Vorteks Hybrid Vorteks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love this car. The 16t pinion works well with the 3670, 2650kv motor. Lost a bit off the top but I don’t run it at the top much. I prefer to rip around and jump like a fool.

I’ve been running stock granite tires lately and have torn 2 rear tires since I updated the motor and esc. A week or so back I got a set of belted powerhobby raptors for the granite. I thought they would be good for the skate park but I just don’t like them on the granite with its narrow stock width. So I ordered a set of Badlands for the Granite which I’ve always loved on that car.

Last night I realized that the belted Raptors might be perfect for the wide set vorteks. They feel heavy duty and I doubt I’ll be able to tear one though I’ll definitely try. They look good on it as well. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to test them later today.

7796E1B2-0140-457A-AEF7-CA91470BF197.jpeg

73CDE5E6-3015-483B-9C15-F7396ABEDE8C.jpeg

762C8ECB-13F6-4894-8077-6943276EB6CB.jpeg

95B611D9-87F1-46A2-8546-CE8597209355.jpeg

C99772BC-F971-4613-8834-F08884094AC6.jpeg

448159F1-C39C-4627-973B-3FB602C56F2B.jpeg

I have the Surpass 3670/2850 motor and a Spektrum 130A ESC in my Typhon 3s. With the heavy MX2.8 Trencher HP belted tires I had on it I ran a 15T pinion to keep motor temps down. I recently went back to lighter weight buggy tires, and I went with a Robinson Racing 19T pinion. It seems perfect now.

I have the Surpass 3670/2850 motor and a Spektrum 130A ESC in my Typhon 3s. With the heavy MX2.8 Trencher HP belted tires I had on it I ran a 15T pinion to keep motor temps down. I recently went back to lighter weight buggy tires, and I went with a Robinson Racing 19T pinion. It seems perfect now.

Nice! Pictures? What buggy tires are you running…stock?

I love that 130amp esc. All three I have perform fantastic and only LVC around 3.4-5, which is nice. Not as sensitive to individual cell dips either like the spectrum 100s can be.

The Rocket 3674 in mine is 2500kv. I’ve been running a 18t and it’s a bit slow. Fantastic torque though. I got Robinson 19t and Arrma 20t on the way to try but will hold off until I run the new tires a few times. With the 18t and stock granite tires it barely gets warm, even on the 80 degree days we had a week back. But the raptors are heavier for sure.

Nice! Pictures? What buggy tires are you running…stock?

I love that 130amp esc. All three I have perform fantastic and only LVC around 3.4-5, which is nice. Not as sensitive to individual cell dips either like the spectrum 100s can be.

The Rocket 3674 in mine is 2500kv. I’ve been running a 18t and it’s a bit slow. Fantastic torque though. I got Robinson 19t and Arrma 20t on the way to try but will hold off until I run the new tires a few times. With the 18t and stock granite tires it barely gets warm, even on the 80 degree days we had a week back. But the raptors are heavier for sure.
I'm running the Duratrax Lockups for now. I've only been able to run once with the Lockups for a short period of time - the temps have been in the low twenties to mid-thirties here in southern Maryland, and those temps are not ideal to run an RC vehicle. Pic with the Lockups appears below, as does the pic with the Trencher HP belted tires installed. The Trenchers looked great but were too heavy.

Typhon 3s with Duratrax Lockups.jpg

Tpyhon 3s Truggy.jpg

It’s the new thicker Arrma mount. Seems pretty solid.
Man… I was working on my typhon at same time when you asked this. The vorteks has a hot racing motor mount. It’s my typhon that has the new thicker stock mount. Sorry bud.
I'm running the Duratrax Lockups for now. I've only been able to run once with the Lockups for a short period of time - the temps have been in the low twenties to mid-thirties here in southern Maryland, and those temps are not ideal to run an RC vehicle. Pic with the Lockups appears below, as does the pic with the Trencher HP belted tires installed. The Trenchers looked great but were too heavy.

View attachment 198522

View attachment 198523
Yeah that’s kinda how my typhon looks with badlands. Love it! I also put on hot racing +10mm hubs so it’s even wider now.
My vorteks has a 3670, 2650kv motor, 18t pinion and 130amp esc. That’s the one I just put the raptors on. Keeping badlands on my widened typhon. Yup I got mixed up there a bit 🙃

Last edited:
Could only get out for a short run but wow!! The Vorteks seriously performs with these Powerhobby belted Raptor wheels. Perfect combo!! The power transfer to the ground is excellent. The lack of ballooning really works for how I drive it. Can’t wait to get it out for a full pack or two.

0FE9CA4F-A9BC-4133-9CB7-57261A11F3D8.jpeg

A0D7CFA1-CCD6-45CA-9A35-3D3BBCEFFAA6.jpeg

I hate his sound 😑

This is the second differential I’ve striped out in a week with the new more powerful motors I’ve been putting in my 3s cars. Last time the granite and now the vorteks went. When I built up my typhon I went ahead and removed the shim. Made the mesh really tight within the hot racing yoke. So far it’s holding and I’ve been driving the hell out of it. So I think I’ll try the same here. Hot racing yoke. Stock diff with 20k oil. No shim.

I have the metal parts to do a CNC diff but I was going to do that for the granite rear since it has cvds. May end up having to do that on all my cars though…

Last edited:
Yeah like I thought. As I’m using the hot racing yoke I’ll remove the shim altogether again. I think.

5992D0A6-4241-4417-8EE6-9B8F0A63CC07.jpeg

All is running well including the rear diff. Love these belted Powerhobby raptor tires! They are fantastic for how I like to drive this car. More power drift style through rocks dirt leaves etc, jumping off and natural bump I can find. It’s my park basher for sure.

Planning the new body now and need to do some routine maintenance (slipper, drive shafts, shocks, tear down cleaning etc).
Ill put rpm typhon front arms and move the shock placement to the outer hole. This will even out the front with the back (6s mojave fronts on both ends). I’ll keep the stock typhon arms on the back till they finally break. This car is so much fun to rip around the park! Freaking durable also.

338C8C44-B0A8-498E-8D7F-D1A0CFE22D92.jpeg

I loved the power hobby tires but one of the 14mm hex stripped out so I returned them. One of the few things I like about Amazon, can return stuff when it breaks. Probably should’ve gotten 17mm hex.

Got a new set of badlands for the little beastie. I don’t know why I keep trying other tires when badlands are my absolute favorite and never fail me. Except for the skate park. Stock Granite tires seem to be best for that so far.

EA41DD8C-98D3-493F-9712-565964B3D598.jpeg

AB36E96B-8EF6-46E4-834D-A00E82DB1EE8.jpeg

5725D4C7-515B-4BDB-A304-2F6BD3B6A5F6.jpeg

I put a new motor in Thing a couple weeks back, hobbystar 3665, 3050kv with a 16t pinion. The car absolutely rips with it! However, I forgot the o-ring around the motor can so the motor mount bent slightly the other day (climbing trees again) and chewed up the spur before I realized it.

Since I just happen to have gotten in a new m2c motor mount and brace, I decided to throw it in along with a new stock spur. I also replaced a few bearings and sanded the slipper pads. I test drove it a bit ago and all sounds perfect. Can’t wait to hit the park after I pick the kid up from school 😃

EFCCB2FC-2ABD-4E52-AC52-2F839F57BD17.jpeg

F01F994F-778A-4DE8-98A8-1239380EE8F2.jpeg

CFF7F3EF-8E99-480F-B90D-6A07E04687E6.jpeg

5A496EB3-F10E-4FA1-8E76-1DE1D1FE2583.jpeg

As it matter of fact that rips so good that it ripped part of the spur off 😂

I don’t think I’ll use the paste style locktite for motor mounts again. It loosened up and chewed up. No worries, all fixed and ready for tomorrow.

Check out what's left of my power module..had to make room for bigger gears...😆😅🤣😂..
Need me m2c one

20220416_183748.jpg

20220416_183724.jpg

Can you believe I fit all this under a typhon body??same chassis as your vortek...got the vortek body if I ever decide to run more packs..ran It on 5s for 1st time today an it was insane,used a 3000mah pack that only weighs 430 grams compared to regular 4s pack I use is 620grams..so I took alot of weight outa car an added more volts,power an it showed.then spur let go..will need metal spurs from now on.

Attachments

• 20220416_184240.jpg
    20220416_184240.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Check out what's left of my power module..had to make room for bigger gears...😆😅🤣😂..
Need me m2c one

View attachment 212346

View attachment 212347
Can you believe I fit all this under a typhon body??same chassis as your vortek...got the vortek body if I ever decide to run more packs..ran It on 5s for 1st time today an it was insane,used a 3000mah pack that only weighs 430 grams compared to regular 4s pack I use is 620grams..so I took alot of weight outa car an added more volts,power an it showed.then spur let go..will need metal spurs from now on.
I love this car man! Keep it up, it’s like shoving a v8 in a Datsun 😂

The other day I cased a jump so hard that the car shut off. Once I opened her up I realized that the ESC was blinking red fast. The day was over anyway so I took it home and started working on it. I reset the ESC but only got the blinking red light. Suddenly I thought what if I killed esc on impact? It’s a relatively new 130 amp spectrum and that thought bummed me a bit. But then I thought what if I just killed the receiver on impact?

It’s a vorteks and came with the DX3 and I don’t have any extra receivers that go with that, so for lack of anything better to do, I tried a receiver from one of my 3S cars. It bound with no issue to the dx3 remote and the car came back to life. Go figure 😂 an easy fix for once!

In another post recently I saw that a guy’s DX3 remote was lost and he was told that the SLT 3 remote will not bind with the 6200 receiver. So I was a little surprised that a stock 3s receiver bound to the DX3 remote with no issue and I’m wondering why it wouldn’t work the other way around? Or am I just confused as usual…

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back