Perfect Pass Speed Run Springs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed, and I think you will still need the travel limiters. I guess we will see when people start to get them and put out some reviews.
So mine just came in, have you used them yet, I'm debating on removing the limiters or not

So mine just came in, have you used them yet, I'm debating on removing the limiters or not
I'd remove them (I'll be removing mine when these arrive). Raz says you don't need 'em with these springs and I know he isn't just saying it for the sake of saying it so I'll take him at his word. Get them set up correctly and you shouldn't need them.

With the cost of these rigs I would still want travel limiters. Maybe I am just an old-school guy like he is talking about.
My setup is so consistent and reliable I wont be messing with it....

I'd remove them (I'll be removing mine when these arrive). Raz says you don't need 'em with these springs and I know he isn't just saying it for the sake of saying it so I'll take him at his word. Get them set up correctly and you shouldn't need them.

With the cost of these rigs I would still want travel limiters. Maybe I am just an old-school guy like he is talking about.
Did anyone who ordered the new rlaaro on road car get theirs yet, I'm waiting patiently but hasn't even shipped yet

Did anyone who ordered the new rlaaro on road car get theirs yet, I'm waiting patiently but hasn't even shipped yet
It appears they are purposely delaying things so their bigger supporters who they sent early metal chassis versions to, can get some videos online before anyone else. I am expecting mid-month most likely at the earliest.

I presume everyone watched the release video but I'll restate that he takes that Limitless up to 186mph with nothing but his new spings installed. I think it's safe to say that, when set up correctly, limiting of the shocks (some judicious use of the droop screws notwithstanding) is no longer needed which, I presume, was one of the primary goals in the development of these springs. To make the process of suspension/shock setup easier, more consistent and reliable with less variables. That's what I'm getting anyways.
I believe the term you are looking for is "fuddy-duddy". :LOL:

I kid bro...I just felt like saying fuddy-duddy.

I presume everyone watched the release video but I'll restate that he takes that Limitless up to 186mph with nothing but his new spings installed. I think it's safe to say that, when set up correctly, limiting of the shocks (some judicious use of the droop screws notwithstanding) is no longer needed which, I presume, was one of the primary goals in the development of these springs. To make the process of suspension/shock setup easier, more consistent and reliable with less variables. That's what I'm getting anyways.

I was supprised to see how much wheel hop he has on that runway.
My road is considerably smoother by comparison.

I think that is where these springs will shine is for people who need that suspension travel.

Oh, my problem is I work all the time and the rest I spend with my 4 year so it's hard to find a spot

Same here except I have 3 kids and 3 jobs. Plus bad weather/high winds usually stops me.
I went out to run my car around 10 times all of 2022.

Currently I can go if I take time off from work/holiday or early Saturday mornings waking up around 6am. Its a sacrifice for sure, but I love the hobby....

I was supprised to see how much wheel hop he has on that runway.
My road is considerably smoother by comparison.
Runways aren't as smooth as we all envision them before our mind's eye. And if you think about it for a moment, it kinda makes sense. They're generally used by vehicles that are considerably heavier than your typical sedan (in the case of commercial flights often much heavier) and the runway has to be designed to take the punishment of one of these behemoths lumbering from one end to the other, fully loaded. If the damage that 40 ton trucks do to highways in fairly short order are any indication, it becomes clear that these things need to be engineered and constructed with durability in mind and not how supple they are. Furthermore, since they only spend a small fraction of their travel time on the runway during takeoff and landing...why should they go through the trouble of making a supremely smooth surface? Those big, soft beachball tires found on planes are sure to mitigate the rest.

The runway, though not smooth in terms of the surface, does offer a few other benefits...not the least of which that there is nothing (almost) as far as the eye can see that you could hit with your car (other than you and your buddies who stand either in the middle of the runway or just on one side of the runway under some lightweight sun shields). To be fair, the ground is enough of an obstacle to come into contact with during a crash that can still really put the hurt on your car at 150mph+ but, aside from a few low grade shrubberies, there's nothing but asphalt, dirt and sand for you to hit should you find your speed build making a less than graceful exit, stage left.

The other benefits are its sheer width and straightness which gives you lots of real estate to work with. There are far smoother roads to be had out in the real world, but the dimensions and relative solitude are still pretty compelling reasons to make the trip to the runway on go-fast days.

Runways aren't as smooth as we all envision them before our mind's eye. And if you think about it for a moment, it kinda makes sense. They're generally used by vehicles that are considerably heavier than your typical sedan (in the case of commercial flights often much heavier) and the runway has to be designed to take the punishment of one of these behemoths lumbering from one end to the other, fully loaded. If the damage that 40 ton trucks do to highways in fairly short order, it becomes clear that these things need to be engineered and constructed with durability in mind and not how supple they are. Furthermore, since they only spend a small fraction of their travel time on the runway during takeoff and landing...why should they go through the trouble of making a supremely smooth surface? Those big, soft beachball tires found on planes are sure to mitigate the rest.

The runway, though not smooth in terms of the surface, does offer a few other benefits...not the least of which that there is nothing (almost) as far as the eye can see that you could hit with your car (other than you and your buddies who stand either in the middle of the runway or just on one side of the runway under some lightweight sun shields). To be fair, the ground is enough of an obstacle to come into contact with during a crash that can still really put the hurt on your car at 150mph+ but, aside from a few low grade shrubberies) there's nothing but asphalt, dirt and sand for you to hit should you find your speed build making a less than graceful exit, stage left.

The other benefits are its sheer width and straightness which gives you lots of real estate to work with. There are far smoother roads to be had out in the real world, but the dimensions and relative solitude are still pretty compelling reasons to make the trip to the runway on go-fast days.
Yes, I could see that big impacts on landing would cause an issue.
I originally was thinking my ticket to success would be a big event where I could get my car on a runway. Now that I have an amazing road don't see that I am held back from that issue. Recently seeing the issues with high-speed runs I found a happy spot running low-cell. Fewer crashes and tire issues.

Yes, I could see that big impacts on landing would cause an issue.
I originally was thinking my ticket to success would be a big event where I could get my car on a runway. Now that I have an amazing road don't see that I am held back from that issue. Recently seeing the issues with high-speed runs I found a happy spot running low-cell. Fewer crashes and tire issues.
Big events aren't a panacea. Their rarity alone and the fact that they're never in your neck of the woods would make for the slimmest of pickings. There's no way to practice for the event and its environment which, I suspect, would only ramp the pressure to perform during those events up to an unbearable level that would, most likely, kill any pleasure you might have gotten out of it otherwise if you were making passes elsewhere during the year and the event was just the icing of each season's speed run cake. You'd be done with speed running after one season. Two, at most, if you're a proper masochist.

Ye of much faith! I’m looking forward to trying them, but I’ll most likely be leaving the limiters in place. At least for now. If the springs do everything he says, that’s awesome. But in the mean time, a small nylon bushings on the shock shaft would really make no difference anyway if the springs will indeed limit the travel. So I’ll go for $0.10 of insurance on my $2K rig. 😊
Much for the same reason that I’d never sleep behind the wheel of a self-driving vehicle. I just don’t have that much faith, man. An ounce of prevention, yada yada yada.

Ye of much faith! I’m looking forward to trying them, but I’ll most likely be leaving the limiters in place. At least for now. If the springs do everything he says, that’s awesome. But in the mean time, a small nylon bushings on the shock shaft would really make no difference anyway if the springs will indeed limit the travel. So I’ll go for $0.10 of insurance on my $2K rig. 😊
Much for the same reason that I’d never sleep behind the wheel of a self-driving vehicle. I just don’t have that much faith, man. An ounce of prevention, yada yada yada.
*Diem Turner puts a second mark in a column labeled "fuddy-duddy"

Don't mind me over here, you all do as you see fit and set up your car in whatever way makes you feel the most comfortable. I'm just looking forward to clean shocks with no garnish needed that work :)

*Diem Turner puts a second mark in a column labeled "fuddy-duddy"

Don't mind me over here, you all do as you see fit and set up your car in whatever way makes you feel the most comfortable. I'm just looking forward to clean shocks with no garnish needed that work :)
I’m thinking it must be smoother over there in Wienerslider. Our VT roads are way less than groovy, especially coming out of winter. Frost heaves, etc. I’m honestly looking very forward to the modicum of suspension compliance that I think these springs will lend. Maybe when it’s set up and I can squish down the back of the car my fears will be negated and I too can enjoy naked shafts in the rear. Ummm, wait, that didn’t come out right…

Last edited:
Does the bushing go inside or outside of the shock body? In other words, in which direction should travel be limited?
Many people do both. The internal one would set the ride height like the droop screw does.
The idea there is that over time the droop screw has full tension of the spring on it and the arms will bend.

The exterior one stops the compression travel with high downforce/speed.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back