Hey crawler crew. Any suggestions on my first one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notorious J

It's gonna break, so might as well send it!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Gorgon
  2. Granite
  3. Notorious
  4. Typhon 6s
Yep, I'm thinking of getting one. don't want anything overly elaborate, just something to pass time when bashing is out of the question. Too many options and no idea where to begin. 1/10th would be the smallest I'd consider. RTR preferably cause I don't have a sensored motor/esc combo on hand. I'd like to stay under $400CAD, which is just under $300 US. Thanks in advance.

I've also been looking into to a crawler, whether it be a kit or RTR. It's looking like from my research that Element Enduro Sendero, may be a very good RTR, specially for us noobs! ?

In case you want to check out the specs a lil more in depth!

https://www.associatedelectrics.com/element/cars_and_trucks/Enduro/Sendero_Trail_Truck/

Axial a good crawler brand as well. I'm hoping more Crawler Owners chime in as well though, always more to learn!

as long as its hobby grade its fine...?

check out the rgt's, redcat's,scx 10's... if your looking for a bouncer look at gmade and losi.. but stay away from the rock rey.. ?

vaterra is good as well

I've also been looking into to a crawler, whether it be a kit or RTR. It's looking like from my research that Element Enduro Sendero, may be a very good RTR, specially for us noobs! ?

In case you want to check out the specs a lil more in depth!

https://www.associatedelectrics.com/element/cars_and_trucks/Enduro/Sendero_Trail_Truck/

Axial a good crawler brand as well. I'm hoping more Crawler Owners chime in as well though, always more to learn!
STP Ridgeline, a real amazing crawler guy in California, also recommended the Element Enduro Sendero in his list of three. Will definitely do more research.
as long as its hobby grade its fine...?

check out the rgt's, redcat's,scx 10's... if your looking for a bouncer look at gmade and losi.. but stay away from the rock rey.. ?

vaterra is good as well
Redcat's were also recommended. Gmade is a new one to me, but I'm gonna keep the search broad for now. Thanks for the info

I don’t own one but have been thinking the same thing. Two I’ve been looking at online are the Redcat Racing gen8 and the RGT. They are in that price range. Kevin Talbot has a lot of running videos of the rgt’s. Puts them up against his collection and they don’t do too bad.

I don’t own one but have been thinking the same thing. Two I’ve been looking at online are the Redcat Racing gen8 and the RGT. They are in that price range. Kevin Talbot has a lot of running videos of the rgt’s. Puts them up against his collection and they don’t do too bad.
There's a lot of variety in the Gen 8. Their newest one, the Axe, has a brushless motor, but it comes at a steep price. Seems most are happy with a brushed set up, so the Redcat brushed is definitely a contender

i own a redcat gen 7.. old now.. but very capable for what it is.. ? there are so many suspension configurations so body changes are a breeze... i was running a traxxas summit body on it for a while, wicked long wheel base..

but it was cool in stock form as well..?
There's a lot of variety in the Gen 8. Their newest one, the Axe, has a brushless motor, but it comes at a steep price. Seems most are happy with a brushed set up, so the Redcat brushed is definitely a contender

brushless is good for mud rigs for the wheel speed.. otherwise imho brushless is quite useless in a sub 12mph geared rig?

Attachments

• 20190515_232036.jpg
    20190515_232036.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG952018072195181443.jpg
    IMG952018072195181443.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 57
This is the one I’m considering when and if things start heading back to normal, tho I’m leaning towards the Pro model with metal gears and axles. The Pro version doesn’t have electronics tho. Would be a tad over your budget.

9B5CD9E3-0D83-48C2-8375-C49AB68C4086.png

Traxxas trx sport. Most capable outta the box you can buy. The thing is an animal. Your thinking no way is this thing gonna climb that...sh!t that was easy??. If you can get over the traxxas thing buy it. You will not be disappointed. Next thing you know you’ll have 1000$ in upgrades ???(it needs nothing outta box)
57A77622-3F91-4B86-A40C-BE31638E0BA8.jpeg
before
48568AFF-18D9-46EE-95F2-7D17A41551A3.jpeg
af
After?
But no sh!t the thing is amazing. And I’ve drove a lot of different brands

This is the one I’m considering when and if things start heading back to normal, tho I’m leaning towards the Pro model with metal gears and axles. The Pro version doesn’t have electronics tho. Would be a tad over your budget.

View attachment 75150
Is it a Banggood brand truck? What about replacement parts?
Traxxas trx sport. Most capable outta the box you can buy. The thing is an animal. Your thinking no way is this thing gonna climb that...sh!t that was easy??. If you can get over the traxxas thing buy it. You will not be disappointed. Next thing you know you’ll have 1000$ in upgrades ???(it needs nothing outta box)View attachment 75153before View attachment 75154af
After?
The TRX4 also comes highly recommended, but its base price is quite a bit higher. Not sure if the pay me now or pay me later theory applies with this one.

The TRX4 also comes highly recommended, but its base price is quite a bit higher. Not sure if the pay me now or pay me later theory applies with this one.
340$. The sport edition is what you want?

Idk if it’s a Banggood brand, but that’s where I’ve seen them. They have pages of parts and upgrades. The Pro version is damn impressive looking. Wish I had some Trump money to spend. Us 1099 folks starving out here ?

Traxxas trx sport. Most capable outta the box you can buy. The thing is an animal. Your thinking no way is this thing gonna climb that...sh!t that was easy??. If you can get over the traxxas thing buy it. You will not be disappointed. Next thing you know you’ll have 1000$ in upgrades ???(it needs nothing outta box)View attachment 75153before View attachment 75154af
After?
I’ve heard those are good little rigs.

TRX killed it with their first crawler. Really, the Sport is currently the best out there for the price. Plus, of course, parts and upgrade support. If I were buying now, it'd be a TRX4 sport kit + about a hundred murican bucks in brushed electronics, cheap 20kg servo and radio.

Electronics wise, a Holmes Hobbies 20$ 550 sealed can motor and a 40$ Hobbywing 1080 ESC is all you need to get around, be smooth and slow enough for rocks but have some wheelspeed. Great little brushed ESC! Of course, you can throw a couple hundred at a brushless setup.

The Enduro Sendero or whatsitcalled looks nice too but I'd be wary of buying anything that's not sold in zillions. Parts may become a problem if they discontinue it and upgrades won't be as cheap and plentiful as for a TRX or Axial rig.

A good channel for some basics and more than basics on crawler tech (esp electronics as they manufacture them): https://www.youtube.com/user/HolmesHobbies

@Lcarter, the Wraith is... I don't know. It's pretty meh when stock, but with some upgrades it becomes so capable it's not even fun. And it *needs* upgrades. Older Axial rigs (and the Wraith is old) were pretty crappy in component quality and design. Some guys love them though. I sold mine last year.

I have a trx4 chassis kit, with a Castle Mamba X and a Castle 1406 Slate 2850 kv sensored brushless. Runs for a long time on 5000 mah 3s.

I have less into this by far than I do my Kraton or my notorious. They are a fun way to pass the time.

Last edited:
I have been looking at this one also but I don’t know how easily it would be to readily get parts for. So what’s y’all take on these? I have never had a BND but I have replaced with new TX, RX and ESC in a car before. So I am sure I could do this with minor select words at myself only a few times!
8C1A7C25-30D9-4C06-95DC-43082F6FE152.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back