Looking to get a gyro for my Big Papa long Rock build project.need some info plz

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well FWIW,
the GC301 and pretty much all gyros will work with any transmitter and receiver combo. I'm using a futaba radio myself. That being said,
I do not believe any of these servos (other than the GYC futabas) will have any significant advantage for speed running. These gyros are designed to correct/mititage an oversteer condition (which pretty much never occurs in speed running). If anything, if the sensitivity is set too high, then the wheels will oscillate/twitch at high speeds increasing the risk of a crash.

AFAIK, futabas are the only ones that have a setting to keep the car straight (I could be wrong so do you own DD). So if the application is for speed running, save your money and buy a futaba GYC or don't buy it at all. For bashing and oversteer correction, they're all pretty much the same and for drifting, I am told the futaba GYD series are the ones to get.
Ok .advice taken .since speed passes is all I do then I'll save my loot for the futaba gyc...thank you
So back to my question on my transmitter.should I be using it instead of the stock firma? I mean can't hurt since the flysky GT5 is alot better. but I heard the distance you get from these stock firma transmitter are better than most transmitters being sold..what should I do?

Holy crap $$$$269.00 oh boy .yeah I'm not in that league yet geez.😭

Oh cool so .yeah I have had mine for almost 3 years but only used it about 4 times when I finished building my 42"catamaran speed boat and never really got into knowing all the features it has. It did what I needed it to do which was stear and throttle.😁👍 .so exactly how would I be able to use it on my Big Papa long Rock? Do I still need a gyro?
Nope. Read the description of the GT5 again. That's the receiver.
1675355088096.png

Thank you @Diem Turner appreciate you bro👍😁 so just need to bind it to my esc?
Correct. Then activate AVC or whatever Flysky calls it and turn up the gain on the gyro. Go easy though. You don't want it doing a whole lot. Start around 15% and slowly creep it up. You'll know when you've gone too far when you can see the rear of the car swaying back and forth. This oscillation is commonly referred to as "death wobble". When you see it doing that, back the gain off by 2-3% and you should be good. If it still wobbles, go another 2%. Rinse, repeat.

Correct. Then activate AVC or whatever Flysky calls it and turn up the gain on the gyro. Go easy though. You don't want it doing a whole lot. Start around 15% and slowly creep it up. You'll know when you've gone too far when you can see the rear of the car swaying back and forth. This oscillation is commonly referred to as "death wobble". When you see it doing that, back the gain off by 2-3% and you should be good. If it still wobbles, go another 2%. Rinse, repeat.
Thank you .I appreciate your expertise and everyone's help.im a noob at this .this is a learning experience and I'm glad I have this forum with awesome people like your selves to help me through my build.im kind of excited now.so since my GT5 can program up to 20 models all's I would have to is just buy the same receiver right so I don't have to remove the one in my catamaran?
Which Futaba do you use? And which would you recommend for someone's first Futaba radio for street bashing and the occasional top-speed run?
Good question.id like to know also..but for now I'm gonna use my GT5 and see if it works well.hopefully the range is the same as the stock firma or better.
Quick question.is there some spec on transmitter s the say the distance range it can go to?
I hate binding things.i forgot how I did it last time.i think I went to my lhs and they did it for me.ik I have to follow a series of beeps but it's confusing.

Last edited:
Which Futaba do you use? And which would you recommend for someone's first Futaba radio for street bashing and the occasional top-speed run?
10px
futaba servos (a700, bls177, cb500)
gyc441 for hobao and limitless and gonna get gyc470 for the serpent
for speed running futabas should all be pretty much the same as far as range is concerned. I like the telemetry so that requires 7Px and up.
I had the 3pv which was ok but felt kinda cheap. Then I got the 4pm which was a lot nicer but tele options were limited so I ended up getting the 10px and I think it's great. It's the one thing that you actually touch when you're running your car so it's worth it to me to pay the extra price. All these racing modes (UR and SR) probably aren't necessary....

I prefer having the entire ecosystem so I'm running futaba everything. I sold a pro modeler recently and I went through all the advantages of using futaba servos. If cost is an issue, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it because futaba stuff is pricey, but it's worth it to me....
Ok .advice taken .since speed passes is all I do then I'll save my loot for the futaba gyc...thank you
So back to my question on my transmitter.should I be using it instead of the stock firma? I mean can't hurt since the flysky GT5 is alot better. but I heard the distance you get from these stock firma transmitter are better than most transmitters being sold..what should I do?
stock spektrum transmitter range is actually significantly inferior to most other radios. radio link probably has the best out of box range followed by futaba. I've measured 1300+ feet and still didn't exceed the range of my radio.

well FWIW,
the GC301 and pretty much all gyros will work with any transmitter and receiver combo. I'm using a futaba radio myself. That being said,
I do not believe any of these servos (other than the GYC futabas) will have any significant advantage for speed running. These gyros are designed to correct/mititage an oversteer condition (which pretty much never occurs in speed running). If anything, if the sensitivity is set too high, then the wheels will oscillate/twitch at high speeds increasing the risk of a crash.

AFAIK, futabas are the only ones that have a setting to keep the car straight (I could be wrong so do you own DD). So if the application is for speed running, save your money and buy a futaba GYC or don't buy it at all. For bashing and oversteer correction, they're all pretty much the same and for drifting, I am told the futaba GYD series are the ones to get.
This confuses me, so are you saying that the gyros don't help in a drag race setting? wouldn't drag and speed running be similar as far as the gyro is concerned? I ask because I'm sure the gyro on my radiolink definitely helps keep me straight when I take off in a straight line.

This confuses me, so are you saying that the gyros don't help in a drag race setting? wouldn't drag and speed running be similar as far as the gyro is concerned? I ask because I'm sure the gyro on my radiolink definitely helps keep me straight when I take off in a straight line.
I know I had experienced with RadioLink that above 80 mph the car would get the "death wobbles"
It was over-correcting when it didn't need to.

It didn't make me comfortable so I stopped using it. I plan to retry again now with the Futaba gyro because it is said to behave differently.

I don't know about drag racing so I can't comment. But what I can say is that a typical gyro is trying to correct an oversteer situation. So I suppose on a hard launch the rear of the car may fish tail so the gyro will correct the steering and try to keep it straight. In speed running traction isn't as much of an issue and the launches are less violent and for the most part, you're just trying to keep the car going in a straight line which is where the futaba gyros shine. If for example, the car hits a small pebble or a bump and the direction of the car is changed, the gyro will try to correct the steering to keep the same heading (straight). A typical gyro will try to keep the car going in the same direction of the wheels which may not be the original heading (straight).

I know I had experienced with RadioLink that above 80 mph the car would get the "death wobbles"
It was over-correcting when it didn't need to.

It didn't make me comfortable so I stopped using it. I plan to retry again now with the Futaba gyro because it is said to behave differently.
That also happens to me when I have the gain turned up too much. Now when I use it,, it's between 13-20% and that seems to work well.

I don't think it would have ended well for me it I tried to do this without the gyro. That road has so many dips, cracks and potholes that my limitless and felonies can't even roll down the street correctly :ROFLMAO: I can't even imagine what that futaba gyro is like. Must be really nice as the radiolink one has worked really well for me and I'm sure it's cheap af.
I don't know about drag racing so I can't comment. But what I can say is that a typical gyro is trying to correct an oversteer situation. So I suppose on a hard launch the rear of the car may fish tail so the gyro will correct the steering and try to keep it straight. In speed running traction isn't as much of an issue and the launches are less violent and for the most part, you're just trying to keep the car going in a straight line which is where the futaba gyros shine. If for example, the car hits a small pebble or a bump and the direction of the car is changed, the gyro will try to correct the steering to keep the same heading (straight). A typical gyro will try to keep the car going in the same direction of the wheels which may not be the original heading (straight).
Makes sense! especially on a flat perfect road which you should be trying to run on anyway :ROFLMAO:

That also happens to me when I have the gain turned up too much. Now when I use it,, it's between 13-20% and that seems to work well.

I don't think it would have ended well for me it I tried to do this without the gyro. That road has so many dips, cracks and potholes that my limitless and felonies can't even roll down the street correctly :ROFLMAO: I can't even imagine what that futaba gyro is like. Must be really nice as the radiolink one has worked really well for me and I'm sure it's cheap af.

Makes sense! especially on a flat perfect road which you should be trying to run on anyway :ROFLMAO:
I imagine the RadioLink may have worked out had I tried adjusting the turning on it more.
At this point, my rig has $2,000-3,000 value flying down the road at 140+ mph and I'll be running the Futaba in it LOL

You can see the gyro's work. But you do need to play with them. Too little is a waste. Too much will cause just as much of a disaster. I also suspect that it hastened the demise of the weak factory steering servo.

You can see the gyro's work. But you do need to play with them. Too little is a waste. Too much will cause just as much of a disaster. I also suspect that it hastened the demise of the weak factory steering servo.
My stock servo was upgraded the 3rd week of having my Big Rock.and I'm going to using my FS GT5 transmitter..it has gyro function and it's pretty much bran new since I only used it a few times on my catamaran speed build .I'll try it out should be ok .. reviews on this transmitter are very good .. probably just as good as the radio link ..reviews on both transmitters are about equal.lets see what happens.👍

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back