Kraton Just got a new (used) Kraton 6S V4 - Total Rookie and need some advice. :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ts2340

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
I just got a lightly used Kraton 6s V4.. Sadly I have yet to even be able to drive it because it's been cold af since I got it..

I'm very new to the hobby.. Got my son a ECX AMP MT kit for his birthday back in December and I wanted something bad.. Got the Traxxas Rustler 2WD for Christmas for myself.. Got 2S lipos for both of them but couldn't get the itch out to get something else..

I was going back and forth between the Traxxas E-Revo 2.0 and the Kraton 6S and ended up getting a pretty good deal on the Kraton..

It's still too cold for me to want to go out and drive it but I'd at least like to do SOMETHING to it.. Problem is I'm a total rookie when it comes to RC so not even sure what I can do.. What would you guys do if you got a used car? What would you work on ??

Thanks guys! Excited to drive this thing..

I'm very new to the hobby with a K6S too...and buried in snow as well.

I suggest you watch youtube videos on car maintenance and learn to work on your Kraton. There are a lot of them. Recently, I really enjoyed the maintenance/repairs videos from fellow forum member @bicketybam . They are to the point and useful. Watching these wrenching videos will also help you figure out the tools you need to work on your RC cars.

Sorry mate. I can delete if necessary..
I'm in Michigan and running mine, in the snow... Keeps the ESC cool.. LOL
Search the threads buddy, there are lots of improvements that can be made, and should be. It all depends on the amount you want to spend and how you are going to treat your ride... Lot's of factors to determine, but only by you my man.

No problem, who cares?

I'd start with a full vehicle check:
- wear and tear or broken stuff
- check your diffs and fluids
- shocks
- loose and stripped screws
- bearings

Just take it apart and find out how it works, that's half the fun!
Do you have some good tools like hex drivers?

Welcome to the Forum!!

The Kraton is a fan favorite by many, being a used Kraton, what @JvG stated is best to do from the start. You can get an idea of parts you think may need replacing or possibly find something broken. The Tools section here is a great resource as well to start figuring out what the best tools to have right away are! Hex Drivers for sure (.5mm up to 3.5mm), Exacto Knife, Super Glue, Gorilla tape, needle nose pliers and a Soldering iron or Butane Torch (to heat up some screws before removal, so you don't strip them!). I personally think those are a great starting point with the tools, you'll accumulate the rest as you go if the hobby pulls you back in fully!!

Hope the weather clears up for ya sooner then later. Have fun!

I'm very new to the hobby with a K6S too...and buried in snow as well.

I suggest you watch youtube videos on car maintenance and learn to work on your Kraton. There are a lot of them. Recently, I really enjoyed the maintenance/repairs videos from fellow forum member @bicketybam . They are to the point and useful. Watching these wrenching videos will also help you figure out the tools you need to work on your RC cars.

Thanks a lot! I'll do some search for his videos..

No problem, who cares?

I'd start with a full vehicle check:
- wear and tear or broken stuff
- check your diffs and fluids
- shocks
- loose and stripped screws
- bearings

Just take it apart and find out how it works, that's half the fun!
Do you have some good tools like hex drivers?

I just bought the toolset and .5 that were recommended in the tool thread.. :)

I'll have to watch some vids on the shocks, diffs, and fluids because I'm clueless.. Thanks again everyone!

Welcome to the club bro...like everyone said, watch every kraton taredown vid you can find and become familiar with your k6. They can be very overwhelming at first but keep learning and they become less intimidating. I got my k6 2 months ago and am only just now feeling confident in working on it. Fair warning, this hobby is an endless rabbit hole lol. Enjoy it ??

Welcome to the club bro...like everyone said, watch every kraton taredown vid you can find and become familiar with your k6. They can be very overwhelming at first but keep learning and they become less intimidating. I got my k6 2 months ago and am only just now feeling confident in working on it. Fair warning, this hobby is an endless rabbit hole lol. Enjoy it ??

You guys have any links to the videos you would recommend? Thanks!

You guys have any links to the videos you would recommend? Thanks!

What maintenance do you want to do? There are tons of maintenance videos on Youtube and they are all broken up into various short videos for all the different tasks...and it's better that way IMO. I have not looked into complete tear down videos. There may be some, but I guess they would be too long and it could become overwhelming rapidly. I'm new to the hobby too and there's a lot of stuff to learn!

I suggest you use the search function on Youtube with the right keywords for the exact intervention you want to do.

Finally had a chance to take it out! My first run with it was sweet.. Fast AF. Took about 30 seconds to roll it.. When I did, a battery fell out.. That's when I realized that the long strap wasn't in.. Tried for about 15 minutes to get it back in (under the hole where it goes) and couldn't get it.. Ended up having some zipties handy and used them to keep the batteries in..

I don't know if it was just perception after that but it didn't seem as fast.. It was still fast just didn't seem like HOLY CRAP fast.. Batteries were still fully charged, I would think..

Barely popped any wheelies even on cement.. Wouldn't go in reverse at all, not sure if that's a setting I did somehow..

Still, very fun and cant wait to take it out again..
Just cleaned it down and noticed this..

looks like that read threaded piece doesn’t stick out at all on the other side..

Attachments

• B5800469-A5C1-48E4-B1B1-F47FB71EEECE.jpeg
    B5800469-A5C1-48E4-B1B1-F47FB71EEECE.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 37
No big deal bro, Welcome!
I truly believe the Kraton 6s is a much better platform than the Erevo 2. Don't know if your 2wd Rustler is a VXL, but if it is, you need to put it on 3s lipo, night and day, have one myself just for street and speed runs.

Finally had a chance to take it out! My first run with it was sweet.. Fast AF. Took about 30 seconds to roll it.. When I did, a battery fell out.. That's when I realized that the long strap wasn't in.. Tried for about 15 minutes to get it back in (under the hole where it goes) and couldn't get it.. Ended up having some zipties handy and used them to keep the batteries in..

I don't know if it was just perception after that but it didn't seem as fast.. It was still fast just didn't seem like HOLY CRAP fast.. Batteries were still fully charged, I would think..

Barely popped any wheelies even on cement.. Wouldn't go in reverse at all, not sure if that's a setting I did somehow..

Still, very fun and cant wait to take it out again..
Just cleaned it down and noticed this..

looks like that read threaded piece doesn’t stick out at all on the other side..
Yeah you’ll want to fix that pillar ball retaining nut. Those orings are a B sometimes

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back