Outcast Is it worth it to get an upgraded motor and esc for bashing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The max6 combo was on sale for $200 on Black Friday, and it got me thinking about upgrading. The stock blx system will do standing backflips, go about as fast as non-belted tires will allow, and it seems like it will push the differentials to their limit.

Are there real significant advantages to going with the larger motor and esc other than maybe less heat? I don’t see how more power can be put down without popping wheels and diffs. Is the difference more noticeable on the longer wheelbase platforms that don’t already wheelie on command up to top speed?

It is hard to get a sense of the power increase through video reviews. The result looks pretty similar to the stock system, but I imagine less throttle is being used.

While I am asking questions, what is normally the bottleneck on the stock blx system. Is it the esc, motor, or battery?

The Max6/1650 combo will have much more torque than stock. I’m a Basher and find the larger motor set up definitely has a different feel to the rig. There is much more power left in the tank when doing soaring jumps. I find myself on the throttle less approaching the jumps and counting on the available power as I get near the end and go airborne. If you are changing the motor for purely speed, I don’t think that’s an appropriate reason for a Basher. I wouldn’t trade my 1650 combo in my Kraton for anything. It’s a blast and I picked up one of the. $191.00 Amazon specials on Black Friday just to have as a spare......and then I got a Mojave EXB just to use the combo in that.

I still run the stock setup on my Kraton and run the heck out of it. I've had no issues and it works for what I want it to do. I don't plan on replacing it until it burns out.

The Max6/1650 combo will have much more torque than stock. I’m a Basher and find the larger motor set up definitely has a different feel to the rig. There is much more power left in the tank when doing soaring jumps. I find myself on the throttle less approaching the jumps and counting on the available power as I get near the end and go airborne. If you are changing the motor for purely speed, I don’t think that’s an appropriate reason for a Basher. I wouldn’t trade my 1650 combo in my Kraton for anything. It’s a blast and I picked up one of the. $191.00 Amazon specials on Black Friday just to have as a spare......and then I got a Mojave EXB just to use the combo in that.
I wish I could go back and buy the combo for $191 just to have it. That seems like a really good deal.

My 4985 1650kv motor runs a hell of a lot cooler than my stock system did. My BLX185 motor was always extremely toasty after a run even with a heatsink and fan.

My 4985 1650kv motor runs a hell of a lot cooler than my stock system did. My BLX185 motor was always extremely toasty after a run even with a heatsink and fan.
I have had to let my car sit and cool for a while when running in grass, and that was at 40-50F ambient. I’ll need to get a temp gun and fans for spring.

The max6 combo was on sale for $200 on Black Friday, and it got me thinking about upgrading. The stock blx system will do standing backflips, go about as fast as non-belted tires will allow, and it seems like it will push the differentials to their limit.

Are there real significant advantages to going with the larger motor and esc other than maybe less heat? I don’t see how more power can be put down without popping wheels and diffs. Is the difference more noticeable on the longer wheelbase platforms that don’t already wheelie on command up to top speed?

It is hard to get a sense of the power increase through video reviews. The result looks pretty similar to the stock system, but I imagine less throttle is being used.

While I am asking questions, what is normally the bottleneck on the stock blx system. Is it the esc, motor, or battery?
With the stock BLX system, I often hit thermal cut-off once or twice every run using the speed 16t pinion in my Noto, especially in hot weather. There were split second moments when it would cog on me too, where the ESC couldn't deliver the power quick enough, particularly when trying to do back flips or correcting in mid air

After making the move to the Max6 1650kv combo, the torque feels instant because there's plenty of it. The top speed is about the same with a 20t pinion but with a lot more torque. It runs a bit cooler too, but can still overheat as easily as the stock system can under constant heavy load, just as any other combo would do. Plenty of cooling is fundamental IMO for any system you use ❄️

I just wanted wrench on mine and see what the fuss was about anyway! If you have neither or any other issues with your stock system whatsoever, there's no reason to change it other than to try something new ?‍♂️?

Don't get me wrong the BLX system works OK. I'm a bashin fool but on a budget so I can't afford half the cost of a new rig for a new power system unfortunately. I run both my K6s's on stock system but I run the 15t pinion for the extra umph and better air control. I do have high motor temps even with heatsink and dual fans which sucks but it is what it is. I think as most everything in this hobby it's preference preference preference and how deep of pockets you have.. that being said the BLX system has held up fine for me so far just have to be mindful of temps and for me amp cutoff when at WOT. Otherwise I've snapped a chassis, wing mounts, suspension hangers, bent hinge pins and broken standoff screws but the ESC and motor still as good as the day I unboxed them?

Don't get me wrong the BLX system works OK. I'm a bashin fool but on a budget so I can't afford half the cost of a new rig for a new power system unfortunately. I run both my K6s's on stock system but I run the 15t pinion for the extra umph and better air control. I do have high motor temps even with heatsink and dual fans which sucks but it is what it is. I think as most everything in this hobby it's preference preference preference and how deep of pockets you have.. that being said the BLX system has held up fine for me so far just have to be mindful of temps and for me amp cutoff when at WOT. Otherwise I've snapped a chassis, wing mounts, suspension hangers, bent hinge pins and broken standoff screws but the ESC and motor still as good as the day I unboxed them?
The smart thing for me to do would be to make it stronger rather than faster, but I have a hard time replacing parts that haven’t broken yet.

I run the stock system in the oc and max6 combo in the Kraton. Never felt the need to overweight the oc. If you’re running a heavy chassis and towers maybe the extra motor and amps would benefit. More weight more break...

Stock system: powerful enough to do everything it claims to do but electronics do get quite warm
Upgraded system: eledtronics will run cooler maybe more torque and speed. BUT more torque increases the stress on the drivetrain. Diff outdrives, diff,internal sun gears, tire might fail Prematurely. This is the main reason i don't want to overpower an rc is it really that worth it to get a little extra torque and speed but put a lot stress into the whole drivetrain of the truck? Same goes for irl cars. Sticking superchargers to boost HP but at the end your engine is just going to fall apart a lot quicker and same for the transmission unless its an honda or a toyota

I wish I could go back and buy the combo for $191 just to have it. That seems like a really good deal.

No brainer for my new EXB Mojave, great timing. Noticed the price has gone up to $239 now but still a tremendous bargain for this combo in my opinion.

@bashingpumpkins I agree more strength is definitely a must. Only parts I upgraded out of the box was EXB chassis braces and RPM arms all around which has saved chassis damage on those aired out launches and not breaking a arms over the stock arms. Also adding a RPM front bumper has saved my front end countless times on nose heavy landings as well?

@bashingpumpkins I agree more strength is definitely a must. Only parts I upgraded out of the box was EXB chassis braces and RPM arms all around which has saved chassis damage on those aired out launches and not breaking a arms over the stock arms. Also adding a RPM front bumper has saved my front end countless times on nose heavy landings as well?
How do the exb chassis braces hold up? It looks like they are a little over half the cost of m2c braces. Does the screw from the bottom extend through the brace so a nut can be added on top?

Stock system: powerful enough to do everything it claims to do but electronics do get quite warm
Upgraded system: eledtronics will run cooler maybe more torque and speed. BUT more torque increases the stress on the drivetrain. Diff outdrives, diff,internal sun gears, tire might fail Prematurely. This is the main reason i don't want to overpower an rc is it really that worth it to get a little extra torque and speed but put a lot stress into the whole drivetrain of the truck? Same goes for irl cars. Sticking superchargers to boost HP but at the end your engine is just going to fall apart a lot quicker and same for the transmission unless its an honda or a toyota
I've been running mine on the stock drive train for about a year and a half, only thing I have had happen was I snapped a diff pin once.

I've been running mine on the stock drive train for about a year and a half, only thing I have had happen was I snapped a diff pin once.
My notorious smoked the stock blx185 pretty early on, and when i got the replacement it went the same roman candle mode as well. I upped everything to the max6 and a 4092 hobbystar in 1480 or 1730kv and never looked back. Not sure if the added load of the bigger tires got it or what, but I have a max6 in 10 rigs now and haven't killed one yet. I have a dual battery stretched mojave i run on 8s and the 6s drivetrain has held up even with belted 3.8 badlands on it. You just have to make sure you shim the diffs or you have issues.

fat bastard11.jpg

fat bastard12.jpg

My notorious smoked the stock blx185 pretty early on, and when i got the replacement it went the same roman candle mode as well. I upped everything to the max6 and a 4092 hobbystar in 1480 or 1730kv and never looked back. Not sure if the added load of the bigger tires got it or what, but I have a max6 in 10 rigs now and haven't killed one yet. I have a dual battery stretched mojave i run on 8s and the 6s drivetrain has held up even with belted 3.8 badlands on it. You just have to make sure you shim the diffs or you have issues.

View attachment 112785

View attachment 112786
Did you make the green cap on your esc?

Back