New traxxas 4x4 vxl ultimate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surchaufeur

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Nero
  4. Notorious
For anyone who knows me. This was the car i entered the hobby With. A complete joke of a car that couldnt even run on flat pavement without breaking axles . Traxxas has now released an ultimate version today despite it being upgraded and “premium”, the axles look exactly thr same as the old “HD” ones. You are still missing standard basic features like a fan on the ESC and motor. Retail of 529.99USD
https://traxxas.com/products/landing/rustler-4x4-ultimate/

So its a Rustler 4x4 with the hop-up parts installed by the factory for over $500. Not really seeing the benefit. You can pickup an Arrma 4s platform for $500 or less. Or for $40 more you can pickup a Maxx which is a far better platform in my opinion.

I never had a problem with the non-hd driveshafts or axles on my 2wd Stampede until I slapped a 4s setup on it. And they broke like dry twigs. Upgraded to Tekno shafts/axles in the back and Team A front axles and haven't broke one since even running a 4068 motor and heavy belted tires.

The upside with Traxxas is there are more upgrade options than any other brand. The downside? If you bash hard you'll need most of them, lol.

I never had a problem with the non-hd driveshafts or axles on my 2wd Stampede until I slapped a 4s setup on it. And they broke like dry twigs. Upgraded to Tekno shafts/axles in the back and Team A front axles and haven't broke one since even running a 4068 motor and heavy belted tires.

The upside with Traxxas is there are more upgrade options than any other brand. The downside? If you bash hard you'll need most of them, lol.
Those axles were designed for brushed power. They carried them over to their 3s brushless trucks. They updated them on the rustler 4x4 vxl but they STILL broke like twigs front and rear

No, it’s supposed to be spelled traxass.
Lol, sounds about right. I find Traxass 2wd rigs the best rigs for 3s all things considered but wouldn't bother with any of their 4x4 bashers.
Arrma makes the best 6s lineup, I wouldnt buy a 3s Arrma again. 4s seems good but too close to 6s price and not as many uprade options.

Those axles were designed for brushed power. They carried them over to their 3s brushless trucks. They updated them on the rustler 4x4 vxl but they STILL broke like twigs front and rear
I ran 3s with a Max10 and 3652 motor for months without breaking a stock driveshaft or axle, don't know why they held up for me because Ive seen plenty of complaints about them being garbage.

I guess its like the arrma 3s slipper. Some people have zero problems but I broke several of them including breaking one in less than 5 minutes straight out of the box. 🤷‍♂️

Looking at this new Traxass I'm betting the included telemetry is a big reason for the bloated price tag. $529 is ridiculous.

Lol, sounds about right. I find Traxass 2wd rigs the best rigs for 3s all things considered but wouldn't bother with any of their 4x4 bashers.
Arrma makes the best 6s lineup, I wouldnt buy a 3s Arrma again. 4s seems good but too close to 6s price and not as many uprade options.

I ran 3s with a Max10 and 3652 motor for months without breaking a stock driveshaft or axle, don't know why they held up for me because Ive seen plenty of complaints about them being garbage.

I guess its like the arrma 3s slipper. Some people have zero problems but I broke several of them including breaking one in less than 5 minutes straight out of the box. 🤷‍♂️

Looking at this new Traxass I'm betting the included telemetry is a big reason for the bloated price tag. $529 is ridiculous.
I’m no fanboi of arrma. I wouldn’t buy a new either one. I should’ve never gotten that K8. That led to 3 more rtr’s just because I was bored at the beginning of RONA. Rona brought me out of retirement 😂

I have 8 Traxxas rigs, and they’re fine. My sledge is more M2C than Traxxas these days, and the Xmaxx is kind of a mutant, built of mostly aftermarket parts, but I love that platform.

That being said, I also own a Raptor R, which is basically a long wheelbase Slash. So far, the driveshafts have held up to my Max10 4000kv combo on 3s, which shocked me. The whole truck is holding up fine, although I replaced all of the electronics. I loathe Traxxas electronics. They’re always first to go in every Traxxas rig I buy. I dislike the stock plastic shocks as well, although their upgraded shocks are really nice. My overall view of the truck? It’s decent. It drives well since I added the center diff, which should have been included with a $550 truck. Without the diff, it handled like a wounded rhino.

The bottom line is: the stock Raptor R should have came with the center diff and GTR shocks at that price point. Out of the box, in my opinion, it should have been $350-$400 max. It’s a great truck, now. But I have $750 invested in it total (not counting electronics) to make it great, and my bone stock Mojave 4s still smokes it in every conceivable way, for $500. So value for money is the Slash platform’s Achilles heel. I doubt I ever buy another 1/10 Traxxas for that reason. I do have a terrible Xmaxx addiction though….

The u join flexed the plastic on the rear axles. I can see them stretching and stretching every run until i lost drive. There was nothing i could do to prevent it from happening. The plastic just shadders

a gimmick.
I don't understand the telemtry thing i cant remove my eyes from my rc even for a sec. If i do i will crash watching how fast im going with a flimsy phone mount is a receipt for disaster even for a second. 529$ no matter what is an inflated price for a 3s truck that is good at nothing in particular. that wheelie bar will destroy the rear of the body because of the genius idea to make it flexible and smash it into the body everytime you do a wheelie or land on it. My rustler had a massive hole and tears alonng the wing in no time

Last edited:
I swear at 1:18 when they dropped it- it looked like the right rear shock top popped. Looked like it was leaning.

Maybe its just the fact that happens so much thats making me see that. 🤔🤣
Highly doubt the rear shock cap popped off as that has GTR shocks not Ultra shocks.

FWIW my Slashpede 4x4 has been far more reliable than either of my Arrma 4x4s, they have been so bad that I want to trade them both off for a Slash.

Slashpede 4x4 has been in my possession since 2019.
I have broken one pair of the stock non HD rear driveshafts, 1 steering bellcrank, 1 front c hub, bent a 3 rear outer hinge pins, broke 3 of the standard a arms and 2 of the HD a arms.
On the Arrmas, one purchased late 2018 the other purchased pre covid 2020. I have broken 5 sets of driveshafts, 4 front c hubs, 8 a arms, 8 rpm a arms, 4 front bumper springs, 2 front bumpers on the Senton, 1 rear bumper on the Senton, 6 pairs of camber links/ tie rods and enough motor bearings to buy another Arrma 4x4.

Last edited:
I don't understand the telemtry thing i cant remove my eyes from my rc even for a sec. If i do i will crash watching how fast im going with a flimsy phone mount is a receipt for disaster even for a second. 529$ no matter what is an inflated price for a 3s truck that is good at nothing in particular.
I feel like including the telemetry is a pricey gimmick for people new to rc's. Having it available is fine but making it mandatory with the rig is greedy IMO.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back