New Traxxas truggy????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_2119.png

XRT snowbash -1 celsius

20/46 Louise x uphill mft xmaxx tires

I probably need to think about the temps :-/
Traxxas 4s 6700 batteries
Sliding drifting speed run and lots of wheel spinning on nice snow and ice.
TSM at 75%

From manual intresting:

• Temperature LED ( ) Solid Red: The VXL-8s has entered Thermal Shutdown Protection, Stage 1 to guard against overheating caused by excessive current flow. The VXL-8s will limit the power output to 50% throttle. Stop driving the model. Inspect the cooling fan on the ESC to make sure it is operating. Allow the power system to cool before continuing.

• Temperature LED ( ) Fast Blinking Red: The VXL-8s has entered Thermal Shutdown Protection, Stage 2 and has automatically shut down (fail-safe mode). Stop driving the model. Inspect the cooling fan on the ESC to make sure it is operating. Allow the power system to cool before continuing. If you are experiencing frequent warnings about temperature, it could be caused by overgearing (from stock), overly aggressive and continuous high speed driving, vehicle damage, or driving in conditions such as deep sand, heavy mud, and tall grass.

When using higher gear ratios, it is important to monitor the temperatures of the battery, motor, and speed control. If the battery is extremely hot (150°F) and/or the motor is too hot to touch (200°F), your model is probably over-geared and drawing too much current. This temperature test assumes that the model is close to factory stock weight and operates freely with no excessive friction, dragging, or binding, and the battery is fully charged and in good condition. Note: If not using the pin system, check and adjust gear mesh if a spur and/or pinion gear is changed. This model is equipped with a Velineon 1200XL brushless motor. The gear combination that comes stock on each model provides good overall acceleration and top speed. If high-speed gearing is used, it is not recommended for off-road or repetitive starting and stopping. Temperatures and Cooling The XRT includes several features to help cool the electronic components: a motor temperature sensor, motor cooling fans, motor heat sink, and electronic speed control cooling fan.

The motor temperature sensor is factory installed and provides accurate telemetry data and thermal overload protection for the motor. If you remove the temperature sensor for vehicle maintenance, be certain to reinstall it correctly. The sensor should be installed so the thermistor (the small component at the top of the temperature sensor) is on the top of the motor (the side where the wires exit the motor). The sensor should also be centered on the motor. If the sensor is installed incorrectly, inaccurate or false readings will be sent to the speed control, and your model’s performance may be compromised. Do not operate the XRT without the temperature sensor. If the sensor is missing or incorrectly installed, overheating and permanent motor damage may occur. Damage caused by overheating is not covered by the limited warranty. The XRT also features factory installed cooling fins. These cooling fins help pull the heat away from the motor. Also, the electronic speed control features a cooling fan to assist in cooling the VXL-8s in high current motor applications.

Guess I was close to get it :D

200 degrees Fahrenheit =
93.3333333 degrees Celsius

Last edited:
So I have a Max6 over, thinking about using it in the XRT, is it as good of a update on the XRT as the Xmaxx or is a Max5 the way to go?

If you're happy with a max 6 in the Xmaxx I don't see why you wouldn't be happy with it in the xrt. Personally I struggle to even put a max 6 in a kraton 6s but that's just me apparently 🤣

Chassis brace not needed unless you like to land from high on concret. I've only cracked one center skid after countless bash videos.

So I put in the old Max6 in the XRT and sure it feels better than the Traxxas stock 8s ESC.
Before I went from a Traxxas vxl 6s to the Max6 in Xmaxx 6s and that was a insane difference.
The old xmaxx 6s esc is now in china buggy used with 4s.

Will probably move the Traxxas vel xrt 8s esc and Traxxas vxl xmaxx 6s 1600kv motor to the Fireteam.

Last edited:
So I put in the old Max6 in the XRT and sure it feels better than the Traxxas stock 8s ESC.
Before I went from a Traxxas vxl 6s to the Max6 in Xmaxx 6s and that was a insane difference.
The old xmaxx 6s esc is now in china buggy used with 4s.

Will probably move the Traxxas vel xrt 8s esc and Traxxas vxl xmaxx 6s 1600kv motor to the Fireteam.
I relagated the VXL8S from my Xmaxx to my K6, on 6s, it is doing well there. Seems plenty for that, Max6 G1 in the Xmaxx, seems to have more punch than the VXL, the 7.4v BEC is worth it alone for sure.

Getting a bit fed up with the XRT. Last 3 times I came back with a broken rear differential. Right at the first or second set of lipos. Replaced pinion and ring gear, shimmed tightly - not enough. Broke it again today.

I think the rear differential casing / bulkhead is just not up to the job with the Max5 combo. Think the bulking is not rigid enough. I think that's why the new Ultimate XRT got a metal gearbox cover (7780) ?!?

Any suggestions?

I don't know but I get the feeling that the stock xmaxx and xrt cant handle the power from a Max5 with a motor maxing the esc.
It was not built with that power in mind so it will break more often than normal, have you check prices on alu/metal gearboxes even non traxxas ones?

Grab cheap covers for $15 on Aliexpress and keep ripping

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $13.31 30% Off | Metal Front/Rear Differential Cover Gearbox Cover For 1/5 Traxxas X-Maxx Xmaxx 6S 8S RC Monster Truck Upgrade Parts
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0U9cS2

Wondering if those metal covers keep the rear differential in place better. If that plastic cover ist just do flexible sideways allowing too much play and therefore opening the mesh too much during extreme load.

I 12s my xrt with stock diff and bulkheads. I did have a problem with one of my xrts rear diff breaking multiple times but after shimming the input gear really well it stopped. Wifey xrt is max 5 combo and never had a diff problem either.

If you shimmed input gear well and still having problems maybe you cracked the bulkhead or something. Either way I would still get that cheap alu cover from aliexpress. Can't beat that price 🤣

Grab cheap covers for $15 on Aliexpress and keep ripping

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $13.31 30% Off | Metal Front/Rear Differential Cover Gearbox Cover For 1/5 Traxxas X-Maxx Xmaxx 6S 8S RC Monster Truck Upgrade Parts
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0U9cS2

Or go crazy and buy a Ultimate and pay maximum price for the wrong parts you want changed out of the box :D

I 12s my xrt with stock diff and bulkheads. I did have a problem with one of my xrts rear diff breaking multiple times but after shimming the input gear really well it stopped. Wifey xrt is max 5 combo and never had a diff problem either.

If you shimmed input gear well and still having problems maybe you cracked the bulkhead or something. Either way I would still get that cheap alu cover from aliexpress. Can't beat that price 🤣
I had shimmed it really tight until it would not move after using a new pinion and ring gear. Don't think I can go any tighter. That's why I was wondering if the cover might be the problem. Perhaps I need to change the bulkhead. Will have to check if perhaps one of the crews of the cover got pulled over the thread and thereby loosening the screw. But that seems kind of far fetched.

Today it broke when I did ollys. Full power and break and let the car be airborne 10cm without a ramp. Obviously not the best for the differential but land

I was actually thinking about your jumping in the videos and wondering why I never remembered you having the same problem.

Or go crazy and buy a Ultimate and pay maximum price for the wrong parts you want changed out of the box :D

Might have to buy the cover of the Ultimate. At least it will not allow the differential to break out to the side. And do the same to the X-Maxx while at it.
Not sure about how exact that part from Alibaba is manufactured. Too few evaluations by other customers. Might have too much clearance sideways and guaranteeing another set of ring gear and pinion broken.

Last edited:
Today it broke when I did ollys. Full power and break and let the car be airborne 10cm without a ramp. Obviously not the best for the differential but land

As you already know (just stating it) There are many ways to destroy/wear out the components of a RC car prematurely, different things will happen depending on how your driving style is.
I have my problems with not enough planted speed, heat and stock tires. When summer comes maybe problems with my jumps will appear :D

As you already know (just stating it) There are many ways to destroy/wear out the components of a RC car prematurely, different things will happen depending on how your driving style is.
I have my problems with not enough planted speed, heat and stock tires. When summer comes maybe problems with my jumps will appear :D
I actually like the stock XRT tires on pavement. Too little grip on other surfaces. Got Louise/ Duratrax Rowdy tires but one ripped already, not sure why. Think some sharp edge. Might go for the MX43 (recommendation from Moirae) when more rip.

I agree also like the XRT stock tires, Xmaxx stock tires in my book have allways been crap for me. Sure the best thing with the new Ultimates seems to be the new tires. I wonder how much they cost vs the normal xmaxx/xrt tires.

I have the Louise X-Rocket road tires on my Kraton 8s now so it will be intresting with every power increase I do now.
Stock copperhead 2 is good allrounder but not (belted). Backflips on Outcast is good for what it is supposed to be.

Burned out on old Traxxas garbage included rtr tires :D

Update:

Think I found the cause. Installed the cover without the diff. Tried to wriggle it sideways with pliers. No chance. Nothing moving. So there is no reason the get the aluminium upgrade for that reason. Then installed the broken differential and put the rear cover on. No moving sideways with shims. But moving back and forward certainly. More on the side where with no shims. As much play as a badly shimmed differential. Broken gears basically guaranteed. Never even thought about checking play in the forward/backward direction.

So either the top rear bulkhead or the cover is not fitting right resulting in play in the forward / backward direction while the sideways play is shimmed away. I assume the cover is not manufactured according to specifications / faulty production. Will get a new plastic cover or file down the old one to check. And obviously check if the same thing happens with the new one and file that one down in necessary.

Certainly do have a collection of some broken ones. This is not even all of them. Hope I solved that problem...

20240218_225041.jpg

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Back