Question on removing red wheel nut

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sxndrog18

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi guys does anyone know how to remove the bar in the wheel nut? Usually it falls out but this one is a bit stubborn. Any suggestions?

image.jpg

Did you loosen the set screw in the hub?
⬆️ make sure set screw is out first.

Then anything that will fit in that hole. I use a punch and small hammer/mallet.

2.5mm hexed grub screw is inside the axle. Clean it out of any dirt first!
Loosen it. Doesn't even need to be Removed at all. But use a torch or Heat first to loosen the Threaldocker first. Like stated above. Or you will strip the Grub screw and will Cry. :cry: Don't use the "L" hex wrenches at all. Toss them if you are!!! MIP hex drivers are the best. What I used for 20+ years now.
Need a nice Handled Hex driver. Then use an awl or similar to tap out the "Cross Pin". That grub screw does not even need any Threadlocker and doesn't need to be tight at all. Just Snug. The Cross Pin is held captive anyway by the wheels Hex when installed.
You took a good hit on that Hex adapter. Replacing it at all? The threads are all tore up. Look closely for other impact damage there.

Last edited:
Best way to loosen up that grub screw is to put some Heat to it with a small butane torch..
I used a crescent wrench to get a good grip on the hub and act as a heatshield & put the torch to that grub within it ,like so >>

1686840696245.png

After a few minutes or so of heating.. Quickly use the appropriate driver to unscrew the grub..
It should come right out with very little effort >>

1686840796051.png

That pin will drop right out after that.

Reference Link -
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/dumpster-fire-or-a-diamond-in-the-rough.58743/page-5#post-914825

If you don't have a mini torch, a pencil-type soldering iron might work. As long as you can get the tip of the soldering iron in to the grub screw, it should work. That's how I get mine loosened: some screws need to be heated longer than others, but it's never failed yet.

2.5mm hexed grub screw is inside the axle. Clean it out of any dirt first!
Loosen it. Doesn't even need to be Removed at all. But use a torch or Heat first to loosen the Threaldocker first. Like stated above. Or you will strip the Grub screw and will Cry. :cry: Don't use the "L" hex wrenches at all. Toss them if you are!!! MIP hex drivers are the best. What I used for 20+ years now.
Need a nice Handled Hex driver. Then use an awl or similar to tap out the "Cross Pin". That grub screw does not even need any Threadlocker and doesn't need to be tight at all. Just Snug. The Cross Pin is held captive anyway by the wheels Hex when installed.
You took a good hit on that Hex adapter. Replacing it at all? The threads are all tore up. Look closely for other impact damage there.
With all due respect, I prefer a quality L-key for any screw that requires any real "torque" to install or remove.. I get much better leverage/feel from my L-keys than a nut driver. Just me✌
Edit: it is easy to "misuse" an L-key and strip screws though.
I have built and rebuilt many an rc over the years with my L-keys.. maybe why I have these strange callouses on me thumbs?🤔🤪🤣🍻

Guys I tried my best To get the grub screw out but unfortunately after Half an hour all I did was wear down the grub itself (I did blast it with a heatgun for 5 mins before attempting to unscrew to loosen the glue) . So now it’s really hard to get a grip on that bastard haha. Any ideas on how to remove it now?

Guys I tried my best To get the grub screw out but unfortunately after Half an hour all I did was wear down the grub itself (I did blast it with a heatgun for 5 mins before attempting to unscrew to loosen the glue) . So now it’s really hard to get a grip on that bastard haha. Any ideas on how to remove it now?
Force the pin out with a punch. You will have to use force to get it back in as well. I have a stripped out grub screw in one of my Arrmas and don't feel like replacing the stub axle so I go through this every time I need to change the bearings.

Force the pin out with a punch. You will have to use force to get it back in as well. I have a stripped out grub screw in one of my Arrmas and don't feel like replacing the stub axle so I go through this every time I need to change the bearings.
They go easier after being hammered a few times,LOL. I got a couple disciples in the herd too😆 be sure those wheelnuts are nice and tight!!

If you don't have a mini torch, a pencil-type soldering iron might work. As long as you can get the tip of the soldering iron in to the grub screw, it should work. That's how I get mine loosened: some screws need to be heated longer than others, but it's never failed yet.
I usually apply heat until I smell the TL burning. A sweet smell. The smell of success.:ROFLMAO:

I had the same exact problem last night, I totally forgot there was a grub screw in there. I took out the screw that holds it in, but still couldn't get the darn thing out.

Ended up taking off the whole hub instead and leaving it on lol, I was still able to replace the broken driveshaft.

Don't forget to loctite it back on (y)

21 replies on how to get a grub screw out...

Great to know though! If I ever need to take a light bulb out, I know where to go! :LOL:
We've all been there and everyone likes to help so.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back