Typhon Need help picking out typhon! 3s or 6s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huntet8426

Reaction score
My local racetrack limits batteries to only 2s batteries. I like the 6S for all of its upgrades but don't know if I can run 2s. Looking for some advice on what the best decision I should do.

Assuming RTR, ESC, motor, and pinions. Not to mention the 6S is quite a bit heftier to be running on 2S. IMHO, get the 3S if the track limits you like that. Honestly the best answer is to get both though haha. Also keep in mind a 6S truck would be awful big for a track for 2S cars.

I would definitely double check the track rules to see if they have a scale limit ... as mentioned above if the limit is 2S - maybe they’re thinking EB410s.

Having both the 3S and 6S Typhon, it’s 6S for me all the way. The 3S has enough annoyances (to me) that would make me avoid another one. But this is just my opinion and I’m sure others will have the opposing view.

I would definitely double check the track rules to see if they have a scale limit ... as mentioned above if the limit is 2S - maybe they’re thinking EB410s.

Having both the 3S and 6S Typhon, it’s 6S for me all the way. The 3S has enough annoyances (to me) that would make me avoid another one. But this is just my opinion and I’m sure others will have the opposing view.
What annoyances? I only have the 3S but am curious about 6S rigs.

Get the 3s typhon. Upgrade it to 4s. So you can run 2s to 4s on the max10sct esc. 4S is plenty fast on how light the buggy is.

What annoyances? I only have the 3S but am curious about 6S rigs.

My annoyances:

1. Centers slipper ... just give me a diff
2. Overly big center drive shaft that likes to chew up wires
3. Power module traps debris - unless you use the tape mod or cut out the chassis
4. Motor plate prone to bending
5. The whole drivetrain setup where the axle stubs are held on by one screw that needs to be loctited and you need a long driver in order to get the driveshaft off the diff output.
6. That the ring gear is molded onto the diff cup

I know I'm being pretty nitpicky, I can toss my 3S cars around with reckless abandon and not be worried about bending a chassis or whatnot but if asked about what I dislike, those are probably on the top of the list.

My annoyances:

1. Centers slipper ... just give me a diff
2. Overly big center drive shaft that likes to chew up wires
3. Power module traps debris - unless you use the tape mod or cut out the chassis
4. Motor plate prone to bending
5. The whole drivetrain setup where the axle stubs are held on by one screw that needs to be loctited and you need a long driver in order to get the driveshaft off the diff output.
6. That the ring gear is molded onto the diff cup

I know I'm being pretty nitpicky, I can toss my 3S cars around with reckless abandon and not be worried about bending a chassis or whatnot but if asked about what I dislike, those are probably on the top of the list.
7. Turnbuckles and camber links bend when you look at them.
8. Setting gear mesh is rather tedious.
9. Steering assembly is sloppier than a Thai hooker.
10. Plastic pivot balls last maybe a week.
11. You need 3 hands to remove the power module.

I take the 3s Typhon out far more often that the 6s. On a track with a lot of corners the 3s will probably be faster. Especially as a beginner. They both take a beating. Cost of running is a lot lower on the 3s. If you consider batteries too, about half the price. Tires is the other thing. The stock 3s tires last a long time, even on pavement. First thing on the 6s you need is new tires.

I take the 3s Typhon out far more often that the 6s. On a track with a lot of corners the 3s will probably be faster. Especially as a beginner. They both take a beating. Cost of running is a lot lower on the 3s. If you consider batteries too, about half the price. Tires is the other thing. The stock 3s tires last a long time, even on pavement. First thing on the 6s you need is new tires.
My only complaint about the stock 3s tires is the foams are way too thin and soft, they need a thicker firmer foam in them.

I use my v3 3s typhon for track duty only. I’ve owned a 6s v5 also. My track limits us to 4s. The 3s is way lighter and much more nimble than the 6s. With a few cheap upgrades it’s plenty fast as well. The 6s is overkill for just about any track. It’s
great for speed runs and bashing though. Get the 3s, do just some basic suspension and chasssis upgrades and you’ll own a reliable tough fantastic track weapon for local racing. good luck

I use my v3 3s typhon for track duty only. I’ve owned a 6s v5 also. My track limits us to 4s. The 3s is way lighter and much more nimble than the 6s. With a few cheap upgrades it’s plenty fast as well. The 6s is overkill for just about any track. It’s
great for speed runs and bashing though. Get the 3s, do just some basic suspension and chasssis upgrades and you’ll own a reliable tough fantastic track weapon for local racing. good luck
What are the primary suspension and chassis upgrades you’d recommend?

My local racetrack limits batteries to only 2s batteries. I like the 6S for all of its upgrades but don't know if I can run 2s. Looking for some advice on what the best decision I should do.
T3S for sure with those restrictions. But you also will need a Typhon 6S for outside the track 🤘🏻

EDIT: If you really want a 6S, you could grab an MMX ESC and a TP4050-5690kv motor and it would be really fast. You could run a large capacity 2S pack.

Last edited:
What are the primary suspension and chassis upgrades you’d recommend?
Hot racing aluminum pivot ball set and aluminum HR bell crank to start. That’s all I’ve done to mine so far and the steering precision is much better. I have a set of 6sv5 shocks I may install but my stock ones are still working perfectly. I may just try some different weight shock oils to fine tune the suspension. I also have a 13T pinion I want to try out to see if I can get better acceleration out of her. My only other mod is an upgraded motor cooling fan. Everything else is bone stock and I have no complaints. Fwiw, I ran my v5 6s on 3s with punch setting on 7 and my little brother 3s was hands down faster around my front yard practice track. Batteries and general running costs are way cheaper as well. good luck

Last edited:
Back