Paint Schemes gone wrong ? High hopes down the toilet.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxfan69

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. BigRock 4x4
  3. Granite
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Kraton EXB
  6. Mojave EXB
  7. Senton 3s
  8. Senton Mega
Im sure its not just me, but as I am learning to paint its a bummer when an idea in your mind turns out to be a turd in real life, especially after all the prep and effort LOL. This is my 3rd body to paint, and I knew what colors I wanted but struggled with a scheme and finally sketched it and painted it last weekend. Put it on my Senton today and just don't care for it already ha ha.

Anyone else have a paint scheme that didn't quite turn out like you thought it would? I see mine now as a cross between a circus clown truck and something from Nitro Circus...neither of which was my goal LOL.
72 C10 Hoons.png

72 C10 Top.png

Im sure its not just me, but as I am learning to paint its a bummer when an idea in your mind turns out to be a turd in real life, especially after all the prep and effort LOL. This is my 3rd body to paint, and I knew what colors I wanted but struggled with a scheme and finally sketched it and painted it last weekend. Put it on my Senton today and just don't care for it already ha ha.

Anyone else have a paint scheme that didn't quite turn out like you thought it would? I see mine now as a cross between a circus clown truck and something from Nitro Circus...neither of which was my goal LOL.
View attachment 150599

View attachment 150600
If the yellow was white instead it would have been perfect

one of those times when the final result isn...'t greater than the sum of its parts:confused:

Really like some of the individual parts... Nice job ;) and I sooo wanna use neon Yellow, so I get where ya comin from, Look at it this way, at least you've stopped me doing a Union Flag on the roof of a Neon Yellow Truck :D

But I agree it don't quite work so feel your pain...
noooo can't say I have. Not 2 times at all. Nope not me.... frickin ski jackets from the 90's
Saved By The Bell 90S GIF

View attachment 150605

View attachment 150606
Yup, My Missus had a pastel version of a Fila Tracksuit..... and My work colleague had the same Ski Jacket rofl

Sometimes less is more?? Don’t give up. Just bash the sh!t out of that body. I agree that the green should have been white... Keep at it!

View attachment 150599

View attachment 150600
Why i usually just do a simple single color. Haha. The colors may not work but the application is great. How are those hoons holing up?

View attachment 150599

View attachment 150600
Nice, neat job. Sorry it’s not what you want. If it means anything, I like the colors. Maybe a few scale sized stickers like nitro funnycars have on the sides.

Why i usually just do a simple single color. Haha. The colors may not work but the application is great. How are those hoons holing up?
Very strong tire but a little less grip than I want. Think I’ll hit the softer compound (gold lettering I think) next time.

Amen to single colors. I did a purple Jeep Rubicon body for the wifes Granite and its perfect in her eyes ;-)
Sometimes less is more?? Don’t give up. Just bash the sh!t out of that body. I agree that the green should have been white... Keep at it!
Heck yes to bash it all afternoon until it has some nice rash and a few cracks even LOL. That in turn gave me the motivation to get the body scissors out and go full on short course/truggy wheels on it. Opened the fenders up, cut the front and rear open, and Im loving it now. Also did a little bandaid gorilla tape over the bed and red permanent maker on some of the white. Oh buddy...good times !!!
F801B5D7-72AF-4466-80A8-81D113FEBF9D.jpeg

F229673A-60CE-4027-887E-9AB6617ED02A.jpeg

Last edited:
I like detailed bodies. I don't like my kraton exb body much now. The front looks meh colors are meh. Thats why im not fan of dark colors once your body loses its shine a bit it becomes boring. If your going to make a a body dark keep it one color. I don't have the money and the equipment to make bodies myself
All the exb shiny spots are now gone. Unless you get binoculars. I want a blue body but im scared of getting the curse of the arrma v4🤣. And my limit for the month on rc already
shoe goo or e6000 become rly expensive after a while. I think i ate 5 tubees 2-3 on my mojave and 2 on my kraton exb. Like that stuff isnt cheap here. I ahve yet to find something superior or as good to e6000 for less money

@mxfan69 ... the main thing is you tried, if you learned from your mistakes ( or wild imagination 😉 ) trust me the next one will be better..!!
My top tip, less is more 👍🏼
I have to ask, did you use liquid mask or tape ?? If it was tape, you're my hero because I just wouldn't have the patience to do all that masking..!!

Yaaa
@mxfan69 ... the main thing is you tried, if you learned from your mistakes ( or wild imagination 😉 ) trust me the next one will be better..!!
My top tip, less is more 👍🏼
I have to ask, did you use liquid mask or tape ?? If it was tape, you're my hero because I just wouldn't have the patience to do all that masking..!!
Yaaaayyyy im a hero...

yeah I masked it with painter tape even though I have a half bottle of liquid mask. Did one body with the liquid and feel that I cut too many weak points in that body while scratching in the layout (flames on that one). Seriously thinkkng about jumping in neck deep and buying an air brush set up and getting away from the rattle can biz.

Hey fwiw I love them!!! They are wild and different. Something no one else has. And that counts for something. I mean sure it may not be your normal shelf queen 2 tone or single color with a stripe. But again... Yours are unique and I think they look awesome! And the quality of your paint skills far far surpasses anything I've ever done!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back