Mirage tires for Mojave

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're here!! 2 days, 99 cent shipping! Yahoo!! Just installed them, waiting on a battery to finish charging to try them.
Initial thoughts, they're nice and soft. Sidewalls feel thinner than stock. They're definitely narrower than the Fortress.

20230922_143035.jpg

20230922_143044.jpg

20230922_143107.jpg

20230922_143012.jpg

20230922_143022.jpg

Lemme know how they balance and how much clay you need to use to get them balanced. They look sharp!

s
Well, I would, but uh, I don't balance my wheels. They do spin quite smoothly on the bench though seem more "true" than the Fortress's. I ran almost through a 5200 pack. They are smooth for sure, less rolling resistance than stock. Turn in is nice and sharp, traction rolled on my clay track several times. Forward bite is really strong on the cleaner areas, actually pulled the front wheels several times. Keep in mind this is a Kraton chassis with Mojo arms, suspension.. I'm really digging them so far.

20230922_161017.jpg

20230922_161024.jpg

Excellent. I bet they will continue to do well on that surface. There is a step on the lug's leading edge and that helps quite a bit, but I'm not surprised it's there. PL tends to design pretty good tires.

No worries on the balance. I'm sure most people don't fool with it. It just appeals to my need for balance and uniformity.

s

Excellent. I bet they will continue to do well on that surface. There is a step on the lug's leading edge and that helps quite a bit, but I'm not surprised it's there. PL tends to design pretty good tires.

No worries on the balance. I'm sure most people don't fool with it. It just appeals to my need for balance and uniformity.

s
I know balancing is the best practice, I've gotten lazy over the years,LOL. I see the MT tires as the most important to balance as the larger the diameter, the more violent the shake. These Mirage's do spin very smoothly right out of the package. Gluing looks good too.

I know balancing is the best practice, I've gotten lazy over the years,LOL. I see the MT tires as the most important to balance as the larger the diameter, the more violent the shake. These Mirage's do spin very smoothly right out of the package. Gluing looks good too.
No worries. I'll put them on my setup when they arrive and see what I get. I'm sure it varies from tire to tire, so it's just a single data point.

s

I’ve steadfastly stayed with the Fortresses after trying Trenchers (hate, hate, hate) but I think I’ll give these Mirage tires a go. I’ve been waiting for a properly sized replacement for the MOJO.

These Mirage tires have convinced me to get my Mojo back, pun intended. I had a good session with my bro racing around our little clay track last Saturday. These things really hook up on the clay, almost too good as I can't keep my "Typhon XL" from traction rolling with them. He was running an E Revo on TRX Response Pro mini pin tires. Apples to oranges basically but, when I was running the Fortress tires I could hang with him, they are much more forgiving in the turns which actually helps keep turning speeds up on the Mojo width Kraton (Typhon XL). Plus, I really just miss the old girl (Mojave). Life hasn't been the same without it. I will tear both trucks down and go back to KEXB and MEXB. Although I am going to put Mojo front hubs and stubs on the Kraton to try and get better steering response from it.

I miss that guy! I always appreciated Mike Myers sense of humor.
As to the Typhon XL, it is a fun rig but, neither basher nor racer as it turns out.. I guess the same could be said of the TC Asuga which is dimensionally identical to the Typhon XL. Needs to be widened out a tad to be more stable for racing I think, which would also benefit a Mojave just the same. Unfortunately the Mojo loses it's good looks for me when the tires are hanging out of the wheel wells.. oh well, sounds like I need to talk my brother into buying a UDR to race against my Mojo with!?🤣🤣 I've tried before.. think he's finally seen the light regarding TRX as a whole..by which I mean, yes, they have some good products, but also charge alot more than what they're truly worth. Add proprietary crap and well, not much of a buy IMO.

I miss that guy! I always appreciated Mike Myers sense of humor.
As to the Typhon XL, it is a fun rig but, neither basher nor racer as it turns out.. I guess the same could be said of the TC Asuga which is dimensionally identical to the Typhon XL. Needs to be widened out a tad to be more stable for racing I think, which would also benefit a Mojave just the same. Unfortunately the Mojo loses it's good looks for me when the tires are hanging out of the wheel wells.. oh well, sounds like I need to talk my brother into buying a UDR to race against my Mojo with!?🤣🤣 I've tried before.. think he's finally seen the light regarding TRX as a whole..by which I mean, yes, they have some good products, but also charge alot more than what they're truly worth. Add proprietary crap and well, not much of a buy IMO.

Really don’t understand what the big fuss is about Traxxas making splined wheels and different battery connectors. I’m much more annoyed about Arrma sending 23T servo horns with their rollers.

And a Mojave vs a UDR isn’t a fair comparison. A UDR is in a completely different class than a Mojave. Of course the Mojave is going to handle better because it’s the exact same as all the other Arrma rigs but with a desert truck body. That’s where the similarities between a Mojave and UDR end.

And overpriced? The Fireteam didn’t sell until they cut the price in half.

Really don’t understand what the big fuss is about Traxxas making splined wheels and different battery connectors. I’m much more annoyed about Arrma sending 23T servo horns with their rollers.

And a Mojave vs a UDR isn’t a fair comparison. A UDR is in a completely different class than a Mojave. Of course the Mojave is going to handle better because it’s the exact same as all the other Arrma rigs but with a desert truck body. That’s where the similarities between a Mojave and UDR end.

And overpriced? The Fireteam didn’t sell until they cut the price in half.
I agree, the 23t servo is a sham. Weird that both of my exbs came through with 25t servo horns, likely old stock, IDK. The FT at $700 was a joke IMO from release, as is the rtr TLR Typhon.. I wasn't trying to waive an Arrma flag by any means, there's plenty to gripe about there too. O8S bttery tray size, steering rack..
There's some annoying things about any brand I know. With the TRX 8s we have a proprietary servo and mount, motor and mount. Thread pitch on stub axles/wheel nuts, though not proprietary, different from the rest of the world for reasons only God and Mike Jenkins knows why,LOL.
How about those beefcake TRX 8s wheels? More like cheesecake..
As to the UDR vs Mojave, only a purist would choose a UDR over the Mojave IMO. The Mojo is just so much easier and more capable to drive fast, work on, ect.. it looks the part without all the drawbacks that come from a solid axle caged truck. Just my opinions brother. We can disagree and I'll still love your wicked builds.😎🍻

I agree, the 23t servo is a sham. Weird that both of my exbs came through with 25t servo horns, likely old stock, IDK. The FT at $700 was a joke IMO from release, as is the rtr TLR Typhon.. I wasn't trying to waive an Arrma flag by any means, there's plenty to gripe about there too. O8S bttery tray size, steering rack..
There's some annoying things about any brand I know. With the TRX 8s we have a proprietary servo and mount, motor and mount. Thread pitch on stub axles/wheel nuts, though not proprietary, different from the rest of the world for reasons only God and Mike Jenkins knows why,LOL.
How about those beefcake TRX 8s wheels? More like cheesecake..
As to the UDR vs Mojave, only a purist would choose a UDR over the Mojave IMO. The Mojo is just so much easier and more capable to drive fast, work on, ect.. it looks the part without all the drawbacks that come from a solid axle caged truck. Just my opinions brother. We can disagree and I'll still love your wicked builds.😎🍻

I wouldn’t really consider the servo or mount proprietary. They offer the pieces to put a normal servo in.

Motor mount, I would say that’s just more how they designed the X-Maxx, trying to keep it light with less steel.

I love my X-Maxx wheels so not sure what to say in response to that. Truthfully I don’t think Traxxas designed the splines on their wheels to keep people from using them for other purposes. If they can sell a set of tires, I don’t think they care what they go on.

And of course the Mojave beats the UDR in all those categories, the UDR was built to be a scale experience. The Mojave was built to “look” the part. Have your brother stretch his Sledge and throw a UDR body on it and then it’d be a fair comparison to a Mojave.

I enjoy good banter, but I can’t stand the Mojave VS UDR debate, or the thought that Arrma isn’t in the business to make money the same as Traxxas.

I wouldn’t really consider the servo or mount proprietary. They offer the pieces to put a normal servo in.

Motor mount, I would say that’s just more how they designed the X-Maxx, trying to keep it light with less steel.

I love my X-Maxx wheels so not sure what to say in response to that. Truthfully I don’t think Traxxas designed the splines on their wheels to keep people from using them for other purposes. If they can sell a set of tires, I don’t think they care what they go on.

And of course the Mojave beats the UDR in all those categories, the UDR was built to be a scale experience. The Mojave was built to “look” the part. Have your brother stretch his Sledge and throw a UDR body on it and then it’d be a fair comparison to a Mojave.

I enjoy good banter, but I can’t stand the Mojave VS UDR debate, or the thought that Arrma isn’t in the business to make money the same as Traxxas.
Okay, I concede. You have made valid points. TRX did indeed release an adapter for the servo, and in all honesty, I can appreciate the fact that the TRX 8s motor mount supports the motor at both ends. Not a fan of the pins adjustment system, but the alternative is quite awkward. Trying to hold the motor from the top while tightening screws through the bottom is frustrating.
The Jackhammer vs Mojo is as unfair as Mojo vs UDR ( more actually).. UDR is a good rig for scale appearance and performance I agree. Thankfully there's the Mojave for actual fun. I really don't understand folks who have an affliction for scale, if our rc's performed like 1:1 vehicles, we'd be running around with 15mph Mojo's and UDR's, LOL.
As for the TRX 8s wheels, man, I can't believe they survive as long as they do, which isn't long in our stables..ever see an Arrma 8s BF wheel compared to a TRX? I gots to take some pics and throw them on the scale.. it's crazy the difference. Of course the Arrma 8s does need more due to weight but man TRX straight cheesy with the wheels!

Okay, I concede. You have made valid points. TRX did indeed release an adapter for the servo, and in all honesty, I can appreciate the fact that the TRX 8s motor mount supports the motor at both ends. Not a fan of the pins adjustment system, but the alternative is quite awkward. Trying to hold the motor from the top while tightening screws through the bottom is frustrating.
The Jackhammer vs Mojo is as unfair as Mojo vs UDR ( more actually).. UDR is a good rig for scale appearance and performance I agree. Thankfully there's the Mojave for actual fun. I really don't understand folks who have an affliction for scale, if our rc's performed like 1:1 vehicles, we'd be running around with 15mph Mojo's and UDR's, LOL.
As for the TRX 8s wheels, man, I can't believe they survive as long as they do, which isn't long in our stables..ever see an Arrma 8s BF wheel compared to a TRX? I gots to take some pics and throw them on the scale.. it's crazy the difference. Of course the Arrma 8s does need more due to weight but man TRX straight cheesy with the wheels!

I saw you were ditching the pin system and trying to set mesh without it and was like “man that sounds worse than the pin system” lol.

When I said slap a UDR body on a jackhammer, I forgot about the wider arms. That kind of kills that experiment. It does sound like a fun build though.

I want to get into the scale thing as far as the hobby goes, but I just don’t really get it either. I don’t have time to go out in the woods and try to pick lines and crawl over tree limbs. If I have time to go play, I’m gonna bash.

I’ve got three sets of the 8s Backflip wheels. Not saying there is anything wrong with them, but I do like the stock X-Maxx wheels.

I saw you were ditching the pin system and trying to set mesh without it and was like “man that sounds worse than the pin system” lol.

When I said slap a UDR body on a jackhammer, I forgot about the wider arms. That kind of kills that experiment. It does sound like a fun build though.

I want to get into the scale thing as far as the hobby goes, but I just don’t really get it either. I don’t have time to go out in the woods and try to pick lines and crawl over tree limbs. If I have time to go play, I’m gonna bash.

I’ve got three sets of the 8s Backflip wheels. Not saying there is anything wrong with them, but I do like the stock X-Maxx wheels.
LOL, yeah I was frustrated as the pin sstem just doesn't provide a good mesh for me. I swapped on some DTX 1/5 SC wheels which are only like 7.5 inch, so I put the TRX 46t spur on and just couldn't get a good mesh with the pins, so I ditched them. All good, perfect mesh by freehand..until I went back to 8 inch BF's. Motor didn't like, 200+f.. I tried "freehanding it" without pins on 20/50 but mesh was too tight. I think I dished the screw holes in the chassis and the motor keeps going back to that spot? So, dug out the pins, new washers on the mount screws..still too tight🤷‍♂️ I just let it eat, sounds terrible, gear cover hitting 170!!🤣🤣 It's getting there, a few more grams shaved off the gears and it'll be "just right"!! 😉🤪🍻

I think the closest I‘m ever getting to get to “scale” in an off-road rig is my DBXLE.
I would like to try a UDR, I think they’re groovy as hell, but I don’t think I would ever buy one. But I do like the appeal of a solid rear axle desert rig.
And I do like a good SCT, and my Mojave definitely scratches that itch better than any others I’ve ever had for sure. And I want to try those Mirage tires on it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back