Hey crawler crew. Any suggestions on my first one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha! I wanted to ask about this on the forum but thought what are the chances someone tried it... (a guy near me is selling his sport body and I need a body for my kraton)
:D

It would take some cutting, and I don't think the holes would line up (I personally don't mind if I had an extra set on a basher). With some taller body posts it would cover the rear shock tower though. I'll try to set it on there & grab a couple pics tonight or tomorrow.

@nino Here's with the K6s body on for reference

20200419_172141.jpg

Here's the Trx-4 Sport body on. One thing to keep in mind is I cut about 3/4" off my rocker panels between the wheels when I raised my rock sliders. Like I said above, it's not perfect, and the wheelbase is a bit short. However, I think it would work, and may become my Kraton body if I redo one for the Sport.

20200419_172319.jpg

The width seems about right.
20200419_172955.jpg

Those bodies are pretty thin. Don’t know the longevity of it
One top side slide and you’d have a sun roof??

It may be a hair thinner than the Kraton body, but not much if it is at all, and I'm sure no thinner than any replacement from Proline or the like. The Element Enduro body is paper thin. I couldn't believe it when I felt it at the Lhs.

I still may end up with an unbreakable from Russia at some point for the K6s. Too many projects!

I’d avoid the axial bomber I was bashing with a guy that had one yesterday. It broke within minutes. I put 2 sets of batteries through my xmaxx. No breakages.
My bomber has actually been my best performer but it also has 4 wheel steering and it's my one with the least breakages. I never worry about that one when I drive it. I also got the kit version back before they discontinued it and I know the kit has a lot of beefed up parts over the RTR.
My SCX10 II is my oldest rig and has the most stuff replaced on it but am very happy with it. Enduro I really like and have only had a couple of things break on it, same for my newest rig that's built, the TRX4 sport.
My Redcat Gen 8 PACK has had quite a few problems, most of which have been addressed with Redcat upgrades or the new Axe version but haven't gotten it to my liking yet. But before it breaks I like how it handles after tuning a bunch of stuff.
Now I just have to find time to build my Axial Capra.....then I may be ready to get the SCX10 III....

My bomber has actually been my best performer but it also has 4 wheel steering and it's my one with the least breakages. I never worry about that one when I drive it. I also got the kit version back before they discontinued it and I know the kit has a lot of beefed up parts over the RTR.
My SCX10 II is my oldest rig and has the most stuff replaced on it but am very happy with it. Enduro I really like and have only had a couple of things break on it, same for my newest rig that's built, the TRX4 sport.
My Redcat Gen 8 PACK has had quite a few problems, most of which have been addressed with Redcat upgrades or the new Axe version but haven't gotten it to my liking yet. But before it breaks I like how it handles after tuning a bunch of stuff.
Now I just have to find time to build my Axial Capra.....then I may be ready to get the SCX10 III....
The Gen8 axe looks very nice. It’s a lot of cash but the electrics are 200$ alone. For 200$ more would you pick the axe over the original. Looks like a great deal has changed than just the electrics. Better gears, servo, shock mounting, no more transfer case bump, it’s a convertible...

The Gen8 axe looks very nice. It’s a lot of cash but the electrics are 200$ alone. For 200$ more would you pick the axe over the original. Looks like a great deal has changed than just the electrics. Better gears, servo, shock mounting, no more transfer case bump, it’s a convertible...
I honestly think I would get the AXE over the standard. Take that with a grain of salt though as I also have a friend that is a Redcat dealer so I could get the AXE for quite a bit less than store prices. I got the pack version when the Gen 8 was first released and not the RTR version and I'm not sure if there are any upgrades to the pack version.

The flat bottom skid is really nice and the upgraded axle housings are way better and have swapped mine out. The stock axle housings had the screws pull out that attach the links to the housing. Keep in mind that I am crawling, basher style, so I am harder on my crawlers than your typical "crawler" guy. The shock mounting is also pretty bad on the stock housings as the shocks have the screws mounting from the inside, so using anything other than an "L" shaped driver is tough to remove the shocks. I have also broken the portal gears and upgraded them to the chromoly axles from Redcat, which have done great.

My friend has the AXE 550 system in his Axial Wraith and I can say that the Hobbywing system is not as smooth as the Castle Mamba X esc with Holmes/Castle/Tekin motors and they are not nearly as adjustable but it is still a good system. Brushless in general also isn't as smooth as a brushed system, but like I said, I am more of a basher-crawler and don't do comps or take it too seriously and am just out to have fun. I just don't like with they Hobbywing that you are locked into using Hobbywing's motors and escs with them as they have their own proprietary sensor connector which makes them waterproof. I don't get my rigs wet anymore after having to deal with rust and bad bearings a few years ago on my Senton, so waterproofing isn't a concern for me.

Sorry for the long post. I'm just trying to give you my complete opinion and I'm trying to not leave anything out.

I honestly think I would get the AXE over the standard. Take that with a grain of salt though as I also have a friend that is a Redcat dealer so I could get the AXE for quite a bit less than store prices. I got the pack version when the Gen 8 was first released and not the RTR version and I'm not sure if there are any upgrades to the pack version.

The flat bottom skid is really nice and the upgraded axle housings are way better and have swapped mine out. The stock axle housings had the screws pull out that attach the links to the housing. Keep in mind that I am crawling, basher style, so I am harder on my crawlers than your typical "crawler" guy. The shock mounting is also pretty bad on the stock housings as the shocks have the screws mounting from the inside, so using anything other than an "L" shaped driver is tough to remove the shocks. I have also broken the portal gears and upgraded them to the chromoly axles from Redcat, which have done great.

My friend has the AXE 550 system in his Axial Wraith and I can say that the Hobbywing system is not as smooth as the Castle Mamba X esc with Holmes/Castle/Tekin motors and they are not nearly as adjustable but it is still a good system. Brushless in general also isn't as smooth as a brushed system, but like I said, I am more of a basher-crawler and don't do comps or take it too seriously and am just out to have fun. I just don't like with they Hobbywing that you are locked into using Hobbywing's motors and escs with them as they have their own proprietary sensor connector which makes them waterproof. I don't get my rigs wet anymore after having to deal with rust and bad bearings a few years ago on my Senton, so waterproofing isn't a concern for me.

Sorry for the long post. I'm just trying to give you my complete opinion and I'm trying to not leave anything out.
Thanks for the reply, it is very helpful. I have a Redcat dealer not too far from me that likes cash. I have to see what his Covid19 special cash price is. he also usually has the trx4's in stock as well. Cant really browse the store these days but I think he will do a curb side deal. Most of his business is online anyway.

Looking into getting a crawler as well. Something different and still can't get an infraction online ?.

Thought on the Losi Nightcrawler SE?
Great price, articulation and lights

Redcat Gen 8 International Scout II?

Here's a review i found on the Losi Nightcrawler. Informative and funny...i think you can hear homeboys laundry in the background. ?

Thought on the night Crawler? Worth $300?

Yep, I'm thinking of getting one. don't want anything overly elaborate, just something to pass time when bashing is out of the question. Too many options and no idea where to begin. 1/10th would be the smallest I'd consider. RTR preferably cause I don't have a sensored motor/esc combo on hand. I'd like to stay under $400CAD, which is just under $300 US. Thanks in advance.
Did you pull the trigger on a Crawler? I'm about to on the Losi Nightcrawler SE. It looks like a decent beginner crawler and if i enjoy it i can move up.

I have an OG scx10, Vateraa ascender, 2.2 wraith and a trx4. Hands down the modified wraith is the best crawler out of the lot. It will crawl over the trx. That being said. If what your looking for is a closed wheel truck style crawler than there is nothing on the market that will touch the traxxas in my opinion. To be honest i rarely use the wraith anymore because the thing handles the obstacles so well its not even fun, it feels like cheating. The trx is perfect. I don't really see the point in buying the sport unless cash is the issue though. what made the trx4 so special when it launched was the locking diffs, 2 speed transmission, portals, insanely detailed body. The sport eliminated all of those things except portals.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back