Traxxas Summit New ESC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RelaxC

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Notorious
  3. Typhon 6s
Hey all, hoping I can get some help on this issue.

I have a Traxxas Summit that I recently replaced the stock ESC with a Hobbywing Quicrun 880. The ESC seems to work great, but I have a problem with the steering servo, which is a Power HD 20KG. With the new ESC, the steering servo will buzz and chatter anytime the unit is turned on. This is strange as it wasn't doing this with the original ESC, and I've rechecked it still doesn't. The shift servos are behaving normally, so I find this really odd. If I connect a different steering servo, it is quiet and centers immediately. I wouldn't really care, except the servo gets fairly hot after the unit being on for 5-10 minutes, even if it isn't being driven.

Is it possible for a servo/ESC/receiver combo to not be compatible? The receiver has been the same in both configurations. Could the ESC have an issue (not sure how likely this is as it's just sending BEC power to the receiver.

Thanks.

Sounds like a servo issue, not an ESC issue. Either the ESC supplies the proper voltage for the servo or it doesn't. You can validate that the servo's voltage range can accept whatever the ESC is putting out and that's about it (IE, servo voltage range is say 6.0v to 8.4v, and the ESC puts out 7.2v). There's not much middle ground. Over time servo's can go bad and start to buzz, from what i've experienced. I wouldn't be concerned, it will be just more of an annoyance than a problem.

Thanks guys.

Today I tried powering the servo from a servo tester, no noise, powered the receiver from the power supply (to eliminate the ESC), no noise.
Reconnected everything, buzzing like crazy. Then I tested the ESC BEC with a multimeter, 6.05V just as per the specs.

This is so weird, something about the specific ESC/receiver/servo combo is resulting in this.

Thanks guys.

Today I tried powering the servo from a servo tester, no noise, powered the receiver from the power supply (to eliminate the ESC), no noise.
Reconnected everything, buzzing like crazy. Then I tested the ESC BEC with a multimeter, 6.05V just as per the specs.

This is so weird, something about the specific ESC/receiver/servo combo is resulting in this.
Does the noise persist if you lift the front of the car off the ground?

You're not by chance running two steering servos, are you?

Well, I went as far as replacing the ESC to eliminate the possibility of a faulty unit. It didn’t fix/change the issue.

The more I’ve read on this, it can be caused by switching style BECs, as they introduce noise to systems. There is a lot of info out there on this, but the reality is that it’s common/normal. I’m guessing the BEC in the Traxxas original ESC was a linear style, which are not likely to introduce noise into systems/circuits.

Appreciate the suggestions and help along the way forum buds!

Back