Typhon LibertyMKiii's Typhon GT streamliner and 4Tec 2.0 speed run projects

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beginnings of the 4tec stretch body mold/plug.
Easy to see why this can be significantly more aerodynamic :love:

20200420_203151.jpg

20200420_203301.jpg

Very cool! 3d printed front?
Just going to be used to create a mold as the filament isn't stiff enough for 140+ mph uses.
I'll make a body out of fiberglass or carbon fiber like I did on the Unlimited project.

How’s the chassis going so far? Are you replacing the stock chassis with just CF or doing a combination of the two?
Chassis is basically done with the exception of setting up the bearing carriers and center brace. I'll also have to do some cuts for the battery straps. Due to the design on this chassis I had to do a combination of the two parts. Saga Custom RC has a design where he replaces the center chassis, but I know some people who have that chassis and noticed that it eats up 3mm of the already minimal ground clearance. This design sits on top of the chassis so there is no loss of ground clearance (y)

I am going to do some triangulation from the center brace to the upper camber arm. GPM makes a part for this which I used on my previous 4tec but want to make something custom (shocking I know) That is why the upper brace cardboard template has "wings".
20200422_212325.jpg

Last edited:
Picked up a tool for helping with gearing choices. The SkyRC Brushless motor analyzer. I hate to have yet another tool that gets used 1 time a year, but I am all about data, and informed decisions.

You could have several BLX 2050 KV motors tested and each would come out as a different actual KV.

Mine is certainly under the rated KV. Tests range between 1905 and 1918 KV.
20200506_195858.jpg

I don't know the full history of the motor as I bought the Typhon used, but I opened it up, changed the bearings, and all looked great.

We are finally settled into the new home and all of my wife's curtains are hung o_O
Now just waiting for a good weather day to prove this Typhon runs 130+ on the factory motor! (I think it has 140+ in it after a gear change)

I am looking to relocate my GPS either hanging on the rear diff outside the body or on the front diff in the front bumper area. This way it will be visible without having to pull the body off.

As some insurance to these highly volnerable locations I figured it needs a case. Garmin Forerunner 301s are getting harder to find these days.... This likely won't be the final design, but V1 looks fairly decent.

Screenshot_20200509-142815.jpg

Screenshot_20200509-142828.jpg

I am looking to relocate my GPS either hanging on the rear diff outside the body or on the front diff in the front bumper area. This way it will be visible without having to pull the body off.

As some insurance to these highly volnerable locations I figured it needs a case. Garmin Forerunner 301s are getting harder to find these days.... This likely won't be the final design, but V1 looks fairly decent.

View attachment 79400
View attachment 79401

DAY-UM....that's pretty nice!

I keep seeing more and more reasons to get a printer. With all the stuff I'm selling on eBay, and the space it's freeing up downstairs, I can almost see one in the future.....

very cool @LibertyMKiii

DAY-UM....that's pretty nice!

I keep seeing more and more reasons to get a printer. With all the stuff I'm selling on eBay, and the space it's freeing up downstairs, I can almost see one in the future.....

I ordered a 3d printer but it’ll be weeks before I get it. Fortunately, this gives me time to learn fusion 360 which I’m learning fairly easily atm.

Revised the design to use zip ties and might sell a few.

1589402245221.png

Printed the last 2 pieces of the 1/8 and 1/7 bodies and used some BSI CA glue to connect the pieces.
I have TOOOONNNNNSSSSSS of sanding and prep work ahead of me. My least favorite part of the process :(

1589402341183.png

1589402389062.png

In a worst case scenario I have a boat ;)

1589402446728.png

Boca ceramic bearings and 11 mm bit for the mill finally came in for the 4tec 2.0 project.

This aluminum bar stock is overkill for this scale, but I got a good price on it.
20200515_222410.jpg

20200515_222652.jpg

This was one of my largest concerns and glad to have this step done!

Lots of aluminum all over to clean up with the shop vac tomorrow after the kids wake up :sleep:

Boca ceramic bearings and 11 mm bit for the mill finally came in for the 4tec 2.0 project.

This aluminum bar stock is overkill for this scale, but I got a good price on it.
View attachment 80554
View attachment 80555

This was one of my largest concerns and glad to have this step done!

Lots of aluminum all over to clean up with the shop vac tomorrow after the kids wake up :sleep:
I see you went with the blue drift tire tape. Kev used green ??????

The shaft coupler I got is steel and is quite heavy. I noticed it's considerably thicker than it needs to be with 10mm walls.

Emco Unimat SL to the rescue again...
20200516_100442.jpg

20200516_102035.jpg

It could use a little polish and finishing, but I'm exhaust for the day. It now has 5mm walls. Weight reduced by 1/2 and will be plenty strong still!

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back