Kraton Leopard 4092 1730kv

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in the market for a Max6 or 8. I thought I damaged my MMX but I didn't. It's hard to hurt that thing, which is good.

While shopping around, I noticed the feature of the anti spark built into the ESC of some of the Hobbywings. I hate the big snap and burn marks I get with most connectors. Just another reason to try one out when I'm ready.

Hey Vanning and Kauaiguy, need your input please. First off, I am ridiculously happy with my Leopard 4092. No more mombas for me. I want to make sure I'm running safe temps. Running on 5s for 15 minutes with 17 pinion, motor temp 151, battery temp 91, ambient outdoor temp is 68, ESC temp 123. Acceleration is excellent, top speed is equivalent to or better than my Momba in my Talion.

When I contacted Leopard about running temps on my V2 4282 1680kv they told me not to run it over 200 degrees F for too long. I told them I were hitting 164 regularly and they said it were fine.

I've hit 200 plus with mine because I had a bad connector solder joint. It's still working fine. I didn't hit it for too long because my ESC shut down. 164F, that's not an issue. I like to try and stay lower because my Kraton runs for a long time on a charge. Part of that is due to running cooler.

Last edited:
I've hit 200 plus with mine because I had a bad connector solder joint. It's still working fine. I didn't hit it for too long because my ESC shut down. 164F, that's not an issue. I like to try and stay lower because my Kraton runs for a long time on a charge. Part of that is due to running cooler.
I hit 185 on my 1480kv with 17/46 gearing doing short full throttle bursts, does that sound about right to you Vanning?

Nope. Sounds hot ??? Isn't that very slow mph gearing ? Should be rather cool with that gearing. Sounds about right for a bad solder joint. Or it doesn't like to be under geared.

Last edited:
Nope. Sounds hot ??? Isn't that very slow mph gearing ? Should be rather cool with that gearing. Sounds about right for a bad solder joint. Or it doesn't like to be under geared.
Same as 21/50, maybe I should be checking soldering also

Same as 21/50, maybe I should be checking soldering also
21/50 is 2.38 and 17/46 is 2.70 to 1. How is that the same Gear ratio ? 21/50 will get the heat up.... I run 19/50 or 20/50. I can stay pretty low with that. 20/46 is close to 21/50. Yeah..... my rig didn't do well on the Castle connectors. I should have used a torch to put them on I guess. My temps sky rocketed with them on. I never had issues like that in 30 years of rc. I cleaned up everything and redid the solder. Runs fine now.

Last edited:
21/50 is 2.38 and 17/46 is 2.70 to 1. How is that the same Gear ratio ? 21/50 will get the heat up.... I run 19/50 or 20/50. I can stay pretty low with that. 20/46 is close to 21/50. Yeah..... my rig didn't do well on the Castle connectors. I should have used a torch to put them on I guess. My temps sky rocketed with them on. I never had issues like that in 30 years of rc. I cleaned up everything and redid the solder. Runs fine now.
Oops my maths was wrong. I will go back to 15/46, didn't have issues then.
I wish I hadn't spent so much on castle connectors :(

If I try them again, it would be with a Max8 and I would use the pencil torch to install them. At this point I wasted money also. I didn't install them good enough....It looked ok but maybe never got hot enough. Live and learn.

15/46 ? Are you rock crawling ? :D

Last edited:
I just saw on the Leopard website that this 1730kv 4092 is rated for 20V max? That seems strange to me. You guys fine with running 6s? I assume it works and will last, but just wanted to check! Thanks!

Only run 6s with my 4092. No problems
Hey man what gearing are you running in your kraton? I saw you were running 18 tooth is that with a 50 spur?

Hey man what gearing are you running in your kraton? I saw you were running 18 tooth is that with a 50 spur?
Looking for gearing I have that motor on the way.. I run src road crusher and dboots backflip tires

This thread has been so educational for me. Especially @Vanning . I realize I have focused on one component at a time. Motor too hot, add fan. Upgrade motor, then esc too hot. Upgrade esc now I killed several lipos. It’s the whole system. It seems so obvious but I was being short sighted.

I have a SMC 6s that has a couple runs on it and it’s dropped a cell. 3.88 and the others are 4.18 or so. I got some voltage alarms to attach to the batteries to monitor for over-drawing them. I’m guessing I stressed the batteries and killed them, unless it’s just random bad luck.

Eventually I’ll get them sorted but I gotta learn to make the trucks efficient and cool, not fast. Thanks guys!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back