Felony NEW LINE OF TP MOTORS (SVM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only Mentioned the NMB's because they are actually the best you can find in a standard shielded Motor Chromium BB.
Ceramic BB's are not referred to by their Abec rating per se. FWIW. But an Abec 5 is considered superior if legit. Tightest tolerances. Better QC. I've had some real crappy Ceramics before. They can be hit or miss also.
But Ceramics handle heat well. Ceramic Balls are not thermally conductive like Chromium balls are. Why Ceram's are Best for motors. They are not any more superior with durability IMHO. Hybrid Ceramic BB's still have Chromium Races... what wears out. Still need the same service intervals as with Chromium BB's.
Synthetic oil is best for any type of Motor BB's. Ceramics still require a lube and maintenance. How I fly. Despite some claims to the opposite.

Last edited:
I don’t have the money to pay $200+ for a motor now, so I’m just gunna be running what I got to the max and learn more as I go through them. Lol I know it’s not the best of eq, but I can have fun getting the most out of what I got 😁👍🏻
This really is the way to go. You learn a lot more by trying to optimize smaller system than you do by just throwing money and power at a build. Then when you hit plateaus comes the time to figure out where your money is best spent to get the most significant ROI. This way you'll also find the weak spots organically and see which parts are worth upgrading and which parts are just bling (there's a lot of bling out there).

Last edited:
What brand and model Ceramics did you go with???:)

I just want to say I have at least 10 tp motors iirc and I've not had a SINGLE problem with any of them except the one I crashed into the curb with and that one even lasted months after the fact lol. Zero bearing problems so far, zero need to replace a bearing or anything. #TPpowa

Pulled the trigger on a 4070svm to try out. If I have as much success with it as I have with my 4070cm, since I’ve gotten 170+ with the cm, I don’t see why I can’t get my hobao into the 180’s with this setup.
The motor takes about 4 weeks to arrive so I’ll continue 3,4s passes with it for now.
I just want to say I have at least 10 tp motors iirc and I've not had a SINGLE problem with any of them except the one I crashed into the curb with and that one even lasted months after the fact lol. Zero bearing problems so far, zero need to replace a bearing or anything. #TPpowa
Same here, I have 9 motors currently and 2 more that came with Omar’s granite for me to run.
My 4070cm that has now seen 175mph in my vendetta, has 100+ passes on it, was majorly overgeared when I ran it in my limitless when I first started out speed running.
I snapped the 5mm rotor in it and put a 8mm in and it is still going strong.

Last edited:
I ordered the sensored tp 5650 from rmamba on june 8th iirc. The listing said it would take about 3 weeks for it to be made/shipped. Hasn't been 3 weeks yet but he hasn't said anything about a delay.
I finally made a decision and ordered the
tp4070cm 2200kv and it’s 3 day shipping. I wanted vented so I could invent a boxed filtered fan shroud but I don’t know f it’s coming vented or not bcs I ordered it at 3am😴 but TP said their out of vented caps for the 4070 size cans so I don’t know if that’strue for all retailers too... I did remember choosing 5mm instead of 8mm shaft bcs the 1717 is 5mm and so are all my pinions. I’d only consider 8mm for my 36lbs Kraton truck or any other 1/5 off road. Do most of you guys just go for the 8mm motor pinion shaft just bcs it’s the same price, or do some of you consider the 5mm for 1/7 street racing or other reasons? Like weight, balance, reliability or performance? The mechanic at Island Nut said that the sensor plate on the TP brand motors do not last bcs they tend to burn out prematurely. What have been your guys experience?

I finally made a decision and ordered the
tp4070cm 2200kv and it’s 3 day shipping. I wanted vented so I could invent a boxed filtered fan shroud but I don’t know f it’s coming vented or not bcs I ordered it at 3am😴 but TP said their out of vented caps for the 4070 size cans so I don’t know if that’strue for all retailers too... I did remember choosing 5mm instead of 8mm shaft bcs the 1717 is 5mm and so are all my pinions. I’d only consider 8mm for my 36lbs Kraton truck or any other 1/5 off road. Do most of you guys just go for the 8mm motor pinion shaft just bcs it’s the same price, or do some of you consider the 5mm for 1/7 street racing or other reasons? Like weight, balance, reliability or performance? The mechanic at Island Nut said that the sensor plate on the TP brand motors do not last bcs they tend to burn out prematurely. What have been your guys experience?
When available, I always get 8mm shafts. I do this for a couple of reasons. First off the somewhat obvious: the thicker shaft will be stronger. All other things being equal, bigger = stronger. Having motors with 8mm shafts allows me to share gears between my motors and spools, reducing the overall money I need to spend for a full compliment of gears. While there are select 5mm pinions that are outfitted with M5 grub screws, fact is that most of them only have M4 grubs. The 2mm hex driver can only provide a limited amount of torque and they round over a lot easier than 2.5mm hexes. I've replaced all of the M5 grubs in my pinion/spur gears with Torx M5 grub screws and I've been exceedingly happy with them. You can really torque them down and they just have really positive engagement with the Torx driver. Weight doesn't factor and doesn't make a difference. Especially if you consider that the motors with 5mm shafts typically have 8mm shafts inside the motor and it's just the portion that extends outside the motor that has been ground down to 5mm.

Reliability goes to the 8mm shafts and I'd even argue that performance does as well. Not in the sense of go-fast performance, but pinion gears that don't come loose every nearly as often (or ever...I don't think I've ever had the grub in an 8mm pinion back out due to use) is better performance in my eyes.

I've never used sensored TP motors so I can't say anything to the longevity of the sensor plate.

My sensored motor has been fine and I wish tp power had them in stock and not custom ordered. I also agree with @Diem Turner and try to stick with 8mm shaft when possible. It did suck buying more pinions but I definitely like the bigger ones more. They stay on a lot better.

I agree w/ @Diem Turner, whenever possible I go w/ the 8mm shaft for my speed runners. Actually had a pinion come loose & bind up w/ the spur gear while testing. Ended up breaking the 5mm shaft off the 4060cm, luckily tp sells just the rotor.

20220814_141256.jpg

20220814_130044.jpg

When available, I always get 8mm shafts. I do this for a couple of reasons. First off the somewhat obvious: the thicker shaft will be stronger. All other things being equal, bigger = stronger. Having motors with 8mm shafts allows me to share gears between my motors and spools, reducing the overall money I need to spend for a full compliment of gears. While there are select 5mm pinions that are outfitted with M5 grub screws, fact is that most of them only have M4 grubs. The 2mm hex driver can only provide a limited amount of torque and they round over a lot easier than 2.5mm hexes. I've replaced all of the M5 grubs in my pinion/spur gears with Torx M5 grub screws and I've been exceedingly happy with them. You can really torque them down and they just have really positive engagement with the Torx driver. Weight doesn't factor and doesn't make a difference. Especially if you consider that the motors with 5mm shafts typically have 8mm shafts inside the motor and it's just the portion that extends outside the motor that has been ground down to 5mm.

Reliability goes to the 8mm shafts and I'd even argue that performance does as well. Not in the sense of go-fast performance, but pinion gears that don't come loose every nearly as often (or ever...I don't think I've ever had the grub in an 8mm pinion back out due to use) is better performance in my eyes.

I've never used sensored TP motors so I can't say anything to the longevity of the sensor plate.
Why would they ever offer a 5mm on such a powerful motor you know.. maybe boat or plane. I’ve seen/heard shafts snapping but so send it back for an identical 8mm version would be $13 shipping 3 times that’s like a $40 decision🥸.. my 2028 with 8mm shaft in my 1/5 Kraton has had the pinion come loose a hand full of times but the 1717 in my felony has only had its pinion come loose once. Of course this of all driving style and the weight of the vehicle. One last note, I notice the bottom end of grub screws are t flat, they have a rounded bevel with a reduced diameter of the actual bottom of the grub that rests on the shaft’s flat spot.. anyone ever file the grub screw’s mating surface for better contact?

I know of a couple bashers running TP motors but I didn't catch the specifics. I don't care about top speed but I do love ludicrous acceleration. For a 15lb 1/8 truck... what motor would provide nice punchy launches?

I know of a couple bashers running TP motors but I didn't catch the specifics. I don't care about top speed but I do love ludicrous acceleration. For a 15lb 1/8 truck... what motor would provide nice punchy launches?
If it's for a kraton/fireteam etc then tp 4070 1700kv can't go wrong with that.
I agree w/ @Diem Turner, whenever possible I go w/ the 8mm shaft for my speed runners. Actually had a pinion come loose & bind up w/ the spur gear while testing. Ended up breaking the 5mm shaft off the 4060cm, luckily tp sells just the rotor.

View attachment 275548

View attachment 275549
wow thats nuts.

Why would they ever offer a 5mm on such a powerful motor you know.. maybe boat or plane. I’ve seen/heard shafts snapping but so send it back for an identical 8mm version would be $13 shipping 3 times that’s like a $40 decision🥸.. my 2028 with 8mm shaft in my 1/5 Kraton has had the pinion come loose a hand full of times but the 1717 in my felony has only had its pinion come loose once. Of course this of all driving style and the weight of the vehicle. One last note, I notice the bottom end of grub screws are t flat, they have a rounded bevel with a reduced diameter of the actual bottom of the grub that rests on the shaft’s flat spot.. anyone ever file the grub screw’s mating surface for better contact?
I haven't filed any grubs flat myself (I try to avoid filing hardened steel whenever possible) but my M5 Torx grub screws are flat bottomed and they've held up well so far.

View attachment 275548

View attachment 275549
🫡🇺🇸💔.. looks like you still would have suffered severe damage due the fashion of failure.
That’s my kind of thing, I’m happy with 100mph easy and the rest just torque for fun. I’m still new to TP, my first order is coming Monday and it’s the (CM) version of 4070.. it’s a bump up in power from the regular 4070 but it’s designed to accelerate much faster and has a slightly higher top end.,

Now the two “drawbacks”(debatable) are it draws 9 amps just spinning by itself on the test bench so it’s going to take 9 amps just to get the motor rolling once it’s installed and on the ground. Second drawback (debatable) is that it’s recommended to only 10 seconds of runtime (IN MAX RPM RANGE)… if your only in the mid rpm range, then the 10 second limit does not apply. However more power means either more heat, or.. same temps as it’s predecessor but you’ll reach those temps much sooner, both motor and esc.

This is everything that I’ve learned from recent research.

Last edited:
🫡🇺🇸💔.. looks like you still would have suffered severe damage due the fashion of failure.

That’s my like off thing, I’m happy with 100mph easy and the rest just torque for fun. I’m still new to TP, my first order is coming Monday and it’s the (CM) version of 4070.. it’s a bump up in power from the regular 4070 but it’s designed to accelerate much faster and has a slightly higher top end.,

Now the two “drawbacks”(debatable) are it draws 9 amps just spinning by itself on the test bench so it’s going to take 9 amps just to get the motor rolling once it’s installed and on the ground. Second drawback (debatable) is that it’s recommended to only 10 seconds of runtime (IN MAX RPM RANGE)… if your only in the mid rpm range, then the 10 second limit does not apply. However more power means either more heat, or.. same temps as it’s predecessor but you’ll reach those temps much sooner, both motor and esc.

This is everything that I’ve learned from recent research.
I live in California so heat is a concern. I don't run it wide open for long. I still like stuff durable though.

I haven't filed any grubs flat myself (I try to avoid filing hardened steel whenever possible) but my M5 Torx grub screws are flat bottomed and they've held up well so far.
Link🙏😎🙏
I live in California so heat is a concern. I don't run it wide open for long. I still like stuff durable though.
EXOCAGED swapped the stock motor from the traxxas UDR with the TP 4070 2200kv and he stated that it was SLOWER than the traxxas UDR stock motor! Imo the motor needs a bigger pinion because that motor is designed for torque not top end but here’s that video so you can get an idea.https://youtu.be/gIUXnV0IoJg

Last edited:
Link🙏😎🙏

EXOCAGED swapped the stock motor from the traxxas UDR with the TP 4070 2200kv and he stated that it was SLOWER than the traxxas UDR stock motor! Imo the motor needs a bigger pinion because that motor is designed for torque not top end but here’s that video so you can get an idea.https://youtu.be/gIUXnV0IoJg
Exocaged must have been drunk or his batteries are trash. There is no way a stock udr motor is faster than a tp 4070 with the same kv.

Edit: after watching some of the video I think his batteries are trash and he is using a max 6? I can't tell what that esc is but it looks like a max 6. Maybe that 2200kv TP motor was pushing the max 6 too hard.

Last edited:
Exocaged must have been drunk or his batteries are trash. There is no way a stock udr motor is faster than a tp 4070 with the same kv.

Edit: after watching some of the video I think his batteries are trash and he is using a max 6? I can't tell what that esc is but it looks like a max 6. Maybe that 2200kv TP motor was pushing the max 6 too hard.
Imo, All the amps are being used to feed the long surface area of the can, which is where it gets all its torque. However the TP4070 would be impervious to a taller gearing than the stock motor would be with the same theoretical tall gearing.

I bought them here in Germany so a direct link probably isn't particularly helpful. What you're looking for is FG Grub screw with Torx M5x5mm, part number 6930/05. Should you not be able to find them and want to order them from Germany, let me know and I can link you to where I bought them. I just checked, they deliver to the US.

I bought them here in Germany so a direct link probably isn't particularly helpful. What you're looking for is FG Grub screw with Torx M5x5mm, part number 6930/05. Should you not be able to find them and want to order them from Germany, let me know and I can link you to where I bought them. I just checked, they deliver to the US.
Awesome man thanks👌🫵

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back