New Senton shuts down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy!

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
Bought a Venom 5000 40C 7.4 V 2S battery for our new Senton Mega and after 10-12 minutes run time it seems like the ESC loses contact with the controller. The wheels will turn back and forth but no throttle. Shut the vehicle off and turn back on and it will run for a minute and do the same thing. Changed the batteries in the remote and still does the same thing. Any ideas?

Sounds like it is going into low voltage cutoff. Have you checked the cell voltages on your LiPo?

Other possibility is thermal shutdown. Is the motor or ESC getting excessively hot?

I have not. Still new to all of this. What is the best way to check?

Put it in DC voltage. On your balance connector there will be 3 wires. One will be black, the other two may vary in color. Put your negative lead on the black wire and your positive on the wire next to it. That is your first cell. Next move the positive lead to the last wire, that is your second cell. Voltage should be between 3.2V-4.2V depending on charge. both cells should be similar (within .01V of each other).

1540403460776.png

Thank you for your replies guys and yes original brushed motor. I will have to check the motor temp and ESC when it does it again Another dumb question is I am charging that battery at 4 amps. Is that too much?

Last edited:
Venom has the "Suggested charge rate" for that battery at 1c (5 amps)

So am I not getting it fully charged then? My charger only goes up to 4 amps

So am I not getting it fully charged then? My charger only goes up to 4 amps

You can charge at any rate you like, though it takes longer the lower amperage you use. 1C, 5A in your case, takes an hour to charge.

What charger are you using? Are you balance charging?

"X" is correct
Cell voltage at 4.20 indicates a full charge

See if there is screen you can select on your charger that will indicate cell voltage to see where they're at.

Example:
IMG_7945.JPG

Last edited:
I am balance charging. I will have to check what brand it is tonight. I appreciate everyone's input. Thank you

Sadly this is a common problem with the brushed models of the Senton and Granite Mega 4x4. The motor and ESC are under powered for these and as a result you hit thermal shut down even on the stock nimh battery.
Most guys seem to upgrade to one of those GoolRC combos off ebay, however they tend to burn up using 3s batteries but seem to be just fine on 2s.

Thanks everyone for your input, so now suggestions for brushless upgrade trying to stay fairly reasonable in price? We are looking for some more speed but still as durable as the rest of the truck. I am really impressed on the beating it has taken with no breaks at all

If you want to go cheap, get one of the GoolRc/Racerstar/Surpass combos from a good seller with a good return policy. This will cost you an extra $10 (for a good seller vs the cheapest on ebay) but probably 1 in 4 of the GoolRC EScs are bad out of the box. I use Banggood for a lot of my uber-budget purchases. My last Racerstar combo, the ESC was bad - I made a short video showing it hooked up and not working, and sent them a link, and they mailed me a new ESC.

As for what combo - I would look at a 3650 in a lower KV - maybe 3300kv-3500kv, and 60a ESC. Then plan on 2s only. Also, buy the HD diff input 17t - that will probably be the first thing to fail with the new motor.

If you want to go 3s, or with a 3660 size motor, plan on replacing the diffs, slipper, and spur with the BLX3s version.

Thanks everyone for your input, so now suggestions for brushless upgrade trying to stay fairly reasonable in price? We are looking for some more speed but still as durable as the rest of the truck. I am really impressed on the beating it has taken with no breaks at all

Get a good esc like a Hobbywing SC8 or Max10 120a I say the larger escs because these escs will allow you to run larger motors. The Hobbywing 10bl60 is not bad either while running most 3650 size motors. The cheaper Castle escs have weak BECs. The cheap Goolrc/Racerstar/Surpass escs can work but are very hit and miss and are not waterproof even though they may say they are. The Arrma escs are like cheaper versions of Hobbywing escs less programmable options. Motors are a dime a dozen in my opinion even a $20 (Goolrc/Racerstar/Ocday etc.) brushless motor can work very well.

So if you want dependable get a Hobbywing or Castle combo. If you want to save a little money get a Hobbywing esc and a lesser brand motor (Goolrc/Racerstar/Surpass etc.).

Just some suggestions (links are reference)

Castle combo https://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-Creations-1-10-SC-Sidewinder-WP-ESC-Sensored-3800KV-Motor-Comob-3-17mm/382274633004?_trkparms=aid=555017&algo=PL.CASSINI&ao=1&asc=54339&meid=1e19c6f6dc46431683bf1b9e4f341cb7&pid=101006&rk=1&rkt=1&&itm=382274633004&_trksid=p2045573.c101006.m3226
Hobbywing combo https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbywing-...hb0HL9:sc:USPSPriority!36109!US!-1:rk:66:pf:0
Hobbywing esc and no name motor https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbywing-...p2Xh:sc:USPSFirstClass!36109!US!-1:rk:13:pf:0
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076YBZQ3...us000-pcomp-feature-rscomp-wm-5&ref=aa_rscomp
Cheap Surpass combo https://www.ebay.com/itm/SurpassHob...=item2ab8faa6d5:g:o20AAOSw1SdbyH54:rk:33:pf:0

To many options to list then depends on if you want run 2s, 3s, your budget (max willing to spend) and as mentioned necessary (depending on how hard you run) upgrades for more power.

Good luck and brushless is the way to go it does not have to have a powerful parts busting motor to get decent speed just most prefer it when changing brushed to brushless (I feel the need the need for speed) (I wanna go fast I wanna go fast)

Last edited:
I have had good luck with all my Hobbywing esc's and the cheap ebay motors. As far as cheap ebay escs go I'm 1 for 1 with those. Bought one of those Tsky 120a escs and burned it up on 3s, but the no name 1/18 25a esc has been good, other than the lvc being set stupid low, even on 3s.

So I pulled the trigger and installed this kit that I found at my closest hobby store (40 miles away lol) Everything went smooth on the install and programming but I can't tell if the fan on the ESC is running. I plugged it in to the B connection in the box. Should it actually go in the channel 3 spot or am I correct on the B (battery) spot?

Attachments

• IMG_0590.jpg
    IMG_0590.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0588.jpg
    IMG_0588.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 64
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back