Typhon Is it normal for both center driveshaft pins to wear so fast?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Comptrekkie

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I have about 6 hours' drive time and the pins of both my center driveshafts are about done. Is this normal? I heard a bit more noise than normal driving yesterday, so I broke down the car and looked at all the Diff fluid, that's when I noticed how worn the two center driveshafts are, and they are moving around a lot more because of this. Pretty sure this is the sound I am hearing. I am going to order the M2C ones. Just want to make sure there is not something wrong with my Typhon, or maybe I am doing something wrong?

DS2.jpg
DS1.jpg

I have about 6 hours' drive time and the pins of both my center driveshafts are about done. Is this normal? I heard a bit more noise than normal driving yesterday, so I broke down the car and looked at all the Diff fluid, that's when I noticed how worn the two center driveshafts are, and they are moving around a lot more because of this. Pretty sure this is the sound I am hearing. I am going to order the M2C ones. Just want to make sure there is not something wrong with my Typhon, or maybe I am doing something wrong?

View attachment 339918View attachment 339917

They do wear pretty fast, but the water ingress is accelerating it by 10 fold when they get rusty .. fine silt/ sand will do the same.. you can press those pins out and replace them with better tool steel, but the end result is it will just wear notches in the output cups...

Yeah. Many people replace them with mugen seiki C0270 i believe. I did and they last exponantially longer than stock. They are made in japan and tool steel. Still to this day theres is minimal wear on them
I usually weld those back up or if they shear pound out and replace.

6 hours is ~20 packs and my rigs would be getting the full teardown/bearing replacement anyway.
My trucks have went trough 40 hours+ But i don't run on wet conditions or mud always dry stuff and bearings still spin like new, i just service the motor Bearings time to time

Yeah. Many people replace them with mugen seiki C0270 i believe. I did and they last exponantially longer than stock. They are made in japan and tool steel. Still to this day theres is minimal wear on them

My trucks have went trough 40 hours+ But i don't run on wet conditions or mud always dry stuff and bearings still spin like new, i just service the motor Bearings time to time

Depends on driving style and conditions, spinning races with 65-70mph tire speeds dries fluid and eats up ball bearings much quicker. Bearings are cheap, steel drivetrain teeth and outputs are not so be proactive or reactive based on your experience. 👍🏼 Any additional friction within will exponentially wear weakest link components out faster.

They do wear pretty fast, but the water ingress is accelerating it by 10 fold when they get rusty .. fine silt/ sand will do the same.. you can press those pins out and replace them with better tool steel, but the end result is it will just wear notches in the output cups...
I try to stay out of wet conditions. I went out early the other day and did not think about the fact the field was still wet from the morning dew. car got really messy. tore it down cleaned it up and dried it. Not doing that again.
I usually weld those back up or if they shear pound out and replace.

6 hours is ~20 packs and my rigs would be getting the full teardown/bearing replacement anyway.
about 12 packs for me, but they are beefy packs, 2 x 6000 MAH 100c 6S, and 1 x 6800 MAH 120C 6S. Gives me about 1.5 hours of play. I do have a full Fast Eddies Berring pack. Was hoping to wait a bit longer before I needed to do that. Only had the Typhon for 3 weeks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back