Leaving parked on tires, is it really a no-no?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCyborgSlayer

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Typhon 6s
When I got into rc I always heard never to leave you car on its wheels because it will damage the foam inside. I never questioned it, just went with it. So now I’m questioning it. Lol. Looking at the things we put these things through, does just leaving the rc on a shelf, or on the living floor in the corner for a few days until next bash, is it ‘really’ hurting the tire? I can see long term it possibly being a problem, but the more and more I think about, the less I feel it’s hurting anything in the short term. I could be completely wrong, so curious to hear other opinions.
Have you seen first hand issues or do you do it just because of it’s just what you heard also?

When I got into rc I always heard never to leave you car on its wheels because it will damage the foam inside. I never questioned it, just went with it. So now I’m questioning it. Lol. Looking at the things we put these things through, does just leaving the rc on a shelf, or on the living floor in the corner for a few days until next bash, is it ‘really’ hurting the tire? I can see long term it possibly being a problem, but the more and more I think about, the less I feel it’s hurting anything in the short term. I could be completely wrong, so curious to hear other opinions.
Have you seen first hand issues or do you do it just because of it’s just what you heard also?
I never heard of it but I saw other people's on stands so I put mine on a stand. It doesn't make sense that it would wreck anything short term. MAYBE long term though.

The wheels on my rc planes get flat spots if they are not stored on a rack, they weigh no where near what an rc truck weighs, so I automatically keep my ground vehicles off of the tires when not in use.

I have been putting my rigs on stands for 30 years. The tires and foams will flat spot. And the Springs will sag. I learned the hard way. I have so many rigs. and some of them do sit unused for many months. Especially my Crawlers rigs with very soft foams and tires and springs.
Inexpensive Yoga Blocks are great. What I use now. Used to use 4x4 blocks of woods.
But whatever works for you, as long as the rig is suspended and raised. I believe in that.

Even scale car tires will flat spot by sitting for a month or so. Classic Cars taken off the road and put in storage are usually up on blocks. Saves the springs and tires. Same concept. I know that many don't do this with their RC's. Not even a thought.

On a few of my vintage rigs, I remove the wheels and put them in plastic bags. The rubber does dry rot over the years. Foams also. And once foams get wet, they are are borrowed time. They get real moldy and stink, especially the open cell foams that we bash with.

I keep mine on stands when not in use, always. Milk crates actually. They make for great 1/5 scale stands. To be honest I don’t know if damage occurs to RC tires when left flat on the ground for extended periods. I certainly wouldn’t leave them for months but a few days, a week....?....probably not an issue.

ps.
rigs look sexier when they’re elevated....🤣

cheers,
kev

Every rig I own is on blocks, always done this. I will sometimes run a rig and plop it down on the floor for a few days when I get home but goes back on blocks when it's clean. Do the same with my hotrods, they are not daily driven so sit on jack stands.

Hang em high.

20210320_160244.jpg

They've all been packed with snow many times this winter- except for the redcats. My bearings gotta be hating life. I'm sure there's actual mud in my foams even after venting everything. They drain better for me this way.

Hang em high.

View attachment 135010

They've all been packed with snow many times this winter- except for the redcats. My bearings gotta be hating life. I'm sure there's actual mud in my foams even after venting everything. They drain better for me this way.
I have to hang mine on the wall by the wheelie bar due to lack of space in my basement.
To stick to the OPs question: I've heard of flats many times and would avoid setting RCs on their tires for too long.
But, Kevin Talbot has so many RCs he sets on shelfes and I don't recall him using blocks. But then again, he just buys new ones if he needs too.

I noticed the exact same thing with Kt. Never on Blocks. May guys leave them just sitting around. I thought I was more anal than most. But I definitely have flat spotted wheels and sagged my springs before, sitting on a shelf with no stand for years. But to be honest, KT has a different mentality with RC rigs than most. He tosses them around like they are $5.00 Toys. :LOL: Everyone's wallet is different?
Or maybe it's just me. 🤷‍♂️ I cherish my rigs more than most?

Hang em high.

View attachment 135010

Why does this make me think of an RC slasher movie? 🤣

Not sure about these tires. My son left his broken Axial SCX10, with Pitbull tires ,on the bench for a long time. When he got it running again, they were egged out

Hang em high.

View attachment 135010

Reminds me of a butcher shop!!

I had a Clod Buster and regretted leaving it on the floor bad move tires egg shaped and was a expensive learning curve, Now my trucks stay up on either old wheels or 2x4.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back