Kraton Pillow ball caps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thread seal tape (also known as PTFE tape, Teflon tape, or plumber's tape) is a polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) film tape commonly used in plumbing for sealing pipe threads. ... Thread seal tape lubricates allowing for a deeper seating of the threads, and it helps prevent the threads from seizing when being unscrewed.

Fair enough. but regardless of how it seals it, it still seals it.. and its still better than non ptfe taped untightened. You can also get a knack for knowing how much tape to wrap for tightening the tolerances.. I work with it nearly every day.
Electrical tape doesn't work as well for the same purpose as its usually a bit too thick to get more than one wrap round, it also cuts too easy on deep threads causing it to jam up.

Last edited:
How are you guys preventing the red pillow ball adjusters from backing out all the time.....will the new adjusters fit on the the older models kraton and talion,,,,,,thisdrives me crazy.............tried Teflon tape etc.etc,,,,they even back out with new knuckles........any other suggestions? Thanks guys.....

Use shoegoo as lock tight with anything plastic. You can be generous with it and it works great! Does not degrade the plastic like locktight and can be applied all through out the rig whare screws tend to back out of plastic. ??

The Hot Racing pillow ball covers are less than $10. Or you splurge for the $25 M2C ones. I'm not sure why people are f@cking around with loctite, super glue or any other remedy. For as little as $10 your problem will be solved and you will get a superior insert to boot.

It does not create a seal. Ask any licensed plumber.

I'm a former licensed plumber (in fact i have learned to work on industrial cold room and plumbing in same time and i worked as a plumber in house building), here in my country we mainly use Teflon/PTFE for sealing.

Here the webpage of the product i use : http://www.geb.fr/fr/fiche.php?n=2.10.63.194.413

Google translate : "Sealing of metal threaded connections on sanitary hot and cold water pipes, as well as on water vapor." .

Last edited:
Thread seal tape (also known as PTFE tape, Teflon tape, or plumber's tape) is a polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) film tape commonly used in plumbing for sealing pipe threads. ... Thread seal tape lubricates allowing for a deeper seating of the threads, and it helps prevent the threads from seizing when being unscrewed.

Fair enough. but regardless of how it seals it, it still seals it.. and its still better than non ptfe taped untightened. You can also get a knack for knowing how much tape to wrap for tightening the tolerances.. I work with it nearly every day.
Electrical tape doesn't work as well for the same purpose as its usually a bit too thick to get more than one wrap round, it also cuts too easy on deep threads causing it to jam up.
D06362B1-42F6-43BC-BB85-6EC878CA425A.gif

You just made my point. Electrical tape will “jam up” the threads. Which is what people hope PTFE will do. You see, electrical tape has adhesive on one side. That’s what gums up the threads, keeping it from backing out. PTFE lubes the threads which makes it easier to come apart.
The Hot Racing pillow ball covers are less than $10. Or you splurge for the $25 M2C ones. I'm not sure why people are f@cking around with loctite, super glue or any other remedy. For as little as $10 your problem will be solved and you will get a superior insert to boot.
I don’t get it either. Why purposely use a lube tape to hold something together that you want to not come apart? I think the metal hubs or M2C solutions would both be good ideas. The metal hubs have the disadvantage of adding weight, but should add strength as well as keep the pivot ball nuts tight with TL. I also think the M2C solution is a simple approach that should work just as well.

Because, when it happen after the first run out of the box, that you find the pillow covers are almost falling out, and you want to use the car without wait to receive upgraded part, then you find an other solution, and if the solution works, then, you forget to buy an upgrade :LOL:

True.. definately the best long term solution...

View attachment 50103

You just made my point. Electrical tape will “jam up” the threads. Which is what people hope PTFE will do. You see, electrical tape has adhesive on one side. That’s what gums up the threads, keeping it from backing out. PTFE lubes the threads which makes it easier to come apart.

Yeah, electrical tape might work in some cases but if it jams up because its too thick before you even reach the balls you end up stripping out the thread.
Sure PTFE tape doesn't work for everyone if the thread has deteriorated too far but there are loads of people on here beyond Jym74 that have had success with it, so you shouldnt just blanket label it as a non solution. You are a ball hair away from calling them liars...

Yeah, electrical tape might work in some cases but if it jams up because its too thick before you even reach the balls you end up stripping out the thread.
Sure PTFE tape doesn't work for everyone if the thread has deteriorated too far but there are loads of people on here beyond Jym74 that have had success with it, so you shouldnt just blanket label it as a non solution. You are a ball hair away from calling them liars...
I’m just stating facts son. PTFE is a lubricant. It’s not an adhesive. If that ruffles your feathers that’s your problem. If you want to try holding something in place with a lubricant, knock your socks off. I would spend the few bucks and buy the M2C parts, but that’s just my 2 cents. If I was in the position to not have the budget or couldn’t wait, I would likely use some CA or electrical tape. If the electrical tape was too thick, I would simply cut some thinner strips. You may not need to cover the entire thread.

I’m just stating facts son. PTFE is a lubricant. It’s not an adhesive. If that ruffles your feathers that’s your problem. If you want to try holding something in place with a lubricant, knock your socks off. I would spend the few bucks and buy the M2C parts, but that’s just my 2 cents. If I was in the position to not have the budget or couldn’t wait, I would likely use some CA or electrical tape. If the electrical tape was too thick, I would simply cut some thinner strips. You may not need to cover the entire thread.

I'm just stating facts too dad.. doubt you are that old but whatever.

In the 17 months or so I've been here I've read probably two dozen posts of people using plumbers tape to help with that issue. Just sayin' And I would never use electrical tape. In any event, agree to disagree and let's move on ???

We use Teflon tape all the time at work. Even though it is a lubricant, it seals threads for airlines and pipes. It's lubricant properties prevent binding and make for easier removal. Never tried it with metal to plastic threads though. Ever since I upgraded to the HR ones I have not had any issues. The HR hub nuts can also be tightened down more eliminating slop.

carefully peen the last three threads a little of the cap with a small punch in a couple places. No tape no glue just a nice tight cap that never comes loose but can still be removed...

carefully peen the last three threads a little of the cap with a small punch in a couple places. No tape no glue just a nice tight cap that never comes loose but can still be removed...
I can get behind this one too. I would try this before any tapes or adhesives. ????

It does not create a seal. Ask any licensed plumber. It lubes the threads making it easier to fully tighten pipe to a point where it makes a complete seal. The threads make the seal, not the tape itself.

This is not entirely true.. The tape does create a seal.
Lets take my air compressor.. When i bought it, it didnt have the right hose connection on there..
So i unscrewed the wrong one.. Took the one i needed.. Both had the same length threads..
4 winding of PTFE tape.. And screwed the new one in.. But to get my open/closed turn knob in the desired direction.. I had to back it out 80% of a turn..

So the seal comes from the tape.. 8bar.. 3 years.. Never had a leak

Also.. Same story applies to my dishwasher tap and its wall connection plate..

No doubt about the fact that PTFE tape is used for sealing, it is the main purpose in plumbing. As said previously, if you want to ask to a licensed plumber, ask me, i'am a licensed plumber ^^.

But Jondilly1974 is right about the fact that PTFE have the property to have very low friction resistance, as i answered i don't doubt about that it is something known and it is counter intuitive to use it to lock a screw. But, the fact is, in some situations, when the screw is in static position, without that much constrain, that PTFE can lock a screw with the advantage of not destroy existing thread. It is used by many people, we can even find many youtube videos about this. Sure the PTFE won't lock a screw as threadlocker does, but for screws screwed inside plastic, without much constrain, it does the job.

For example, i won't use PTFE to lock a screw screwed in plastic, to attach a upper deck on a gearbox for example, in this situation, if the plastic thread is stripped, i would put a bigger screw, like replacing a M3 by a M4 or make a hole through the plastic to put a nut on the other side. But a cap isn't as easy to find, i have M3 and M4 in my toolbox, but not something which can replace arrma caps without having to buy it online. And if i want them for 10$, i must buy them from US, so they won't arrive in the next 2 or 3 days, but in 2 weeks in the best situation.

It was only my 2 cents tip as quick and cheap solution, i didn't think it would take this result on the forum ^^.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back