Notorious how to remove stuck sun gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can use two flat head screwdrivers and pry up evenly 180 degrees from each other..

You can use needle nose pliers as well, but a little caution is needed.. they can slip off and rake the teeth of the gear.. a light slow pull will usually be the best method if using pliers..

typically these are just stuck from the fluid, creates a suction when trying to pull them..

I’ve had great luck just flipping the diff over on a paper towel. After two shots of Tito’s and a cigarette just come back, lift it up, and you’ll see your sun gear sitting pretty on that paper towel.
This method doesn’t seem to work without the Tito’s, though…

I’ve had great luck just flipping the diff over on a paper towel. After two shots of Tito’s and a cigarette just come back, lift it up, and you’ll see your sun gear sitting pretty on that paper towel.
This method doesn’t seem to work without the Tito’s, though…
I like the cut of your jib.

You can use two flat head screwdrivers and pry up evenly 180 degrees from each other..

You can use needle nose pliers as well, but a little caution is needed.. they can slip off and rake the teeth of the gear.. a light slow pull will usually be the best method if using pliers..

typically these are just stuck from the fluid, creates a suction when trying to pull them..
got them out thanks now I got another question. How do you get the main output out when it’s stuck on the crown side

Same.🤣 When I was younger I would have cared. Now? Not so much. Enjoy that hacked up jib. I know I do.
I wouldn’t trade my jib for anything. It’s got street cred, man!
got them out thanks now I got another question. How do you get the main output out when it’s stuck on the crown side
Pull the pin sideways out of the outdrive shaft on the inside of the diff with a pair of needle nose pliers.

I wouldn’t trade my jib for anything. It’s got street cred, man!

Pull the pin sideways out of the outdrive shaft on the inside of the diff with a pair of needle nose pliers.
i got the pin out before but i’m talking about it coming out even with the pin out it’s not wanting to come out

i got the pin out before but i’m talking about it coming out even with the pin out it’s not wanting to come out
I’ve never experienced that. Maybe your diff is a little melted/deformed or the O-ring is fused to it? Push it out, man. Or pull it from the outside. If the sun gear pin is out it should be able to be removed.

I have had that happen, I get a hammer and something slightly smaller than the input shaft and knock it out. Then I'll sand down the input shaft so it slides in nicely
1676431150058.gif

Still trying to figure out what a jib is. I just Googled it and says something about a triangular boat dohicky. Here I am lost again! :unsure:
That is a sail jib, idk wut these guys are talking about.

The pin could be deformed if it is not sliding easily from the hole inserted.

Have you removed the grub from the diff cup? It is the “official” way of removing a pin from the diff cup; some cases it is the only way of removing the pin.

8016163D-192E-4F43-BC9F-06888521B4C6.jpeg

Agreed with what a few said above.. extremely common on arrma output cups.. the pin is slightly loose in the bore..

The edge's of the pin bore deform from the pressure and slamming applied from the pin..

I would refrain from pounding them out unless the crown is junk.. if it is junk then drive them out as stated... But, if reusing the cup or crown try not to smash them through, it will gouge the bore...

Sanding them, (much easier on the gear side) is an option.. sand each pin bore opening.. the cup side I will usually use a carbide bit on a Dremel to reach down and clean the burrs..

They should by design pull right out and go right back in, but that's more uncommon as far as I've seen unless the cups are new...👍

Last edited:
Apparently none of the suggestions in your other thread on this worked for you.
Get a torch and burn the diff case (or dremel it to pieces). At that will be left will be that stuck drive cup, that stuck pin, that stuck sun gear and the grub screw, but the last one you already took out.
All you need is a new diff case and o-ring, but those are cheap.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back