Kraton MAX5 G2 Delay/Cogging Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harith7oe

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I'm about to hit that buy button on the Max 5 G2, but I've been hearing a bunch of complaints about this cogging or delay thing when you pair it with a sensorless motor. Is that really a problem? I also stumbled on some info that Hobbywing (HW) is cooking up a firmware update to fix this hiccup. Right now, I'm on a pretty tight budget, so I'm not thrilled about shelling out extra cash just to make that sensored 800kv motor fit. Plus, I've already got the G1 800kv motor just sitting there, so I'd rather not spend more money on a new one. What's your take on this?

Some people have a delay problem and some people don't. I don't think the motor being sensorless is the cause. I have 3 max 5 g2 systems and only 1 is sensored. I don't notice a delay on any of them. The cogging is most likely amp limiting and if you lower the punch it will go away. I can't put my punch above 7 and on my kraton 12s I can't even go above 6 or it will "cog" geared 36/39. I also notice this on my max 8 g2 as well.

Sell the G1 motor and get a Max 6 G2/5690 combo.
Smart move. Imma sell the G1 and get the max5 g2 and pair it with 5690 G2.
Some people have a delay problem and some people don't. I don't think the motor being sensorless is the cause. I have 3 max 5 g2 systems and only 1 is sensored. I don't notice a delay on any of them. The cogging is most likely amp limiting and if you lower the punch it will go away. I can't put my punch above 7 and on my kraton 12s I can't even go above 6 or it will "cog" geared 36/39. I also notice this on my max 8 g2 as well.
I will proceed with the Max5 G2 and try running it using the G1 800kv motor. If the cogging is unbearable, I will sell the 800kv motor and switch to the 5690 G2, running it in a sensored configuration instead. Thanks for the input boss

Smart move. Imma sell the G1 and get the max5 g2 and pair it with 5690 G2.

I will proceed with the Max5 G2 and try running it using the G1 800kv motor. If the cogging is unbearable, I will sell the 800kv motor and switch to the 5690 G2, running it in a sensored configuration instead. Thanks for the input boss
You won't have any issues as long as you don't max out the punch while geared too high. :cool: (y)

Yeah were talking about the same kind of amp limits G1 had just with a change of how its presenting. Raz shifrin pointed out 3 years ago that Max ESC have current limiting safe guards. This is all ways going to lead to less problems on more Voltage. Just remember that when picking out the ESC motor combo your setting up. As 12S 800KV will be a lot less of a problem then 8S 800KV as same KV lower volt would run more amps all ells the same.

Yeah were talking about the same kind of amp limits G1 had just with a change of how its presenting. Raz shifrin pointed out 3 years ago that Max ESC have current limiting safe guards. This is all ways going to lead to less problems on more Voltage. Just remember that when picking out the ESC motor combo your setting up. As 12S 800KV will be a lot less of a problem then 8S 800KV as same KV lower volt would run more amps all ells the same.
I recall reading something similar before, confirming what you just mentioned about the benefits of using a 12s LiPo over an 8s, as it's supposed to be kinder to the electronics. Do you happen to know the reason behind this? Also, for the 12s setup, should the gearing be slightly lower compared to the 8s configuration?

Regarding the Max5 G2, I'm excited about it because it supports 12s, which the older G1 version couldn't handle. If using a 12s setup with an 800kv motor is significantly gentler to an 8s setup, I'm more inclined to go for the 12s configuration.

I had an Xrt with Max5g2 and hw1100kv. Driving on the ground went very well, but when you had to jump and correct the car there was a hopeless delay. Sold it...!

Now I have bought a new Max5g2 with 5690 1250kv which I will have in K8exb. Hoping for better experience with the sensor, if not this will also be sold.

Hoping for a firmware upgrade soon..

I recall reading something similar before, confirming what you just mentioned about the benefits of using a 12s LiPo over an 8s, as it's supposed to be kinder to the electronics. Do you happen to know the reason behind this? Also, for the 12s setup, should the gearing be slightly lower compared to the 8s configuration?

Regarding the Max5 G2, I'm excited about it because it supports 12s, which the older G1 version couldn't handle. If using a 12s setup with an 800kv motor is significantly gentler to an 8s setup, I'm more inclined to go for the 12s configuration.
Current and heat are what kill our electronics current is amps. Now me say what I know as facts. When we know a motor is at the same KV running same gearing same load will be at more volts on more S so the motor will draw less amps. Volts x amps is watts. The motor is going to pull the same wattage POWER you are just feeding it more volts and less amps/current. so less heat.

That being said I have a max5 G2 running 6-8S and hopping they bring out a firmware update for this. Because the car will not fit more then 8S in it.

For gearing you don't have to change it just remember motor will have more RPM on more volts so with same gearing you will see higher top speeds. Were still going to see same torque per amp as our KV has not changed.

Last edited:
I asked HW when Max5g2 will get an update to fix the delay issue..

🤷🏼‍♂️🤦‍♂️😔

Screenshot_20231103_060221_Gmail.jpg

I asked HW when Max5g2 will get an update to fix the delay issue..

🤷🏼‍♂️🤦‍♂️😔

View attachment 329845
Nah, that's sounds more like an excuse.
So I just recently installed max5 g2 in my xmaxx with 980kv motor (not sensored). I did notice very slight cogging (from stand still) on 8s, geared 30/50. I know that motor isn't rated for 12s but I'm going to try it anyway just to see if that will fix the cogging issue. If that fixes it then we might have an answer (just run it on 12s with an appropriate motor kv).

Last edited:
Nah, that's sounds more like an excuse.
So I just recently installed max5 g2 in my xmaxx with 980kv motor (not sensored). I did notice very slight cogging (from stand still) on 8s, geared 30/50. I know that motor isn't rated for 12s but I'm going to try it anyway just to see if that will fix the cogging issue. If that fixes it then we might have an answer (just run it on 12s with an appropriate motor kv).

Yes, totally agree. And why doesn't Max5 v1 (and Castle mmx8s) have these problems with delay on the same gearing and the same qs8..

Disappointing 😔

Instead of throwing 16 more volts at an ESC and especially motor not designed to run 50VDC… Why don’t you guys pick up a couple cheap 5S packs to trial and then reevaluate the need for a 30lb RC expecting it to perform like one half or 1/4 the weight?

Driving on the ground went very well, but when you had to jump and correct the car there was a hopeless delay.
This ⬆️ and I'm not happy about it. I would have just stuck with the V1 if I knew this sht was happening!

Last edited:
So There trying to say that the QS8 im using need to be bigger connectors. My tested good CNHL and SMC batteries are week or. My 1-7 scale talion XL is to much load for it at a 24T pinion with a 50T spur lower load then I was using on the 2050KV firma.

Right hobby wing then your max 5 G2 can not handle what the firma 150 did. Instead of trying to fix it. Its the user fault is what that post feels like. Again only at full punch with there G2 5690 1250kv. Running at 6S I'm am getting amp limits. Not as many on 8S but I 1 don't need the RPM or want the weight in the car. At this point with that kind of response get your self and XLX2 at least castle will own up to some of them having a problem.

Really curious why some have delay and some don't. Yall got me feeling lucky 🤣 😱

Cut your cell count as low as you can go for your ESC or motor in most cases that will be 6S on the max 5 and turn punch all the way up. If you don't see it then your one of the lucky ones. If this causes it up your cell count. I get it in my talion XL on 6s but not as bad when running 8S, Only happens with punch maxed how ever. Not speed running might see it happen there as well but don't have a speed run car to confirm with. Mind you its a 25+ pounds car with 3.8 trenchers 27/50 gearing on it there is a lot of load here.
But if I'm reproducing it in a 1/7 scale care can only be more of a problem in larger scales with more load that need more amps to get moving. Most of the stuttering I see is at peak amp draw not moving full throttle. I will be getting and OTA for it soon all ready ordered it. Going to see if I can get some logs of it doing it to upload.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back