My Kraton 6s receiver went up in smoke.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Motor fan and receiver is my guess as well.
As always, once you change receiver, you have to do the bind and throttle range adjust as others suggested as well.
ESC should be fine.

Should be fine, another fan or a multimeter will work.
You can't cause any more damage but I doubt that there is any damage.
ESC will just bog down under max Amps and your'fuse' aka receiver took care of the rest.

You can move the ESC fan plug and give it a try, actually, if the ESC fan is running you already know everything is ok. They are running on the same voltage rail AFAIK.

Should be fine, another fan or a multimeter will work.
You can't cause any more damage but I doubt that there is any damage.
ESC will just bog down under max Amps and your'fuse' aka receiver took care of the rest.

You can move the ESC fan plug and give it a try, actually, if the ESC fan is running you already know everything is ok. They are running on the same voltage rail AFAIK.
Ok will do. I don't have any fans to try and see if it's ok but the motor fan was plugged into the receiver and the ESC didn't have a fan running on it. I'll try a multimeter.

It happened the day after the ESC photo. If I am able to I always use a heat gun to dry the Kraton out before l put it away.
I use a Shop Vac first to Suck out as much or most water. Compressed air will blow off water in most areas, BUT will also blow water INTO the ESC, Rx box, Motors and BB's, depending how aggressive you are. The very opposite of what you want with the electrics. Use compressed air after you use the Shop Vac. Focusing mostly on ESC and all the electrics with the Shop Vac.
Shop Vac with a narrow tip is best. I do this with my Crawlers. My other RC rigs never see wet stuff at all.
The trick is to remove water and moisture as soon as possible after you are done.
Even left for an hour or more and corrosion starts.

Last edited:
A surge in current or a short can easily take out a receiver. I once had a Traxxas shift servo that fried itself, and when it did, it took out that channel on my FlySky receiver.

If your receiver is in a receiver box, your heat gun may not have been able to dry it out. Before you operate in wet conditions again with a new receiver, I suggest you coat it with conformal coating to prevent water damage.
+1.
A heat gun doesn't really do anything except accelerate the corrosion process if anything at all, with electrical joints that become wet.. Water removal, not evaporation from heat is best IMHO. I could be splitting hairs on this. Just my spin.

Last edited:
I feel like such a idiot because in the process of trying to check the BEC voltage with a multimeter I managed to touch the + & - pins and the ESC sparked and now starts clicking rapidly. This electrical stuff really isn't going well and now I'm sure I damaged my ESC.....

OH, oh, you let out the magic smoke.
There is a specific amount of smoke as part of any electronic design, once you let out a tiny bit it will no longer work as designed.

That is just a fact of nature, electronics all run on magic smoke.

Is there a way I can check my ESC BEC voltage or will it damage the ESC if I'm giving it power but it's not plugged into anything else?
Use a DVM, isolating the ESC from the Rx and servo. Connect the lipo to the ESC, Switch On, and Test the voltage at the ESC fan port of the ESC for proper BEC voltage.

Last edited:
Use a DVM, isolating the ESC from the Rx and servo. Connect the lipo to the ESC turn on and Test the voltage at the ESC fan port of the ESC for proper BEC voltage.
Yeah I tried that and touched the positive and negative pins and it sparked and now has a clicking that is rapidly speeding up...

If you did that correctly, tested correct polarities/pins of the fan port, ( with ESC fan unplugged) the ESC has BEC a problem. And most likely fried the Rx in the process.
What exactly is clicking and where is it coming from????

NO room for error here. At least you understand it now.:LOL:.
BEC circuit is delicate. Maybe it is still ok?? Pray.
Try it again, ever so carefully. Look for a 6v readout. Or whatever you have the BEC volts setting at. This is straight forward. You either have good voltage or do not. This is how you test BEC output at the ESC.
Nothing to lose at this juncture.

NO room for error here. At least you understand it now.:LOL:.
BEC circuit is delicate. Maybe it is still ok?? Pray.
Try it again, ever so carefully. Look for a 6v readout. Or whatever you have the BEC volts setting at. This is straight forward. You either have good voltage or do not. This is how you test BEC output at the ESC.
Nothing to lose at this juncture.
I hope so. I'm almost positive that the ESC is now fried and I don't know what to expect if it goes up in smoke... Will the lipo be ok?

If u cross phased them, and it blew a lil smoke.. yea sorry bro u killed it!! Lipo should be fine!? Get ahold of HH and tell them your sheet went up in smoke when u touched the +-!!

If u cross phased them, and it blew a lil smoke.. yea sorry bro u killed it!! Lipo should be fine!? Get ahold of HH and tell them your sheet went up in smoke when u touched the +-!!
Please read the above posts and I got this ESC from outside of horizon. Meaning it doesn't have a warranty and besides it would be my fault.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back