Kraton My Build, Kraton 12s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chicago area. It was a stool cart kit BUT it took lots of extra work. They always say its a fit together and drive kit but that's not how it worked. Had to get 2-1/2 inch aluminum stock, measure, cut, drill to fit under the 212 pred engine in there using the torque converter, grind and smooth out the bottom of the TC to clear the frame, ordered new bars, grips, doughnuts for the grips, throttle and cable, drilling new holes in brake brackets to make it work, MIG weld the front steering column, grind down, rust proof spray bed liner on welds ETC.. Just lots of the extra nonsense to make it work. Kinda like RC.. It's got 2-1/2 inch solid stainless steel shaft, will wheelie my 6-1 220lb butt down the road.

On to the 8S, took the rear end off, took the rear diff out, cleaned out all the bearings, added speed cream (you boarders know what that is) added my lightning grease to the ring and pinion, put back together. What a huge difference in the way it sounds spinning the gears after that! On to the rest of the bearings today. Diffs and fluids will come once I figure out what mill and ESC I'm going to install and depending on where/how its unloading after that.

I'm not in love with the ride height or re-bound either in 70 degree temps, I might pull the shocks off and experiment with different springs, oil and pistons once available. (EDIT: You must put your batteries in the truck before adjusting ride height) Spring pre-load all the way out is still too high for me. Might even drill an extra hole in the piston and go heavier oil depending on rebound/ride height. I'll be setting this up as close as I can to my old 1/8th Truggy set up sheets. Setting up for race tracks you want your bones flush with the ground or just a tad under. Bones are stronger flush and wont tear up your cups as fast. Will I be racing it? NO. Will I be bashing it and pulling/kicking huge rocks off jumps with it, most likely not. Just going to tear through grass I don't own. Balancing the wheels will get done too.. (I have a wheel balancer I used to balance the bar stool cart wheels) what a HUGE difference that made let me tell ya! My 10th and 1/8 balancer is WAY too small for 8S wheels..
Chicago is to far.., looked sweet. Your going to like the Kraton, I agree you want you bones flush. Congratulations on the RC and now we all know you aren't a troll... ????????

I changed the title of my thread, might as well make it my build thread. If I help anyone make a decision that's great. If not that's great too. I decided to go with the S9020 as previously mentioned and will try it out at 7.4, specks say It will give me 910oz which is about 330oz higher than the stock S905. If I need more, an external BEC @ 8.4 and 1050oz should suffice. I ordered the Beast Pro 300A ESC (BEC is 7.4), I figure I can try out different motor KV's and gearing without having to upgrade the ESC. Have the M2C mount and bracket on order. Didn't order the chassis, not sure If I'm going to yet. I'll be updating my thread as I get parts with pics.

So far:
Truck $799 got a deal from my LHS guy
M2C about $100, ordered the 5mm bracket too
ESC about $300 with the program card and shipping
EDIT: Servo $169 got deal LHS guy
Motors:
Pinions:
RPM plastic:
Wish Proline made 1/5 light weight Truggy rim and tire pre-mounts.
RX, Futaba 4PM own already.

Probably wont see me posting much other than in my thread. I might make nice comments but it looks like one must accrue post count status vs. experience (new or old) before making suggestive contributions. Don't want to create any hurt-butt. PEACE! ✌

Last edited:
While I'm waiting on parts, got me thinkin....:unsure:

IMG_0906.jpg
IMG_0907.jpg

Got some more parts.. While I'm waiting on the CC 2028, I ordered a HW 56113, see If I can blow it up on 12s with that beast pro once it gets here..

View attachment 61851
Will that 57113 fit with the M2C mount? I guess on 12S you won’t need as large of a pinion. ??‍♂️

Got my servo tray, motor, a few batteries that still need deans plugs. I don't know how some of you can still use those newer plugs, too cumbersome. Maybe they are better at repelling water? Meh, not my cup of tea. Cant wait to throw that beast pro at it! :)

No room left to go..

IMG_0918.jpg

IMG_0919.jpg

The bell crank barely clears the back of the can. The motor is hitting the chassis guard but still fits with it all the way out for a 30T.

IMG_0917.jpg

That motor is stooooped! Almost as big as a 6000mah 6s pack..

Way more amp capacity. Deans are highly restrictive.

I did not know or realize that was a thing.. No clue... Makes sense! Did some reading. Thanks! I was on my way to Deans because I already have a series connector made in Deans and many Deans plugs in my box. Have 0 of these new things.

The beast pro already have problems running 12s, but if you're using deans with it then you might end up in a pretty bad situation when they melt ?
They have been updated and "beefed up", same with the re-branded Hobbystar 300amp. The new gen have been out since early new year. There were none available anywhere before Christmas because of this

They have been updated and "beefed up", same with the re-branded Hobbystar 300amp. The new gen have been out since early new year. There were none available anywhere before Christmas because of this
I know & I have 2 of them - neither destined for the Kraton yet but I might experiment when the season turns over.

I know & I have 2 of them - neither destined for the Kraton yet but I might experiment when the season turns over.
I think the problems with the old ones was because of people trying to run to high kv on 12S, including that huge 70120 620kv motor. I ran the ZTW in a Kraken Vekta5 with a Leopard 58113 530kv and it had no problems running that, only got warm, same with the motor.

What are yours destined for??

The beast pro already have problems running 12s, but if you're using deans with it then you might end up in a pretty bad situation when they melt ?

Yes, after being schooled on connectors I did some more reading and ordered proper stuff.

Where did you order the new ones from? I couldn't find anyone with it in stock. Had to order from my old pals in China who seem to be back ordered too. Not getting mine anytime soon which is fine by me, weather is still bad anyway.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back