Kraton EXB: Too close for comfort?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I have a 21t on there at the moment. Winter time it can be geared up a little more. The weakness of the setup is the esc overheating in the summertime. Others have put bigger fans on them, i may try a 40mm and remove the plastic housing to cool it down a little easier. It a pretty violent setup, perfect for construction sites or dirt lots. Much more torque than the stock setup, more potential top speed and better air control. You have to keep up with tire glueing and vent them or they blow off. Only drawback is the extra weight. It is quite noticeable compared to the stock setup.
Ahh cool. I've been thinking of pulling the trigger and getting an EXB after Christmas. I've been trying to figure out a build around 50-ish mph and won't over heat. At least as fast as my BRCC 3s.

Ahh cool. I've been thinking of pulling the trigger and getting an EXB after Christmas. I've been trying to figure out a build around 50-ish mph and won't over heat. At least as fast as my BRCC 3s.
If you check out some older @Mr.Duke threads you will find some speed logs with this setup. He was running it in a couple cars and some even on 8s. Pretty sure he was getting close to 70ish maybe faster, stock tires on his Outcast 6s.

If you check out some older @Mr.Duke threads you will find some speed logs with this setup. He was running it in a couple cars and some even on 8s. Pretty sure he was getting close to 70ish maybe faster, stock tires on his Outcast 6s.
Thx. 70 is waaaay to fast for me hah. I know my limits ;)

So after some bashing, I did discover that the ESC and the motor shaft hit. It's very slight, but the sticker on the ESC is partially melted and stipped away.
PXL_20201224_220748717.jpg

I ended up taking the M2C plate back out, marking the ESC holes and drilling out new ones.

ESC Plate Fix.jpg

Fits much better now :D
Moved ESC.jpg

Mine been fine for almost two years just like that. My pinion did come loose once and rub the esc a bit...

View attachment 115058
What mesh you got over your fans?
And how did you fix the 2 to the motor?
I just bought a SkyRc 1/5th scale but the dimensions they had listed were way off so ended up cutting the plastic surround and fixing with cable ties
The fans are actually bigger than the Max6 ESC fan so had to fix them from just under the motor wires at 12oclock and run them down over. Was thinking of putting 2 layers of drywall at 45’ angles to each other so they can keep out the small stuff too but still let enough air as to not restrict the fans, or use a fishing net like the kids ones
What do you think?
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
I just bought a SkyRc 1/5th scale but the dimensions they had listed were way off so ended up cutting the plastic surround and fixing with cable ties
The fans are actually bigger than the Max6 ESC fan so had to fix them from just under the motor wires at 12oclock and run them down over. Was thinking of putting 2 layers of drywall at 45’ angles to each other so they can keep out the small stuff too but still let enough air as to not restrict the fans, or use a fishing net like the kids ones
What do you think?
View attachment 122425View attachment 122426
This is on a Hobbywing 1650 with a 50spur and 23t pinion.
You can see what I mean by sideways hence wanting some protection for the fan blades before I take it to the BMX track
On a side note you may notice the silver bolts with nuts on, there there simply because I hate button head bolts so by fitting 2 bolts on it means that u can always unscrew them without risk of stripping the heads

This is on a Hobbywing 1650 with a 50spur and 23t pinion.
You can see what I mean by sideways hence wanting some protection for the fan blades before I take it to the BMX track
On a side note you may notice the silver bolts with nuts on, there there simply because I hate button head bolts so by fitting 2 bolts on it means that u can always unscrew them without risk of stripping the heads

I replace most of mine with socket head cap screws. The M4 socket heads are nice as they use a 3mm hex I've not stripped a single one of those.
everbilt-socket-head-cap-screws-38198-64_1000.jpg

The mesh is just screen like you have for a house window. It was in the garage because I never throw anything out. It cuts easy with scissors.
The fans are mounted to an aluminum bridge which connects to two aluminum clamps.

Last edited:
I replace most of mine with socket head cap screws. The M4 socket heads are nice as they use a 3mm hex I've not stripped a single one of those.
View attachment 122442

I am going to try this on my son’s Kraton EXB today. I think I have the bolts. I will need to dremel the roll cage/center diff cap so it will fit I think. I am fitting a 17 tooth pinion so maybe I won’t need that last part since it will be farther out than it is with the stock 12t.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back