Talion Planted high speed basher: Talion EXB, Kraton or E-Revo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@parcou I was expecting your response to suggest the fire team! The talion may be better Street oriented or smoother conditions oriented. But it seems like a fire team, which is my favorite “if I can only have one“ car really fits the description. I’m sure both will be good… But I can’t imagine anything being much better than ripping balls across a bumpy field with a fire team. maybe a Mojave? I’ve never driven one.

Man, you got me. I was going to say that...I really was since the FT handles the ground so well it floats...but it is way too high and not low...this is the main reason why I did not...too tall

Edit
I agree with the FT....perfect so smaller tires like the LP Backflip could make the cut for you!

Last edited:
Fireteam, strip as much weight as possible, then you get to drive an XLWB car that wheelies/flips, that's fun....

PXL_20230409_180109212 (1).jpg

This was 22p/50s with 500k diff fluid leaking. I am going back down to 107 or 100mm wheels and different gearing.... with a spur, obv.
Man, you got me. I was going to say that...I really was since the FT handles the ground so well it floats...but it is way too high and not low...this is the main reason why I did not...too tall

Edit
I agree with the FT....perfect so smaller tires like the LP Backflip could make the cut for you!
I tried, and will likely try again, to slam the FT suspension but those wide arms exaggerate every little adjustment..........

Thanks for the Fireteam suggestions!
Tbh, I never really had an in-depth look at the Fireteam due to its looks, but after reading up on it and watching some vids, it might be the perfect fit indeed. Very long, very wide, well planted, good ground clearance...

I'd really like to change the body (there are alternatives around i hope?) and - eventually - the tires, but other than that it seems to match my requirements pretty much spot on.

Thanks for the Fireteam suggestions!
Tbh, I never really had an in-depth look at the Fireteam due to its looks, but after reading up on it and watching some vids, it might be the perfect fit indeed. Very long, very wide, well planted, good ground clearance...

I'd really like to change the body (there are alternatives around i hope?) and - eventually - the tires, but other than that it seems to match my requirements pretty much spot on.
You bet! I built what I call an Arrma Wolverine, it's a Mojave chassis, which is the same as a Fire Team, Kraton arms which are also the same as the FT.. i used a Redcat Shredder body, but there are some others out there. I believe I posted a couple pics in this thread below. @sumguy75 built a beautiful rig here..
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...ter-truck-conversion.60455/page-3#post-921107

Not one of them would keep up with a properly set up Mojave and especially fireteam configuration…

Not one of them would keep up with a properly set up Mojave and especially fireteam configuration…
I beg to differ. I have a Talion, Fireteam, Typhon, and Mojave. I put the Fireteam wheels on the Talion and it runs circles around everything else I have.

I like both the FT and the Mojo. No doubt the extra inch or so helps straight line stability, but both weigh considerably more than the the 3 rigs the OP mentioned.. that alone means they need more power to achieve the same speeds.
No problem that can't be overcome by say a 4985 though.

I beg to differ. I have a Talion, Fireteam, Typhon, and Mojave. I put the Fireteam wheels on the Talion and it runs circles around everything else I have.
I can definitely believe that. Weight is a real drawback on both the FT and Mojo. Someone mentioned that a kraton needs alot of changes to be similar to a Talion.. I know the Talion has sharper steering, but otherwise, they're very similar IMO. Put the same tires and body on both, it's almost impossible to feel a difference in driving.. between my brother and I, we have KEXB, Talion EXB and K6 V5..as well as 2 E Revos..

I can definitely believe that. Weight is a real drawback on both the FT and Mojo. Someone mentioned that a kraton needs alot of changes to be similar to a Talion.. I know the Talion has sharper steering, but otherwise, they're very similar IMO. Put the same tires and body on both, it's almost impossible to feel a difference in driving.. between my brother and I, we have KEXB, Talion EXB and K6 V5..as well as 2 E Revos..
I agree. My brother has a Kraton and they drive very similarly to the Talion. Can't go wrong with either one.
I feel like the Mojave is really fun to race against other Mojaves. You can bump into each other and the wheels don't get tangled up. It reminds me of off-road NASCAR. Brings out my inner Cole Trickle 😎

I agree. My brother has a Kraton and they drive very similarly to the Talion. Can't go wrong with either one.
I feel like the Mojave is really fun to race against other Mojaves. You can get bump into each other and the wheels don't get tangled up. It reminds me of off-road NASCAR. Brings out my inner Cole Trickle 😎
Indeed, we race each other on a small clay track at my house.. we literally race everything from 1/10 3s to Xmaxx's. I love the Mojo!! Super cool truck!! Unfortunately, he doesn't have anything that matches up with it, and it's a real handful to hustle around a track trying to keep pace with a truggy.. so, I turned the Mojo into the Wolverine with kraton suspension and the KEXB became a Typhon XL with Mojo suspension and tires..
The Typhon XL is the winner between the 2 creations..the Wolverine is just a bit too large and heavy to be competitive on track.. perhaps a bigger track would be more suited..

Ah, now we reached the point where things become interesting... :)
Paraphrasing a bit, what I read so far boils down to this:
  • Kraton could offer what I'm looking for, but to achieve a similarly precise and controlled handling as the Talion it may need smaller tires and probably a faster suspension setup (i.e., more rebound, less compression)
  • Talion could offer what I'm looking for, but for rough terrain it might need larger tires, which negatively impact handling precision and control
  • Fireteam could offer what I'm looking for (and brings a handbrake as an additional feature), but it's heavy and will require weight reduction to achieve the same speeds the others can do in stock configuration

If I got that right, I could basically pick whichever I'd fancy as they all fulfill my requirements?

Just to clarify:
What I'm looking for is performance similar to what is shown in the Traxxas promo video below (from 0:43), including the ability to shred over water.
Traxxas promotional video

I will run the car - whichever one I might end up with - in offroad parks mainly, so terrain will consist of both hardpack as well as lots of crisscrossing tracks from MT-style tire treads. With the Outcast, it's really hard to keep the front down , and you have to be extremely careful to keep the truck from cartwheeling when braking. That's where I really want more stability.

We all know how to do that, right? Plug in the battery, tx on, truck on then hammer the trigger!!🤣
Yep, that’s what RTR purchasers all say 🤭

You aren’t keeping up on the straights with a small tire open rig, and you sure as hell aren’t doing hairpins with big Mt tires without a lockup brake.

The Talion does have the best Cg for an 1/8 scale however due to the v3 balanced layout.

This is my 4S Mojave with handbrake 😂
B71F1E10-01D7-4C3B-9A0D-DD13E56FBAC5.jpeg

All in good fun, it’s just a hobby unless you’re at the track!

Last edited:
Ah, now we reached the point where things become interesting... :)
Paraphrasing a bit, what I read so far boils down to this:
  • Kraton could offer what I'm looking for, but to achieve a similarly precise and controlled handling as the Talion it may need smaller tires and probably a faster suspension setup (i.e., more rebound, less compression)
  • Talion could offer what I'm looking for, but for rough terrain it might need larger tires, which negatively impact handling precision and control
  • Fireteam could offer what I'm looking for (and brings a handbrake as an additional feature), but it's heavy and will require weight reduction to achieve the same speeds the others can do in stock configuration

If I got that right, I could basically pick whichever I'd fancy as they all fulfill my requirements?

Just to clarify:
What I'm looking for is performance similar to what is shown in the Traxxas promo video below (from 0:43), including the ability to shred over water.
Traxxas promotional video

I will run the car - whichever one I might end up with - in offroad parks mainly, so terrain will consist of both hardpack as well as lots of crisscrossing tracks from MT-style tire treads. With the Outcast, it's really hard to keep the front down , and you have to be extremely careful to keep the truck from cartwheeling when braking. That's where I really want more stability.
Any of the 3 you're looking at will water skip I think..with the right gearing and tires. I must say, the TRX Talon tires that come on the Revo are poop.. really bad. Heavy, no grip, and come unglued if you look at them wrong.. just tires though, and likely, you'll go through many if you run high speed alot..come to think of it, all 3 come with crappy tires so, no bonus with any of them IMO.

You aren’t keeping up on the straights with a small tire open rig, and you sure as hell aren’t doing hairpins with big Mt tires without a lockup brake.

The Talion does have the best Cg for an 1/8 scale however due to the v3 balanced layout.

View attachment 291800
I like those tires 😍 Brand?

Typhon is a high speed beast on dirt and very short/thin grass. Handles high speed in smaller areas best IMO because you can turn, whip it around, and rocket out of it easier than the bigger rigs. If you have more room, its still great to an extent, but small dips & golf ball size rocks sent me for the "go home early" cartwheels enough I stopped going to the rougher spots. You can go up in tire size a bit but will feel like a different rig, not necessarily a bad thing I just never went bigger than 2.8MT size which are only a little taller, so not enough to make a difference to me.

With my FT I have run the stock body/tires a few runs and it handles rough terrain great and is surprisingly controllable doing full throttle rips with a Max6/4092 on 22/46 gearing. Stock tires are ugly, but very capable and handle 6s easy, least ballooning I've seen from a non belted tire. Stock body offers a lot of protection, I have it set aside for doing some modifications and using it later on.

I wanted an MT body on it and bought a Proline 13.9 inch wheelbase crawler body (covered in my build thread @KnowAir so kindly mentioned above 😎). It can sit a lot lower than the stock FT body so a lower CG and takes turns at higher speeds a little easier. I'm also a confessed tire buying addict so I've already added the Backflips, Backflip LPs and will add another set this week, lol. I ran a total of 4 packs of 6s through it this weekend with the MT body and full size Backflips and it handled great on smooth and rough terrain.

A stretched Talion or Mojave are both good options too, just depends on if the extra tire height of the FT would be useful for your terrain and driving style.

View attachment 291800
4s?

Shame you don't like the Senton. A Senton 6S sounds like it'd be perfect for you. I get the look thing cause it took a while for me to warm up to the SCT look also. I bought a used one from LHS and I've been in love ever since...complete animal on just about any surface. Only issue is due to the smaller width you get a lot of barrel rolls and cartwheels that can lead to "long walks of shame". But with the extra padding the Senton just takes all of it...flip it back over and go (look at the walks as exercise) LOL.
You can also consider building a hybrid of what you want too. The Talion is a great place to start. I'd say get a Talion if you wanna keep it simple. I was a Talion man before I got into the Senton. A Kraton would be my next choice. A Fireteam is really a Mojave with longer arms and a different body. You could make some combination of the 4 to get a Talion or Kraton XL. I want to do a Senton XL (Senton towers on LWB Talion/Kraton chassis but I haven't found a body that would make sense yet. I may try just widening it with Mojave arms and/or Kraton hubs to see how that goes. The beauty of the Arrma 6S lineup is that most if not all the parts are interchangeable so can "make" any type of car to suit what you want to do.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back