Need some heavy prayers and positive thoughts for NorCal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thankfully fire hasn't made any big runs over the last few days but we have some winds coming in over the next couple days that don't look good. Fortunately the fire is still holding about 9 miles from us here in Janesville. Also for my parents homes and hometown of Westwood the fire is only about 1.25 miles away but again has seen very little spread. Really have to hope the next couple days and the winds moving in doesn't prompt a huge run on multiple fronts of the fire but unfortunately with the terrain and winds we get it will take a miracle. If anyone is interested in some really detailed info on the fire and great aerial imagery check out Zeke's page. He is formerly from Westwood as I am and does an amazing job of being a look out. http://the-lookout.org/

Really gives it a different perspective when you can really see the topography in his photos. That is getting too close for comfort for sure. How many motor fans would it take to change its direction? :unsure:

Hang in there and stay safe, your parents have to be getting nervous about their place.

Really gives it a different perspective when you can really see the topography in his photos. That is getting too close for comfort for sure. How many motor fans would it take to change its direction? :unsure:

Hang in there and stay safe, your parents have to be getting nervous about their place.
Yes definitely especially how close it has gotten. Fortunately now the next couple days winds should be to our advantage and should blow the fire away from us both. The worry will be the fire coming down Dyer mountain on the west side of Mountain Meadows reservoir and north twords Westwood. They've also been doing back burns closer to Westwood on Hwy 36 to help prevent spread into town which has been working well. Can only go day by day and hope for the best 🙏

Well worst case scenario happened unfortunately 😭 here's my mountain range fire ripped down it in about an HR we are at home still hoping to wait it out tell morning so we have somewhere to bring our horses and go to. Thankfully between us and the fire it's flat no trees and not much for it to spread to us. We still haven't been officially mandatory evacuated still no one come to the door and we have a good 2-3 miles between us and the flames😭
IMG_20210816_200815863.jpg
IMG_20210816_202754897.jpg
IMG_20210816_202805536.jpg
IMG_20210816_202814268.jpg
IMG_20210816_213107328.jpg
IMG_20210816_213117644.jpg

Here's what that view used to look like 😭
IMG_20210319_155220_479.jpg

I'd be leaving sprinklers on the roofs tonight...
It would be for nothing when we loose power we loose our well pump and the ability to get any water unfortunately. We have some good fire breaks on our property between our roads to the barn and to our house also the big easement driveway for the 4 of us on the road. Still about 4 miles from fire and it's now at the base of the mountain and not mush to burn to us so they should be able to keep it along hwy 395 hopefully.

That’s crazy man! Looks like the world is on fire in those pics. My wife would’ve had our horses loaded and left me there. Again, you and your family are in our prayers and we hope it gets shut down asap! Stay safe, buddy
I wish I could send you my pto generator just to run your well pumps

I'm getting uncomfortable just looking at the photos, any news on your parents place?
So far Westwood is still standing the fire continues to not move very much in it's direction. Now the worry becomes there are so many different fronts and even new fires starting. The fire that wiped out my mountain in front of us was a new spot fire or just a new fire that started yesterday and in a couple hrs completely took off down the face of the ridge and mountain. Thankfully we are ok still at home fire doesn't seem to be spreading twords us so may not even have to leave thank God. Have winds coming in again today though so not good news for the fire in general.

Got our property mowed and lines around the property perimeter just in case. Thankfully the fire has made no forward progress twords us since 3am which is about when I fell asleep as the fire had really died down and seemed contained at Hwy 395. Really windy today which is no good at all for the fire but thankfully for us it's blowing away from us so we should be ok for today🙏🤞 Still a lot of big "fingers" or fronts burning and making runs in all directions so unfortunately nothing and no one is clear any time soon. Also have to hope one of the "fingers" north of us doesn't continue into Susanville where it's heading. Susanville right now is the closest and largest towns to be able to shop, get fuel doctors etc. not to mention is holding evacuees from all the smaller communities already evacuated.
Here's some ashes I found in the front yard today
IMG_20210817_153008_083.jpg

Finally it is clear today, seems like I haven't seen blue sky's in a month. Unfortunately it's not the same view it used to be but we're just thankful to be safe and ok at home. Going to take advantage and get some rigs out for a good bash today as again seems forever since I got to bash due to the smoke. Hopefully with the clearing they can get some air resources on the fire today and make good progress also
IMG_20210818_084536627.jpg
IMG_20210818_084454203.jpg
IMG_20210818_084457879.jpg
IMG_20210818_084501510.jpg

Finally it is clear today, seems like I haven't seen blue sky's in a month. Unfortunately it's not the same view it used to be but we're just thankful to be safe and ok at home. Going to take advantage and get some rigs out for a good bash today as again seems forever since I got to bash due to the smoke. Hopefully with the clearing they can get some air resources on the fire today and make good progress alsoView attachment 164444View attachment 164445View attachment 164446View attachment 164447
That’s excellent news, buddy!! I know that’s got to be a blessing to see after yesterday!! Have a good bash today, much deserved!!

Looking way better!
So happy that things appear to be turning around. I wish we could send this Texas rain your way or a hurricane or two (y)
I wish you could send the rain, you can keep the hurricanes though. I just read we are in for another dry winter here. :(
Finally it is clear today, seems like I haven't seen blue sky's in a month. Unfortunately it's not the same view it used to be but we're just thankful to be safe and ok at home. Going to take advantage and get some rigs out for a good bash today as again seems forever since I got to bash due to the smoke. Hopefully with the clearing they can get some air resources on the fire today and make good progress also
Really hope they get a handle on it soon. the stress of not knowing what's next, for such a long duration, is enough to push anyone over the edge. o_O

I wish you could send the rain, you can keep the hurricanes though. I just read we are in for another dry winter here. :(

Really hope they get a handle on it soon. the stress of not knowing what's next, for such a long duration, is enough to push anyone over the edge. o_O
Most hurricanes are fairly harmless unless your town is below sea level and right at the coast or shipping port like many parts of Louisiana and Houston.

I don't see how life in California can keep going much longer unless something big changes. All the farms are nearly shut down at this point.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back