Limitless LibertyMkiii's crazy belt drive car project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leaf blower, and where the air intake is light a smoke bomb. Most leaf blowers are 220mph, maybe light 2 or 3 bombs if you are going to use the cheap 4th of July ones.
That doesn’t address his issue of the ground effect.

but I am talking about the wind tunnel.
Yes, the wind tunnel cannot factor in the static ground below the car vs moving ground under a moving vehicle on the road. That factor is crucial. What many find is that computer models can factor this and will be more accurate. Computer models also allow for quick design changes and retests.

Yes, the wind tunnel cannot factor in the static ground below the car vs moving ground under a moving vehicle on the road. That factor is crucial. What many find is that computer models can factor this and will be more accurate. Computer models also allow for quick design changes and retests.
Understand. Is there a belt in the floor of a wind tunnel?

Last edited:
Understand is there a belt on the floor of a wind tunnel?
So…a 200+ mph leaf blower, many smoke bombs AND a treadmill. I like where this is going! 😃

Depends, the better/more expensive ones have one, some don't..
Straight from the Mercedes F1 windtunnel video:

1642451219115.png

Many NASCAR wind tunnels have panels with vacuum holes and air pressure holes to inject air back. This removes the boundary layer on the floor like a rolling road would have.
The best thing would be a treadmill, but it would need an impressive setup to keep the belt snug to the track and not "loop" out towards the car in the middle.

I looked extensively into it all and decided it was going to be too hard to do at this time and within any sort of budget under $5k

I like drver61 and as soon as i saw this I thought about you @LibertyMKiii it is not the main guy, but it should still be good.

This was big news for F1 teams this year.
Under car aerodynamics and ground effect is very interesting stuff. This does remind me I still need to 3D print my tail / diffuser section of the car.

tail Capture.JPG

It could still use some smoothing imho
Absolutely
The plan is to print it and then do some body working with auto body filler.

* Edit
Now that I have the body produced I'll likely re-design to fit more exactly and take the opportunity to improve the shape. The transition is rather abrupt and not smooth enough.

Last edited:
I have been making big progress with the car again this week.
Spent the first half of the work doing some body work on the body. Once it is sanded and primed I'll update with some pics.

Last night I worked on the steering. This setup is a little unorthodox but has zero slop/wobble. The downside is that it cannot be adjusted without remaking parts. It will be setup with a very minimal toe angle. These are small pieces of carbon fiber with flanged sleeve inserts that I found in my random screws and parts bin. Ideally they would be made of brass, but for now they are plastic.

(The nice Savox servo is in my Hobao VTE 2 and will be pulled back out for this car soon.)

1644504709645.png

I have been making big progress with the car again this week.
Spent the first half of the work doing some body work on the body. Once it is sanded and primed I'll update with some pics.

Last night I worked on the steering. This setup is a little unorthodox but has zero slop/wobble. The downside is that it cannot be adjusted without remaking parts. It will be setup with a very minimal toe angle. These are small pieces of carbon fiber with flanged sleeve inserts that I found in my random screws and parts bin. Ideally they would be made of brass, but for now they are plastic.

(The nice Savox servo is in my Hobao VTE 2 and will be pulled back out for this car soon.)

View attachment 199176
With reference to Servos, I have found the upper end (170tbl/sbl) Protek Servos have an incredibly accurate and strong zero hold. It may be more critical with such a tight steering rack.

With reference to Servos, I have found the upper end (170tbl/sbl) Protek Servos have an incredibly accurate and strong zero hold. It may be more critical with such a tight steering rack.
Thanks, I'll keep this in mind. So far I have zero complaints related to the Savox SB 2290 SG
I had considered using a 1/5 scale servo given this is all custom, but it would be much harder to fit.

Liberty's CF bodies was mentioned in the video today.. But I don't think he raced it just yet..

He likes to put it as the cover image and show it on occasion because it gets more view/clicks for his videos.
We talked originally about running it on a known car that can do 180+ and see how much more efficient it is.

Then he went on to building another dual motor car saying he would use it on that. Now he built a quad motor car and is talking about running the body on that one :rolleyes:

I expect both of those cars will just be a series of parts failures and crashes like last year.

He likes to put it as the cover image and show it on occasion because it gets more view/clicks for his videos.
We talked originally about running it on a known car that can do 180+ and see how much more efficient it is.

Then he went on to building another dual motor car saying he would use it on that. Now he built a quad motor car and is talking about running the body on that one :rolleyes:

I expect both of those cars will just be a series of parts failures and crashes like last year.
I would just send one to James Mccoy ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back