Kraton My teeth keep getting sharp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snug the motor mount screws, power on the car with wheels suspended, tap the motor mount as tight as it'll go before it screams. That's your ideal mesh without dial indicator backlash measurements.

Paper is good for starts. But always wise to check a 360 turn of the largest gear

Absolutely… I have many toys with gears, chains, sprockets….. they all need to be checked 360*… i usually set the mesh in the tight spot then check 360+…

I forget my “common knowledge” isn’t everyone else’s "common knowledge"…. Thank you for the add…

Might want to check. My Max6 1650kV had an issue with the front motor bearing. It actually came loose in the cover and rounded it out a little which made it wobble at high speed. Looked completely normal from outside, but if you touch the shaft, there was side movement.
Ok, hands off that shaft!

You can check with pinion installed, just push sideways, there shouldn't be any side movement.

Hi - on my Kraton exb with the HW Max6 1650kv kombo, the teeth on the pinion keep getting worn very fast. They are stripped after 6-10 runs. Im aware that its a powerfull setup, but Im easy on the throttle and drives a 20t. The mesh is correct. A little on the loose side to try to keep the centerdiff cooler. The centerdiff gear is not very worn. Whats up?

And in addition, it looks almost like the one side of the pinion teeth are pressed flat. I don't know if it makes any sense. Its like the spur hits the pinion like a hammer. But it should be able to withstand that? I guess?
Did you check if the distance between gears are correct? If you are on top of the gears without space they get worn out pretty fast as they pres to much on it. Other point could be, that something is bend. Like the motorshaft or motor mount

Paper is good for starts. But always wise to check a 360 turn of the largest gear
+1
Absolutely check the mesh this way. Very important.
Because the spur is never 100% centric, neither is the Pinion gear.
Paper trick is ok. After a while it can be done by Eye. I find that if you merely depend on the paper's Gap , many times it is too tight or loose with Mod 1 gears.
Best way to start is to slam the Pinion Against the Spur gear completely, then back off from there. Easiest way IMHO. Then rotate the spur to check for that tick of play all around. I like my mesh on the "tighter" side. It's normal to take some time to get it just right.
Improper mesh usually can be heard once you get aquainted with the running sound, doing this over and over.
I always look over the Gear(s) Contact Angle Wear. A shiny wear spot on each Tooth. Need at least a 50%+ wear contact between the Gears Pitch/ Teeth. More contact is obviously best.
Too loose and the Teeth tips of each gear get "feathered" and Sharp. (n)

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back