New traxxas 4x4 vxl ultimate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Highly doubt the rear shock cap popped off as that has GTR shocks not Ultra shocks.

FWIW my Slashpede 4x4 has been far more reliable than either of my Arrma 4x4s, they have been so bad that I want to trade them both off for a Slash.

Slashpede 4x4 has been in my possession since 2019.
I have broken one pair of the stock non HD rear driveshafts, 1 steering bellcrank, 1 front c hub, bent a 3 rear outer hinge pins, broke 3 of the standard a arms and 2 of the HD a arms.
On the Arrmas, one purchased late 2018 the other purchased pre covid 2020. I have broken 5 sets of driveshafts, 4 front c hubs, 8 a arms, 8 rpm a arms, 4 front bumper springs, 2 front bumpers on the Senton, 1 rear bumper on the Senton, 6 pairs of camber links/ tie rods and enough motor bearings to buy another Arrma 4x4.
I only broke two camber links in 5 years with my v1 kraton and none on my v2. The motor bearings i switch them to better one and clean and oil it every few month to avoid the dust of death destroying it. Learned my lesson but HH saved my ass when they failed

Highly doubt the rear shock cap popped off as that has GTR shocks not Ultra shocks.

FWIW my Slashpede 4x4 has been far more reliable than either of my Arrma 4x4s, they have been so bad that I want to trade them both off for a Slash.

Slashpede 4x4 has been in my possession since 2019.
I have broken one pair of the stock non HD rear driveshafts, 1 steering bellcrank, 1 front c hub, bent a 3 rear outer hinge pins, broke 3 of the standard a arms and 2 of the HD a arms.
On the Arrmas, one purchased late 2018 the other purchased pre covid 2020. I have broken 5 sets of driveshafts, 4 front c hubs, 8 a arms, 8 rpm a arms, 4 front bumper springs, 2 front bumpers on the Senton, 1 rear bumper on the Senton, 6 pairs of camber links/ tie rods and enough motor bearings to buy another Arrma 4x4.

You've got a point about the gtr shocks. Still, its what my mind made me see.

Did you see my comment as an attack on traxxas?
Bro I gotta slash 4x4 and its a literal tank. I preach that truck and the abuse I've put it through. Just keeps going and doesn't care 🤣
I've had it 3 years. I've broken 1 stub axle, and I broke a rod end at the same time. Didn't even bend the rod! Thats it..
I send that thing like it owes me somethin.

I do however pop shock tops pretty consistently... I've never needed to actually replace them but it would probably help as the threads have gotta be taking some abuse 🤣

Bro I gotta slash 4x4 and its a literal tank. I preach that truck and the abuse I've put it through. Just keeps going and doesn't care 🤣
I've had it 3 years. I've broken 1 stub axle, and I broke a rod end at the same time. Didn't even bend the rod! Thats it..

I do however pop shock tops pretty consistently... I've never needed to actually replace them but it would probably help as the threads have gotta be taking some abuse 🤣
I could write a book on what went wrong with my rustler. Title of it. The Rustler, a rolling poop on wheels

I feel like including the telemetry is a pricey gimmick for people new to rc's. Having it available is fine but making it mandatory with the rig is greedy IMO.

You mean like HH is trying to do with their models? Forcing everyone to buy their batteries to use the telemetry that is included with the car. At least with Traxxas I can use any battery I want and all of the telemetry still works.

I only broke two camber links in 5 years with my v1 kraton and none on my v2. The motor bearings i switch them to better one and clean and oil it every few month to avoid the dust of death destroying it. Learned my lesson but HH saved my ass when they failed

I broke and bent camber and steering links left and right, swapped in the Traxxas ones and haven't had an issue since. I tried everything with the motor bearings including buying $45 in motor bearings from Boca and the damn things were destroyed in 4 packs. You say every few months for me it was every week changing out the bearings in the motor if the damn things even made it through a pack without breaking.
I could write a book on what went wrong with my rustler. Title of it. The Rustler, a rolling poop on wheels
Sounds like my book on the Typhon and Senton 3s. Out of 28 or so cars the only 2 I absolutely hate and would rather watch burn than sink any more money into them.

No I did not see your post as an attack on Traxxas.

Trust me when I tell you this get GTR shocks and VG Racing springs it's like $90 all in but worth every penny.

You mean like HH is trying to do with their models? Forcing everyone to buy their batteries to use the telemetry that is included with the car. At least with Traxxas I can use any battery I want and all of the telemetry still works.

I broke and bent camber and steering links left and right, swapped in the Traxxas ones and haven't had an issue since. I tried everything with the motor bearings including buying $45 in motor bearings from Boca and the damn things were destroyed in 4 packs. You say every few months for me it was every week changing out the bearings in the motor if the damn things even made it through a pack without breaking.

Sounds like my book on the Typhon and Senton 3s. Out of 28 or so cars the only 2 I absolutely hate and would rather watch burn than sink any more money into them.

No I did not see your post as an insult to Traxxas.

Trust me when I tell you this get GTR shocks and VG Racing springs it's like $90 all in but worth every penny.
Dude u cant make this up. Traxxas designs their trucks to fix their lipos. They don't give a dam about any other brand of lipos. The rustler was a perfect example. They deisgned the tray to fit their new incoming 138mm short pack. They didnt even had it released yet but were marketting for it. Overpriced lipos and you cannot charge them if you do not have a weird adapter or a traxxas charger. The spektrum stuff you are free to do anything you want if u want spektrum crap ur free to put that lipo in. The spektrum Stuff is an option and up to the user to decide if he wants ir or not, with traxxas they pull every stop in their design and marketting to make you buy their overpriced charger and lipos who is only designed to fit their lipos. for the price of their charger you can buy a charger who has all the perks and features you could ever wish for.

I use 10$ ceramic hybrid acer racing bearings. I only ever had 1 seize on me. It was weird i used silicone oil as a lubricant on it. Locked in 2 runs. I have one bearing i retired who was a year or so old. The others i have been recycling them on other motors. I did own a typhon and a bigrock once converted into 4s never had an issue with them other than a popped axle. Sold it because it was just another kraton 4s at the end

Last edited:
Dude u cant make this up. Traxxas designs their trucks to fix their lipos. They don't give a dam about any other brand of lipos. The rustler was a perfect example. They deisgned the tray to fit their new incoming 138mm short pack. They didnt even had it released yet but were marketting for it. Overpriced lipos and you cannot charge them if you do not have a weird adapter or a traxxas charger. The spektrum stuff you are free to do anything you want if u want spektrum crap ur free to put that lipo in. The spektrum Stuff is an option and up to the user to decide if he wants ir or not, with traxxas they pull every stop in their design and marketting to make you buy their overpriced charger and lipos who is only designed to fit their lipos. for the price of their charger you can buy a charger who has all the perks and features you could ever wish for.

I use 10$ ceramic hybrid acer racing bearings. I only ever had 1 seize on me. It was weird i used silicone oil as a lubricant on it. Locked in 2 runs. I have one bearing i retired who was a year or so old. The others i have been recycling them on other motors. I did own a typhon and a bigrock once converted into 4s never had an issue with them other than a popped axle. Sold it because it was just another kraton 4s at the end

You can run whatever battery you want in a Traxxas car, most every aftermarket battery maker makes their batteries specifically for Traxxas cars, it would be completely idiotic of them not too do so, It would be like a spark plug manufacturer not making spark plugs for a Toyota Camery. I have 6 Traxxas vehicles and only 1 Traxxas battery because it came with the car, all of the rest of them use lipos from every company from CNHL to Zop. And at least you can charge Traxxas lipos on a none Traxxas charger all you need is the adapter that Traxxas makes and will sell you. You can only use a Spektrum charger to charge the Spektrum lipos there are no adapters to use a different charger and there likely never will be.

Literally every time I would open up the motor module it would be filled with crap, tried every "fix" available and it still filled up super quick.

You can run whatever battery you want in a Traxxas car, most every aftermarket battery maker makes their batteries specifically for Traxxas cars, it would be completely idiotic of them not too do so, It would be like a spark plug manufacturer not making spark plugs for a Toyota Camery. I have 6 Traxxas vehicles and only 1 Traxxas battery because it came with the car, all of the rest of them use lipos from every company from CNHL to Zop. And at least you can charge Traxxas lipos on a none Traxxas charger all you need is the adapter that Traxxas makes and will sell you. You can only use a Spektrum charger to charge the Spektrum lipos there are no adapters to use a different charger and there likely never will be.

Literally every time I would open up the motor module it would be filled with crap, tried every "fix" available and it still filled up super quick.
Before the G2 lipos you could use a normal charger to charge them. Idgaf about either of them. Both trying to sell garbage overpriced lipos that puff in a few months
An idea i heard is taping the non used motor mounting holes to prevent more of the dirt to get in

Soooooo…..
How about that local football/baseball team? I hear smith is looking good this year. 😬

The new Traxxas rig comes with the telemetry, not optional. Im not aware of any Arrma models that force you to buy the telemetry, they all come with crappy SLT3 teansmitters. Spektrum telemetry is a separate add on purchase, you aren't forced to purchase it with the rig unless I missed something which is always a possibility. 😎

So its a Rustler 4x4 with the hop-up parts installed by the factory for over $500. Not really seeing the benefit. You can pickup an Arrma 4s platform for $500 or less. Or for $40 more you can pickup a Maxx which is a far better platform in my opinion.
Or spend $20 more and get a 6s Kraton, granted batteries will be more expensive but much larger, powerful vehicles.

Before the G2 lipos you could use a normal charger to charge them. Idgaf about either of them. Both trying to sell garbage overpriced lipos that puff in a few months
An idea i heard is taping the non used motor mounting holes to prevent more of the dirt to get in

Been there done that.
I tried velcro on the bottom of the motor module, completely sealed the motor module with rtv, taped over the extra motor holes in the motor, oring under the pinion and even cut a slot under the spur so the crap would at least fall out.

The new Traxxas rig comes with the telemetry, not optional. Im not aware of any Arrma models that force you to buy the telemetry, they all come with crappy SLT3 teansmitters. Spektrum telemetry is a separate add on purchase, you aren't forced to purchase it with the rig unless I missed something which is always a possibility. 😎

So you are complaining that they include the telemetry stuff with the car? I'm not sure how including it with the car means it's forced upon you, you don't have to use it to use the car.

Not all of them come with the SLT3 radio. The Vorteks, Kraton 8s and Outcast 8s come with the DX3 which has voltage telemetry included but you can only use it if you use Spektrum batteries. So HH is in fact forcing things upon you. And again at least you can use the Traxxas telemetry without having to buy their batteries too as their voltage telemetry works similar Radiolink.

Traxxas, here's a cup and come coke you have to get your own ice. We recommend our brand of ice but you don't have to use it.

HH, here's a cup get your own coke and you have to use our ice.

Last edited:
So you are complaining that they include the telemetry stuff with the car? I'm not sure how including it with the car means it's forced upon you, you don't have to use it to use the car.

Not all of them come with the SLT3 radio. The Vorteks, Kraton 8s and Outcast 8s come with the DX3 which has voltage telemetry included but you can only use it if you use Spektrum batteries. So HH is in fact forcing things upon you. And again at least you can use the Traxxas telemetry without having to buy their batteries too as their voltage telemetry works similar Radiolink.
Not complaining, I was suggesting the telemetry must be a big reason they decided to go over $500 for a 3s rig. If it adds to the total price and you can't buy the rig without it, yes that is forcing it on you IF you really want the rig itself. Sure you can toss it aside and/or ignore it, but you still paid for it. None of the 3s Rustlers came with the telemetry before, it was a $129 add on. A $529 price tag for a 3s rig is steep, some may think its worth it, personally I don't. A little more money and you could have a Maxx.

Didn't know the Vorteks was different than other 3s rigs and don't know much about the 8s Arrma lineup since I don't have the money/space for one. No I wouldn't like being forced to buy it from HH if I were wanting one of the rigs that come with it either.

Last edited:
Not complaining, I was suggesting the telemetry must be a big reason they decided to go over $500 for a 3s rig. If it adds to the total price and you can't buy the rig without it, yes that is forcing it on you IF you really want the rig itself. Sure you can toss it aside and/or ignore it, but you still paid for it. None of the 3s Rustlers came with the telemetry before, it was a $129 add on. A $529 price tag for a 3s rig is steep, some may think its worth it, personally I don't. A little more money and you could have a Maxx.

Didn't know the Vorteks was different than other 3s rigs and don't know much about the 8s Arrma lineup since I don't have the money/space for one. No I wouldn't like being forced to buy it from HH if I were wanting one of the rigs that come with it either.

You can buy the Traxxas Rustler without any of the telemetry.

I was commenting on this Rustler Ultimate and its not optional on the one my comments were about.

You can buy a different Rustler without it but I wasnt talking about other Rustlers.

"Rustler® 4X4 VXL revolutionized the stadium truck experience with its tough-as-nails chassis and 4-wheel drive traction. Rustler 4X4 VXL Ultimate takes it to the next level with more strength, more technology, and more fun! Outfitted with over $400 in premium upgrades, Rustler 4X4 VXL Ultimate is like a whole new truck. Experience the pinnacle of stadium truck performance with Rustler 4X4 VXL Ultimate."

With $400 premium upgrades for free :D or close to it :D How much was the old Rustler?
Imagine buying it the day before.

If you do a Xmaxx ultimate with $800 premium upgrades for free I will buy.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back