Typhon LibertyMKiii's Typhon GT streamliner and 4Tec 2.0 speed run projects

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
awesome! Is that a lathe?
You can see in post #157 it is setup as a 3 axis mill/cnc
Then you can adapt it to a lathe as seen in post #160, and still has X & Y movement in that configuration, plus some minimal Z axis adjustments.

The Emco-Unimat DB/SL is a 1950's through 1977's Austrian bench top mill/lathe tool and it is just amazing for RC size part making. They run on average around $350-$500 on eBay. I got it on a trade with a friend. He uses the MIG Welder I traded him all the time mending fences on his farm, and I constantly use this mill/lathe. Previously both tools were collecting dust not being used for years at a time, so it was a great trade for both of us.

I have been working to get the 3D printed 1/8 and 1/7 mold ready.
Lots of sanding and prep o_O
20200523_112626.jpg

I was really hoping the 3D print process would cut down on the body prep but NOPE. Its a mess....
Granted my CR-10 doing large prints gets some warpage in the prints etc, but this is lots of work. I am having flashbacks of the unlimited project :ROFLMAO:

sanding Capture.JPG

Did you sketch out the car under the shell or was it something you downloaded?
Sketched it all in Fusion 360. Had to all be custom since it has the stretched wheelbase...
Only tires lower arms and main chassis. No need for the rest in this scenario.

Very cool! Couples connecting the dog bones?
yep a steel coupler connecting the two steel shafts. That is the coupler I was running down with the lathe from 10mm walls to 5mm walls. I think I'll be sending the motor back if I can. I ran it on my KV tester and its pulling about 2x the amps that it should. It also got hot in a hurry just on 7.4 volts. That wont fly with 8s.

yep a steel coupler connecting the two steel shafts. That is the coupler I was running down with the lathe from 10mm walls to 5mm walls. I think I'll be sending the motor back if I can. I ran it on my KV tester and its pulling about 2x the amps that it should. It also got hot in a hurry just on 7.4 volts. That wont fly with 8s.
Nice!

that sucks about the motor! Hopefully they will swap it.

So when can I get my tracking number ??
Still much more to do before ill have bodies ready to sell.
It is tempting to look into plastic vacuum molding. Most people don't want to pay 200-300 for a body. HOWEVER, if these prove to give you 10% more mph on a maxed out GT setup, that sort of performance gain is easily worth the price compared to LiPos, motors, ESC etc...

Still much more to do before ill have bodies ready to sell.
It is tempting to look into plastic vacuum molding. Most people don't want to pay 200-300 for a body. HOWEVER, if these prove to give you 10% more mph on a maxed out GT setup, that sort of performance gain is easily worth the price compared to LiPos, motors, ESC etc...
Price is just a number. Value is a construct. Build them and they will come. ??

Getting prepped for a run tomorrow. My run location is 1hr away in Oklahoma so I don't get to do this often :(

Mounted the GPS in a more accessible location. Screws onto the rear diff cover:
20200605_104838.jpg

Mounted the cap pack and installed BSR Purple foams. I have had bad traction in the past with foams so I am very nervous to run on them tomorrow...
20200605_112726.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back