with them yet. Would be nice to see/feel/try some tires in person.

Yeah I hear ya. I live in the Bay Area (California) but the nearest Hobby shop Is 35 miles away. I haven’t really had a chance to meet anyone or drive with anyone. I think there is some RC group nearby but I haven’t connected with them yet. Would be nice to see/feel/try some tires in person.
Installing tires with bead locks isn't that bad. I actually prefer them to glue. But it does take a bit of patience and finesse. The slower you go, the better results you will have. The hard part is just keeping the tire centered, then tightening the bead lock screws in a star pattern, only tightening each screw about a half turn per pass around the pattern. When I get them closer to being tight I even start doing smaller turns, wigging the bead by slightly pulling the tire to keep the rubber evenly stretched around the rim. Before you send those tires back, give it a go. What could it hurt?

Last edited:
Figured I would reply to this old thread rather than make a new for for just one question. I ended up keeping Belted Lockups that I will be using for general street running with minimal to no off-roading with them.

With that in mind, should I:
Vent them and seal the rim holes?
Seal the rim holes and not vent them, or
Keep them as is?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back