Setup for DJI o3 air unit? FPV on rc car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some inspiration for you.
This guy uses your dji setup with TBS Crossfire and Radiolink..impressive range.

@rotauq Yes, no signal glitches when the motor is powered on, like magic.

This video is pretty sick, will have to watch some other videos of him to see his exact Radiolink setup.
I was interested in Chad FPVs Radiolink elrs setup but I think that's not possible with my rcg6s. I think I even saw you in his comment section 😂.
I really wished there was a surface radio with a TX module bay, just like all normal drone radios.

RC8X supports a TBS crossfire module. I am not sure if the proprietary software supports other modules or can be flashed to openTX or EdgeTX.
As it turns out I could theoretically use TBS crossfire with my remote, but I will test my range first....
But I am not willing to spend that amount of money on a RC8X just to upp my range .🤑

As it turns out I could theoretically use TBS crossfire with my remote, but I will test my range first....
But I am not willing to spend that amount of money on a RC8X just to upp my range .🤑
I am also not convinced the RC8X is worth the money. Other than the TBS module option it doesn't seem better on any other front vs my noble. I'd prefer to use expressLRS above TBS crossfire as well.

In your case i would consider to extend the antenna's as high as possible above the ground, as surface is the biggest rangekiller.
Like with: 30cm ipex to sma extender + 12dbi antenna

I am also not convinced the RC8X is worth the money. Other than the TBS module option it doesn't seem better on any other front vs my noble. I'd prefer to use expressLRS above TBS crossfire as well.

In your case i would consider to extend the antenna's as high as possible above the ground, as surface is the biggest rangekiller.
Like with: 30cm ipex to sma extender + 12dbi antenna
Ok, I want to try a new antenna before spending much money on a different transmitter module.

Do I install the high gain antenna on my radiolink transmitter and just replace the stock antenna?

How much more range can you get with that if the stock antenna was like 6dbi gain?

But I leave the stock antennas on the receiver, right? Or should I put such a huge antenna on the rc car as well?

Thanks for the help as always...

A high gain antenna makes the signal more narrow and focussed, a low-gain antenna has a wider sweep of directions. The high gain will give a stronger signal but is prone to get more interferance from trees and buildings, ect...

On my noble NB4 i have 2 active ports so i actually have a high gain antenna and an omni directional antenna. When i really need more distance i plug in a range extender (signal booster) before the high gain antenna.

I think(top of my head) gain about 10% range with just the high gain attenna and another 30% with extender.

The receiver in the car, you just want to have the antenna as high as possible to clear the ground interferance. A high gain antenna will not improve the receiving signal, but as they often are long and strudly it's an easy way to gain height

At this point I am happy to have not adressed my radio range limitations. I will probably just buy the new Radiomaster MT12.
With ELRS it probably has the best range and penetration per dollar.
And it does not cost significantly more than my radiolink radio.

https://www.radiomasterrc.com/products/mt12-surface-radio-controller?variant=48008717926631
Screenshot 2023-11-02 120854.png

Being in the EU should you order the FCC or LBT version? Can the FCC radio be imported into the eu? Or can you order the LBT version and then install the FCC firmware?
But the LBT version should already have more range than any stock radio... so probably not that important

A high gain antenna makes the signal more narrow and focussed, a low-gain antenna has a wider sweep of directions. The high gain will give a stronger signal but is prone to get more interferance from trees and buildings, ect...

On my noble NB4 i have 2 active ports so i actually have a high gain antenna and an omni directional antenna. When i really need more distance i plug in a range extender (signal booster) before the high gain antenna.

I think(top of my head) gain about 10% range with just the high gain attenna and another 30% with extender.

The receiver in the car, you just want to have the antenna as high as possible to clear the ground interferance. A high gain antenna will not improve the receiving signal, but as they often are long and strudly it's an easy way to gain height

At this point I am happy to have not adressed my radio range limitations. I will probably just buy the new Radiomaster MT12.
With ELRS it probably has the best range and penetration per dollar.
And it does not cost significantly more than my radiolink radio.

https://www.radiomasterrc.com/products/mt12-surface-radio-controller?variant=48008717926631
View attachment 329644

Being in the EU should you order the FCC or LBT version? Can the FCC radio be imported into the eu? Or can you order the LBT version and then install the FCC firmware?
But the LBT version should already have more range than any stock radio... so probably not that important
I just followed your link. Wow! I’d never heard of Radiomaster, but the range and list of features at this price point is insane. I’ll keep this on my radar for sure. I’d love to hear your feedback after you’ve had some time with the radio.
Greater than a Km range right out of the box?!?! I couldn’t even see the car at that point. Crazy, man.

I just followed your link. Wow! I’d never heard of Radiomaster, but the range and list of features at this price point is insane. I’ll keep this on my radar for sure. I’d love to hear your feedback after you’ve had some time with the radio.
Greater than a Km range right out of the box?!?! I couldn’t even see the car at that point. Crazy, man.
Once I have the radio in my hands I will for sure give some feedback here. But its only for preorder for now...
Finally some new tech for surface radios.

Radiomaster is pretty big in the drone and rc plane industry I think.

OMG a Radiomaster Surface RC running EdgeTX (opensource) with ELRS!!!!! This is gonna throw the market up side down. I've been hoping and waiting for this for several years now.
It doesn't look as fancy as a NB4 or RCX8. I assume the MT12 is gonna be their mid-range model.

As it's edgeTX it likely doesn't matter if you get the FCC or LBT version. It should be flashable either way. FCC allows a higher wattage, thus the one you want.

A brief intro to Radiomaster. Early 2019 Jumper released the T16. Too good of a copy of/crushing the marketleader of Air RC radio's Frsky. Open source instead of nasty proprietary system and allowing multi protocol (basicly able to use every receiver of all brands) Owners of Jumper had some internal falling out what resulted of the launch of radiomaster (launching the nearly identical TX16S 6 months later). Both brands still exist and are still in a healthy competition (good for us consumers)

ELRS is an open protocol and i am quite sure Flysky AFHDS 3 is based on simular principles. Flysky launched their low latency protocol slightly earlier but also switched to edgeTX + ELRS on their Air RC radio's as it offers more range and penetration with basicly the same low latency.

btw, i put in a pre-order.

I might not really need it, but i think i must encourage this long awaited tech. And I need first hard experience.

Several reviews have been launched on youtube. Funny enough it's mostly drone reviewers who have no/low experience with surface radio's.

btw, i put in a pre-order.

I might not really need it, but i think i must encourage this long awaited tech. And I need first hard experience.

Several reviews have been launched on youtube. Funny enough it's mostly drone reviewers who have no/low experience with surface radio's.

What version did you go with? And you could even change the output protocoll afterward to ELRS/4in1 with those nano modules.

I still try to understand wich receiver I should go with. If I use the ER6 ELRS receiver, how do I output a sbus or crsf signal for my DJI o3 air unit? Can this be done via software? And this ER6 has a RX and TX port but on the website it is only listed as a sensor input for GPS for example... Does someone understand that?

EDIT: Yes the ER6 receiver does have the sbus/crsf signal output option via LUA skript. So I will likely order this(y)

Last edited:
What version did you go with? And you could even change the output protocoll afterward to ELRS/4in1 with those nano modules.

I still try to understand wich receiver I should go with. If I use the ER6 ELRS receiver, how do I output a sbus or crsf signal for my DJI o3 air unit? Can this be done via software? And this ER6 has a RX and TX port but on the website it is only listed as a sensor input for GPS for example... Does someone understand that?

EDIT: Yes the ER6 receiver does have the sbus/crsf signal output option via LUA skript. So I will likely order this(y)
I chose the FCC/ELRS version (with no extra receivers)

I didn't check if i could ever swap it to 4in1 in a later stage. If it has a module bay (looks like something like that in the botom) it's probably only an extention upon the internal one.

For the money, I think the MT12 is a much better deal than my Radiomaster v3.
Now I have made some settings I could not have done with my old radio, but it takes some time to get used to the edge TX software...:cautious:

I made a launch control button, which while being held down, activates slow throttle ramp up and throttle expo and sets the gyro gain.
My 100/75/50 throttle setup are all with 100% brakes. So you actually can come to a safe stop when driving with limited throttle.
I finally have a asymmetrical steering mix which fits my steering geometry better.
And a safety switch to deactivate the throttle trigger.

My main selling point was the extended range for fpv driving. At home testing already shows much better RSSI and link quality.

BUUUT there are no ELRS PWM gyro receivers yet, so I had to buy an external one.

And the Failsafe has to be set by connecting your PC to the receiver's network and entering the values on the ELRS website thing.
Also I increased the standart 50hz PWM output to 333hz on CH1 and CH2.

I will do a range test with my 333hz 100mW transmitter settings...
IMG_20231213_104634.jpg

Range is just perfect for what I need. At 300 meters distance still 99 rssi. I forgot to look at the more accurate link quality figures on my radios screen.
When I directed the transmitters antenna away from the car the rssi directly fell to under 30!

And I tink my 1717 motor kevlar wrap just exploded towards the end of my drive:poop:. The car came to a very violent stop from 127kmh. I will have to figure castles warranty procedure out.

Screenshot 2023-12-17 234506.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back