My Kraton 6s receiver went up in smoke.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Hey guys.
Today I was going to take my Kraton out for a spin and the motor fan started acting a little funny but I assumed it was due to the cold. Then all of the sudden I didn't have any control and it seemed to shut off. Then randomly it tried to take off wide open. Really was quite a scare and so I quickly got the shell off and thought the ESC was gonna blow up. So brought it back inside and riped the receiver box lid off and the smell of burnt electronics hit me. Not sure exactly what caused this?

Most likely your fan had a short and that will fry the receiver, you are lucky that the ESC didn't blow up.
All your symptoms point to an initial brown out due to overcurrent going to the fan.
Note to self, if the fan acts weird, don't run with it.

Ignore the typical 'xy' is junk', fast and wrong analysis ;)
Has nothing to do with anything, based on your description.

This is the receiver and transmitter that I was using.

IMG_20220204_153146149.jpg

IMG_20220204_153255726.jpg

This was a flysky receiver....
And what ESC was it?
A bad ESC BEC circuit can cause a Rx and even a Servo to fry. Power voltage regulator of the ESC's are known to go over voltage.
One possible cause.
Rx's can fail. I just never had that happen.

And what ESC was it?
A bad ESC BEC circuit can cause a Rx and even a Servo to fry. Power voltage regulator of the ESC's are known to go over voltage.
One possible cause.
Rx's can fail. I just never had that happen.
The ESC is a BLX 185. Please take a look at these pictures of what it had been doing before the receiver got fried.

IMG-20220129-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20220129-WA0000.jpg

The green light is with the switch off and battery disconnected. Red light was like that on the startup.
@SrC

I see water there................Maybe the RX even got wet also. A possibility. Green Light is an ESC Thermal cut, if that is what you mean.:unsure:
I only run my Crawlers in the wet stuff.
But I use Silicone Conformal coating on the Rx PCB's. Been lucky so far.
But Crap happens.
The ESC is a BLX 185. Please take a look at these pictures of what it had been doing before the receiver got fried.

View attachment 197846

View attachment 197848
The green light is with the switch off and battery disconnected. Red light was like that on the startup.
@SrC
Switch OFF and Lipo Disconnected, there should be NO light.
ESC Caps hold some voltage by themselves, but not for more than a split second with everything Off/ Unplugged.
That is some vintage Radio there.:)
Consider buying a RC4GS, Comes with a Rx anyway.
Start over fresh with an upgrade radio.

Last edited:
I see water there................Maybe the RX even got wet also. A possibility. Green Light is an ESC Thermal cut, if that is what you mean.:unsure:
I only run my Crawlers in the wet stuff.
But I use Silicone Conformal coating on the Rx PCB's. Been lucky so far.
But Crap happens.

Switch OFF and Lipo Disconnected, there should be NO light.
ESC Caps hold some voltage by themselves, but not for more than a split second with everything Off/ Unplugged.
That is some vintage Radio there.:)
Consider buying a RC4GS, Comes with a Rx anyway.
Start over fresh with an upgrade radio.
The green light would stay on for quite some time after the battery was unplugged and switch was off. @SrC
Should I be concerned?

Most likely your fan had a short and that will fry the receiver, you are lucky that the ESC didn't blow up.
All your symptoms point to an initial brown out due to overcurrent going to the fan.
Note to self, if the fan acts weird, don't run with it.

Ignore the typical 'xy' is junk', fast and wrong analysis ;)
Has nothing to do with anything, based on your description.
At this point in trying to figure out what all needs replaced. Obviously the fried receiver and motor fan. What about my ESC? @SrC guess I'll have to make some serious front mudguards and side guards to keep all the snow and crap outside. All this help is appreciated 👍.

I know, me too haa!!
Quick question, after u were done did you blow off the rig with an air compressor!? Also did this happen during ur run or when u were done or like the next day?
It happened the day after the ESC photo. If I am able to I always use a heat gun to dry the Kraton out before l put it away.

A surge in current or a short can easily take out a receiver. I once had a Traxxas shift servo that fried itself, and when it did, it took out that channel on my FlySky receiver.
It happened the day after the ESC photo. If I am able to I always use a heat gun to dry the Kraton out before l put it away.
If your receiver is in a receiver box, your heat gun may not have been able to dry it out. Before you operate in wet conditions again with a new receiver, I suggest you coat it with conformal coating to prevent water damage.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back