I think I really need help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can only imagine how hard a time you're going through. So sorry for your loss brother.
As far as the rc's go, if the only problem you've created is space, I think you're doing just fine. Do you have an actual spare room? I'd set up shelving like a supermarket..rows of shelving throughout. Or, get a bigger place if feasible? Too many toys isn't the worst problem a fella could have😉

Some people can sell stuff no problem, me I already have attachment issues to stuff. I sold my 2000 Subaru IImpreza that I had owned for over 15 years a few months ago. It was non-running for a long time. It was a piece of junk. But I had had so many memories over the years that i bawled like a baby that same night I sold it.

Selling stuff really can be hard, especially when that item has filled a place in your life. Sorry for your loss mate. I know RCs can't fill a void. But keep looking for the positives in RC -- and any other hobby. Have a purpose for the hobby: you want to be able to do X, Y, or Z. So if they don't meet that purpose, then you sell them to help fund something that will meet that purpose. The same way i am with my subaru, I am with some of the RC's i've sold. But it's helped knowing that i"ve sold some only to get some even better ones.

And thanks for sticking around the forum, I appreciate your insights and comments!

I was gonna say this before but I’m just gonna say it now.

You spending time and money in a harmless hobby is much better than drugs and alcohol. Me being in grade 11 currently I have seen many peoples lives change because they chose to hang out with one wrong person. A good friend of mine loves cars and he changed the people he hung out with. He got hooked on weed and alcohol and he runs from the cops all the time. Drives illegally and all.

Do whatever that makes you happy man. Just stay safe and don’t go down the wrong path.

I had 5 rigs when my wife passed away in June. I buried myself in this hobby to the point that it became an obsession. I guess everybody grieves differently. Before she passed, we had a deal that every time I bought one, I had to sell one. A couple months ago, I took inventory, and I had 25 rigs. I decided to reinstate the one for one policy and try to get it back under control. Last night, I realized that I am literally surrounded by RCs. I did a count, and when my 6s Big Rock comes in, I will have 40 rigs. I live in an apartment. Every room except the bathroom has rigs in it. To make matters worse, most of them are very much modified. For instance, I have an embarrassing amount of money invested into a Mad Van. I don’t even want to talk about the Xmaxx. Yes, it has kept me fairly level during this really difficult time, but I’ve spent enough at Amain alone to buy a very nice new car.

I didn’t generate any debt, I don’t use credit cards, unless I have the money to pay it off the next paycheck, but I think this hobby has become a bit of a problem. I really need to get this under control. I’ve tried to sell some rigs, but it’s like choosing between your kids. I like all of them. The problem is, when I complete a project rig, I’m immediately looking for the next build. I’m running out of room in the apartment.

Sorry for the long post, just annoyed with myself, and really just venting. The worst part of this is, the next time there’s a new rig released that I like, I already know I’m going to buy it. How can something that makes me so happy, stress me out so bad?
I have also fought the urge. I have every rig I ever bought in 35 years. I cant find it in me to sell any of them. They are in my bedoroom and living room. I display them. I used to box up my very old ones. Out of site. It helps.
Sometimes you have to put them down and keep them out of site. But if you have one in every room, they are pretty much in your view all the time.
Obviously you can afford this hobby. And still pay the bills and eat. That's a plus. So you still have a grip on things. Some of us go broke.
I get the grieving process and all. If RC's is what it takes, so be it. We all grieve differently. Just be careful that it doesn't become "At risk Behavior". Maybe try socializing more??? IDK.
Have you considered counseling for your loss?
Best of luck.
You will get through this.:cool: Wrenching RC's is a form of therapy, like with any hobby.
I was gonna say this before but I’m just gonna say it now.

You spending time and money in a harmless hobby is much better than drugs and alcohol. Me being in grade 11 currently I have seen many peoples lives change because they chose to hang out with one wrong person. A good friend of mine loves cars and he changed the people he hung out with. He got hooked on weed and alcohol and he runs from the cops all the time. Drives illegally and all.

Do whatever that makes you happy man. Just stay safe and don’t go down the wrong path.
+1
Got Into RC in my 20's, a concious effort to get off the streets. I saw too many of my supposed friends wasting money on all the vices etc. Getting arrested and all.
I started racing at the track with guys twice my age, made new older friends, some were good role models for me. And the money I spent with RC was well worth it, over wasting it at the Clubs, booze, drugs and Gold Digger girls etc.

Last edited:
I have also fought the urge. I have every rig I ever bought in 35 years. I cant find it in me to sell any of them. They are in my bedoroom and living room. I dospaly them. I used to box up my very old ones. Out of site. It helps.
Sometimes you have to put them down and keep them out of site. But if you have one in every room, they are prettymuch in your view all the time.
Obviously you can afford this hobby. And still pay the bills and eat. That'sa plus. Some of us go broke.
I get the grieving process and all. If RC's is what it takes, so be it. We all grieve differently. Just be careful that it doesn't become "At risk Behavior". Maybe try socializing more??? IDK.
Have you considered counseling for your loss?
Best of luck.
You will get through this.:cool:
Yea, I’ve been doing the counseling thing for a few months. It helps. My counselor said the same thing you guys did. It’s not hurting anyone, so keep doing it if it makes me happy. I do have a plan for storing/displaying them. I like having them around, in sight. That’s where I get a lot of my build ideas from.

Some people can sell stuff no problem, me I already have attachment issues to stuff. I sold my 2000 Subaru IImpreza that I had owned for over 15 years a few months ago. It was non-running for a long time. It was a piece of junk. But I had had so many memories over the years that i bawled like a baby that same night I sold it.

Selling stuff really can be hard, especially when that item has filled a place in your life. Sorry for your loss mate. I know RCs can't fill a void. But keep looking for the positives in RC -- and any other hobby. Have a purpose for the hobby: you want to be able to do X, Y, or Z. So if they don't meet that purpose, then you sell them to help fund something that will meet that purpose. The same way i am with my subaru, I am with some of the RC's i've sold. But it's helped knowing that i"ve sold some only to get some even better ones.

And thanks for sticking around the forum, I appreciate your insights and comments!
I have the opposite problem.. I'm not really attached to my stuff but rather I hate negotiating with people.. I use and abuse my toys pretty hard. When I'm ready to let go, ain't much value left. I'd just assume give it away vs haggling with people,LOL. 🤣

I have the opposite problem.. I'm not really attached to my stuff but rather I hate negotiating with people.. I use and abuse my toys pretty hard. When I'm ready to let go, ain't much value left. I'd just assume give it away vs haggling with people,LOL. 🤣

I rescue Abused 4S, 6S RCs.. (maybe 8S too)

I provide a peaceful & save place for them to be nurtured back to health and have the room for them to fully recover ,at my place.

So just letting you know. 🤘😁

PS:
In case you think I'm kidding..
Here's Proof 🔥

Last edited:
Sounds like you need something completely different. Have you thought about spending some time building a plastic model or something. A Klingon Bird of Prey, 55 Chevy, or something. I found that doing something that's fun but completely different helps the reset process.

Repeat after me "if I don't drive it, I don't store it". Repeat this every morning when you get up, I've found it helps.

Yea, I’ve been doing the counseling thing for a few months. It helps. My counselor said the same thing you guys did. It’s not hurting anyone, so keep doing it if it makes me happy. I do have a plan for storing/displaying them. I like having them around, in sight. That’s where I get a lot of my build ideas from.
You have a healthy attitude and outlook. (y) :cool:

The good news is your not collecting Pokemon, then I would say you have a problem.

Seriously, if it makes you happy and your not harming anyone, I don't see it as a problem. Just don't forget to enjoy them. Obviously you enjoy tinkering, but if your honest there are probably a few that you could let go that wouldn't bother you that much. I have way more than I need but dang it they are just cool!

By the way, if you want to add me to your will.... :ROFLMAO:

I tend to agree with this. Go on with what makes you happy in these difficult times, as long as you can afford it. I'd say a big red flag would be having a harder time to pay your bills because you are buying more RCs than you can afford. Just don't go there.

From your initial post, I sense some anxiety regarding the number of RC you have vs the available space in your apartment. Having a hobby/passion is great, but be careful not letting it go out of hand such that you will not be comfortable living in your apartment anymore. I think it is a good idea to think about selling some eventually. You may not be there yet, but you are probably not wasting your time thinking about it in advance.

Have you considered possibly selling SOME of the collection and delving into another hobby? I was big into rc's as a young man, parted ways with them for a long time, got into pew pews and found myself in a similar situation as yourself, mountains of money spent and scarce on room, and almost feeling guilty... fast forward a few years, I sold a ton of that stuff and got back into rc's and now I find since I'm not completely submerged in either one, I enjoy both more... it's ok to have an addictive personality, I think most of us on here obviously do lol, but maybe consider spreading the addiction to a few different things instead of all the eggs in one basket... and God bless you and your late wife, life kicks us in the pills sometimes, just have to keep your head up and appreciate every morning your feet hit the floor🙏

Have you considered possibly selling SOME of the collection and delving into another hobby? I was big into rc's as a young man, parted ways with them for a long time, got into pew pews and found myself in a similar situation as yourself, mountains of money spent and scarce on room, and almost feeling guilty... fast forward a few years, I sold a ton of that stuff and got back into rc's and now I find since I'm not completely submerged in either one, I enjoy both more... it's ok to have an addictive personality, I think most of us on here obviously do lol, but maybe consider spreading the addiction to a few different things instead of all the eggs in one basket... and God bless you and your late wife, life kicks us in the pills sometimes, just have to keep your head up and appreciate every morning your feet hit the floor🙏
I have other hobbies too, I like knives and pews. Lately I’ve been collecting some Medford knives, and probably going to start going back to the range.
Sounds like you need something completely different. Have you thought about spending some time building a plastic model or something. A Klingon Bird of Prey, 55 Chevy, or something. I found that doing something that's fun but completely different helps the reset process.

Repeat after me "if I don't drive it, I don't store it". Repeat this every morning when you get up, I've found it helps.
I do have some shelf queens that will never see dirt, but I classify those as “Knick nacks”. 😬

I read your post and it literally sounds exactly like me. Live in apartment, like 40 rigs and they are everywhere. I keep thinking about how miserable I'm going to be whenever we end up moving and I have to deal with this poop 🤣

I'm glad you're still able to enjoy at least something in life after what happen to your family.
Firstly , to the OP.
Condolences and sorry for your loss. When my Dad passed in 2011 it was about a year or two later I got back into the hobby that he and I used to share ( R/C) .
Everyone deals with loss differently , but I like RC , much like fishing because it’s hobby that can be either solitary or social.

Regarding the above and moving . My wife and I moved cross country last year . I have more rigs and parts than I probably need , and she and I both have a lot of vintage sewing machines . Hobbies can make moving , or downsizing to prepare a move, a royal pain .

Yeah, at least with rc's you have something to show where it went.. unless you wake up after a bender with a "tramp stamp"🤔 That IS something to remember!! (and show)😖🤣🤣
Is this personal experience? Care to share? 😊 Pics or it didn’t happen!!! 😂

I use them to cope when I need a break from work, the kids, etc. Something about working on them & modifying my cars just put my mind at ease, and it distracts me from all the other B.S. I have to deal with on a day to day basis.
Amen! I swear that a good breakdown snd rebuild does more for me than an awesome night's sleep!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back