Kraton New brushless motor I keep blowing my motors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joaokrm

Reaction score
Hello guys, I keep melting my motors on my kraton 6s blx v5. I need an advice. I already tried various types of gearing and timings. I melted 3 engines already. I installed a brand new one yesterday and lasted only one ride lol (with a heatsink and 2 fans, my car was sounding like a drone). Here in my town is very hot, about 30c (86f). And I always push the car to the limit. I'm thinking in buying one of these: Hobbywing EzRun 4274-SL-2200KV

Is it better then the original? And the stock ESC can handle it?

And I need an advice for the diff oil. Front and back 30w and middle 1000w, correct?

Man, I can't have a break from this car, always breaking something lol

Last edited:
I don't wanna copy what i just wrote in another thread (https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/optional-included-speed-pinion-problems.58015/post-854035)

Heat comes from too much load and how hard you push it. Keep your motor timing low, don't go too high on the pinion, be easy on your trigger finger and adjust it to the surface (grass/mud are demanding)
Just go for a bigger motor like a 4092/4585 those will have it much easier.
What do you think about the Rocket 4585 1580kv? It will have the same speed as the original and with less heat? And what timing do you recommend for this motor?

What do you think about the Rocket 4585 1580kv? It will have the same speed as the original and with less heat? And what timing do you recommend for this motor?
I don’t think the stock ESC can handle that 4585 motor.

I’d buy a 4082 in the 1600-1700kv range.

Timing close to zero.

More information is needed to really provide you a better recommendation. What gearing are you running? What mods to the truck do you have (tires, aluminum pieces, stuff that adds weight, etc).

More information is needed to really provide you a better recommendation. What gearing are you running? What mods to the truck do you have (tires, aluminum pieces, stuff that adds weight, etc).
I run the stock high speed gearing, stock truck, I always run on flat surface, on dirt terrain, full throttle always, 6S lipo 60C 5000mah.. At the moment, stock timing too and all others settings on ESC, except braking. I want a bullet proof motor to at least have 5 rides without melting.

Last edited:
I run the stock high speed gearing
There’s your problem. High speed pinion is for speed runs. One pass, then cool off. Not for continuous driving for a whole battery pack.
4585 is 3600W(max) = 6S @150A
And in the end it's all about the load
I hear you but stand by my statement. That ESC will burn up with that motor. Especially the way he said he drives.

I am surprised your Firma 150 has not already caught fire. I bet your bash sessions are epic "full throttle always" 😆.

What others have said I would probably go for a 4082 motor (1700-1800kV) and upgrade your cooling to a twin fan (+20k rpm) cooler. Turn the timing down to 0 on the Firma 150 and keep the same pinion for now (will be a little slower at 1700-1800kV).

The way you drive the 4585 will surely destroy your ESC without an upgrade. Some feel the Firma 150 is already at the edge of it capabilities in the 6s vehicles, especially if you are rocking the speed pinion as well.

Lots of people have gone with the Hobbying Max6 ESC/Motor combo (1650kV) motor and been very happy.

There’s your problem. High speed pinion is for speed runs. One pass, then cool off. Not for continuous driving for a whole battery pack.

I hear you but stand by my statement. That ESC will burn up with that motor. Especially the way he said he drives.
Like i said in my first post and reference to the other thread. It's still good to have a motor that takes it with more ease, but running allways full throttle with high gearing in mud is a receipe for burning...

Drop a few teeth on the pinion.

Knowing the latest info you provided, that you're running in high load situations, you're two options I see are 1) drop to the stock 12t as @rotauq suggested, or 2) upgrade to a max6 combo or similar.

The stock spektrum is not designed to handle that level of power. So either lower the power via gearing or you'll need to get a system that can handle that power.

Knowing the latest info you provided, that you're running in high load situations, you're two options I see are 1) drop to the stock 12t as @rotauq suggested, or 2) upgrade to a max6 combo or similar.

The stock spektrum is not designed to handle that level of power. So either lower the power via gearing or you'll need to get a system that can handle that power.
https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/4001035372527.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.27.27bc3681c7l02z&algo_pvid=2e17be59-4c66-4aa4-b20d-3d928c4d4af3&algo_exp_id=2e17be59-4c66-4aa4-b20d-3d928c4d4af3-13&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"10000013672180237"}&pdp_npi=2@dis!BRL!613.93!337.67!!!65.7!!@211bd3cb16714018299624190d0774!10000013672180237!sea&curPageLogUid=unmuBjj7qnCz

This engine with the stock ESC and the 12t gearing with the dual fan heatsink setup is gonna work fine? easy on the throttle and turning the timing down to 0

This is certainly a fake castle motor. I've had something simular in the past. It wasn't a bad motor, but specwise the kv was like -30% of what was advertised.
1515 = 4076, which is basiclly the same can(thus power) as a stock spectrum motor. Higher kv does nothing in terms of power, it basicly only changes your gearing range.

I am certain when you stick to a 12T pinion the stock esc can take up to a 4092 (1900-2200) If the kv is lower a bigger pinion is required.
Generally I'd say when you go for a larger than stock motor, be cautious with bigger pinions and 2200+ kv as more power and more topspeed will certainly burn the esc.

I am surprised your Firma 150 has not already caught fire. I bet your bash sessions are epic "full throttle always" 😆.

What others have said I would probably go for a 4082 motor (1700-1800kV) and upgrade your cooling to a twin fan (+20k rpm) cooler. Turn the timing down to 0 on the Firma 150 and keep the same pinion for now (will be a little slower at 1700-1800kV).

The way you drive the 4585 will surely destroy your ESC without an upgrade. Some feel the Firma 150 is already at the edge of it capabilities in the 6s vehicles, especially if you are rocking the speed pinion as well.

Lots of people have gone with the Hobbying Max6 ESC/Motor combo (1650kV) motor and been very happy.
Max6/1650kv seems to be the go to for so many. A proven setup.

don't no how you manage to go full throttle all the time on the speed pinion bet you go through everything fast :p

Only a Nitro guy/ car tech will know this.:giggle:
ICE=Engine.

don't no how you manage to go full throttle all the time on the speed pinion bet you go through everything fast :p
I have the 15T Speed pinion installed on my FT . But I dropped the ESC timing down to 3.75 degrees. Drop the timing down to keep things cooler. I'll go down one more, to Zero Degrees if need be. Default ESC motor timing out the box is pretty high at 22.5 degrees.:rolleyes: I rather start low and work my way up. Or you can potentially fry the motor. Higher the timing, the more heat generated. And at some point the motor's performance will peak or even degrade with a certain set timing. Just more heat results.(n) Trial and error. Start out low IMHO.
It's winter here now for me and weather temps are cold in the 30F-40F range.

Last edited:
Drop down to 1-2 teeth below stock gearing and full throttle away, otherwise you'll be stacking cooked motors high like fried chicken. 86F isn't anything, we run stock cars in 115F in Arizona and don't have overheating problems, but then again, we don't try to kill everything in 1 battery.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back